||King Street Baptist Church, Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario
||begun 10 Nov 1895
||Yes, date unknown
||Buildings and Organizations
||24 Jun 2012 |
- Highland Baptist Church
Begun: 1895 (See also Glen Acres Baptist Church, Waterloo)
A congregation, which was eventually to become two congregations, was organized on November 10, 1895 by a group of English-speaking Baptists, some from the German Baptist Church on Benton Street. There were 25 charter members. The new congregation met in the YMCA for two years until a Sunday School building, to be used for church services as well, was erected on King Street West, on the southeast corner of King and Water Streets. Rev. P.A. McEwan was the first regular pastor. Building of a church, to be named King Street Baptist Church, began in 1906 and was completed in 1907.
In 1958 part of the congregation built a new church on Highland Road; the other part held services in a school until 1959 when their own church, Glen Acres Baptist Church, opened in Waterloo. The King Street Church was sold and then demolished, to be replaced by a Bank of Commerce building.
Baptism dates: 1895- Location of records: at church
Marriage dates: 1895- Location of records: at church
Burial dates: 1895- Location of records: at church
Membership lists for 1895-1899 are at the Canadian Baptist Archives, and can be seen with written permission from the church.
[ADDRESS/LOCATION: 135 Highland Rd. W., Kitchener, ON N2M 3B9; 745-9461.]
References: Benton Street Baptist Church 1976; R. Taylor 1986; Uttley 1937:299-300.1a
1aAmbrose, Rosemary. Waterloo County Churches A Research Guide to Churches Established Before 1900. Kitchener, Ontario, Canada: Waterloo-Wellington Branch, Ontario Genealogical Society, 1993. [used the kind permission of Rosemary Ambrose 2011]
|Church - organized - 1895 - King Street Baptist Church, Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario