Waterloo Region Generations
A record of the people of Waterloo Region, Ontario.
Search

Rev. John P. Hincks
Male 1832 - Yes, date unknown


HomeHome    SearchSearch    PrintPrint    Add BookmarkAdd Bookmark

Personal Information    |    Notes    |    Sources    |    Event Map    |    All    |    PDF

  • Prefix  Rev. 
    Birth  1832  Ireland Find all individuals with events at this location  [1
    Gender  Male 
    Occupation  1877  Trinity Anglican Church, Cambridge, Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Minister 
    Occupation  1877  Trinity Anglican Church, Cambridge, Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    minister 
    Occupation  1881  Galt (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location  [1
    Clergyman 
    Eby ID Number  Waterloo-104120 
    Died  Yes, date unknown 
    Person ID  I104120  Generations
    Last Modified  13 Apr 2017 

    Family  Frances F.,   b. 1842, , Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown 
    Children 
     1. Edward L. Hincks,   b. 1861, , Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown
     2. Thomas F. Hincks,   b. 1877, , Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown
     3. Charlotte G. Hincks,   b. Sep 1880, , Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown
    Family ID  F26672  Group Sheet

  • Notes 
    • Trinity Anglican Church

      An Anglican missionary, Rev. Michael Boomer, arrived in Galt in 1840 to organize the community's first Anglican congregation. Services were held in the Township Hall until the fall of 1844 when a new stone church was completed. The building was opened and consecrated in October, 1844 by Dr. Strachan, Bishop of the Diocese of Toronto. Land for the church had been donated by the Dickson family and the cost of the building was assumed largely by the Dicksons and by Absalom Shade. The first Rector of Trinity Church, Rev. Michael Boomer, was to minister to the Galt congregation until moving to London in 1872 when he became Principal of Huron College and Dean of the Huron diocese. Dean Boomer was followed by Reverend Canons Brock (1872-1873), Curran (1873-1877), Hinks (1877-1886) and Rev. Canon Ridley who was rector from 1886 until his sudden death in November 1915.
      The first Parish Hall was built in 1855 through the generosity of Mr. Shade. When Mr. Shade died in 1862 his Will provided funds for the construction of a Rectory along with an endowment fund to provide for the rector's salary. The church was enlarged in 1856, and in 1868 the Parish Hall was made larger. The interior of the church was altered in 1885-1886 and the Norman Tower was added during the same time frame through the generosity of Matthew Wilks. Work began on rebuilding the Parish Hall with the laying of the cornerstone on July 17, 1911. Electric lighting was installed in 1916. The Parish Hall was further enlarged in 1956; the new Chapel of the Holy Trinity was built about the same time.
      Canon Ridley established a Mission in Preston in 1888. Construction of St. John's Anglican Church in that community was begun in 1889 with dedication services held in 1890. St. James Anglican Church in Hespeler also began as a Mission of Galt. Work began in 1919 on St. David's Mission at the corner of Pollock and Chalmers Street in Galt. The Mission, which began as a Sunday School, was dedicated by Archbishop Williams in April 1920.1

      1Waterloo County Churches A Research Guide To Churches Established Before 1900 By Rosemary Ambrose

      _________________________________

      St. James Anglican Church

      As a mission of Trinity Anglican Church, Galt, the first Anglican service was conducted by Rev. Canon Hinks of Galt in the Royal Templars' Hall on Cooper Street. Later services were held in the Temperance Hall. The Parish of St. James was organized in 1884 and on June 17, 1893 the cornerstone was laid for a church. Dedication services were held on October 28, 1893 by Bishop Baldwin of the Diocese of Huron. St. James was separated on January 1, 1890 from Preston, to which it had been attached since its organization, and continued on as a separate parish. Rev. E. Lee became Rector but only for a short time as he resigned in the Fall of 1890. Rev. W.N. Duthie then became rector of the parish, effective November 1, 1890. The congregation celebrated a Golden Jubilee in 1943. This first church, which was located at 30 Harvey Street, Cambridge (Hespeler), Ontario, was closed in 1990 when a new church was erected on Ellis Road.2

      2Waterloo County Churches A Research Guide To Churches Established Before 1900 By Rosemary Ambrose

  • Sources 
    1. [S336] Census - ON, Waterloo, Galt - 1881, Galt Division 2 Page 97.

  • Event Map
    Event
    Link to Google MapsBirth - 1832 - Ireland Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsOccupation - Minister - 1877 - Trinity Anglican Church, Cambridge, Waterloo Region, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsOccupation - minister - 1877 - Trinity Anglican Church, Cambridge, Waterloo Region, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsOccupation - Clergyman - 1881 - Galt (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario Link to Google Earth
     = Link to Google Maps 
     = Link to Google Earth