||Breslau United Brethren in Christ Church, Breslau, Ontario
|congregation begun |
||closed About 1893
||Buildings and Organizations
||17 Mar 2012 |
- Breslau United Brethren in Christ Church
Begun: c.1866 Closed: c.1893
Part of the Waterloo Circuit of the United Brethren in Christ, the congregation was added to the Circuit in 1866-1867 when the pastors were Revs. A.B. Sherk, D.B. Sherk , Henry Krupp and G. Rutt. At the Quarterly Conference of the United Brethren in Christ on July 18, 1868 approval was given for the purchase of a site for a church at Breslau. The church was built later in that year. Discussion at the Quarterly Conference on February 10, 1883 concerned a refusal to transfer a lease from the Mennonites to the Lutherans for use of the church building - whether because the church premises were being shared with the Mennonites or because the United Brethren in Christ was no longer an active congregation is not known.
Breslau is listed for the last time in the Financial Report of November 18, 1893. In June 1896 arrangements were made with the "Trustees of the Breslau Church ... to make arrangements to loan [the church] organ for use in the United Brethren Church at West Montrose ... ." In December of the next year, 1897, the Breslau Trustees were given permission to rent the church. Permission was granted later (January 12, 1901) to sell the church.
Baptism dates: unknown Location of records: some at United Church Archives
Marriage dates: unknown Location of records: some at United Church Archives
Burial dates: unknown Location of records: some at United Church Archives
There are references to this congregation at the United Church Archives in the Waterloo Circuit Register of the United Brethren in Christ Church for 1874-1879.
References: Bloomingdale W.I.; Cressman, WHS 1969(57):39; R. Taylor 1986; United Brethren in Christ Church.1a
1aAmbrose, Rosemary. Waterloo County Churches A Research Guide to Churches Established Before 1900. Kitchener, Ontario, Canada: Waterloo-Wellington Branch, Ontario Genealogical Society, 1993. [used the kind permission of Rosemary Ambrose 2011]
|Church - congregation begun - Abt 1866 - Breslau United Brethren in Christ Church, Breslau, Ontario