||St. Paul's Lutheran Church, Erbsville, Ontario
||796 Erbsville Rd., Waterloo, Ontario
||still standing 2011
||Buildings and Organizations
||6 Dec 2011 |
- St. Paul's Lutheran Church
St. Paul's, associated with St. Peter's, Heidelberg, was founded in 1852 by Rev. Franz Adam Peifer (1852-1859). Land was donated for a cement block church (since known as Allemang Church) and cemetery, which were located several miles north of Erbsville. The church was completed in 1853 and the Kirchenbuch (Church Book) was begun in the next year, 1854, by Rev. Peifer. The present yellow brick church was built in 1877 in the village. Rev. Peifer died in 1859 and in 1860 Rev. Daniel Stahlschmidt began his ministry to the two congregations of St. Paul's and St. Peter's, Heidelberg; he was followed by Rev. J. Brezing in 1873 who ministered to the congregation until 1887. Services in German were conducted in this church from the beginning until 1939 when German language services were discontinued. An addition was built on the back of the church in 1952.
[The stone marker above the front door reads: "Evan. Lutheran/St. Paulus Kirche/1877".]
Baptism dates: 1878- Location of records: St. Peter's, Heidelberg
Marriage dates: 1878- Location of records: St. Peter's, Heidelberg
Burial dates: 1878- Location of records: St. Peter's, Heidelberg
An old book, containing Baptism, Confirmation, Marriage, and Communicants' records for the years 1854-1877, is located at the Eastern Canada Synod Lutheran Church Archives at Wilfrid Laurier University. Text in the book is in German.
[ADDRESS/LOCATION: In Erbsville, on the east side of the road. The Church is one of a two-point charge with St. Peter's Lutheran Church in Heidelberg. Contact Heidelberg-Erbsville Lutheran Church Parish; St. Clements 699-4171]
References: Cronmiller 1961:120-121; Eylands 1945:77-78; R. Taylor 1986; WHS 1961(49):69-71.1a
1aAmbrose, Rosemary. Waterloo County Churches A Research Guide to Churches Established Before 1900. Kitchener, Ontario, Canada: Waterloo-Wellington Branch, Ontario Genealogical Society, 1993. [used the kind permission of Rosemary Ambrose 2011]