||Of, Branchton, Waterloo Region, Ontario
||Branchton United Church, Branchton, Ontario
|Eby ID Number
||Yes, date unknown
||14 Mar 2017 |
- Branchton United Church
Begun: 1859 Closed: 1970
On the Sheffield Circuit of the Wesleyan Methodists to begin with, the congregation was on the St. George Circuit when a decision was made to build a church in 1859. Built with financial assistance from the Branchton and area Presbyterians, the stone church was dedicated in December 1859; the minister at the dedication service was Rev. William Lund. Rev. Thomas Fawcett, from St. George, was the congregation's first minister. As a condition of their financial support, the Presbyterians held services in the church on alternate Sundays until c.1875 when they began to meet in the Branchton Hall. The church was associated with St. George at this time, in the Brantford District of the London Conference of the Methodist Church.
The church remained Methodist until 1910. In July 1911, the Presbyterians bought the building for $350. Rev. C.D. Farquharson was minister to the newly-organized Presbyterian congregation. Improvements were made to the church building over the next few years: the church was redecorated, new seats were purchased, gas lighting was installed (in 1914), and a porch was built on the front of the church, in 1915.1a
1aAmbrose, Rosemary. Waterloo County Churches A Research Guide to Churches Established Before 1900. Kitchener, Ontario, Canada: Waterloo-Wellington Branch, Ontario Genealogical Society, 1993.