||16 Jan 1851
||Waterloo Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario [2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7]
||Hespeler (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario 
||Waterloo Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario 
||Waterloo Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario 
||Breslau Missionary Church, Breslau, Ontario
|Eby ID Number
||18 Jan 1942 
||Wanner Mennonite Cemetery, Cambridge, Waterloo Region, Ontario 
||13 Apr 2017 |
hdw_cdn originally shared this to Ancestry Public Member Tree
- Rev. Henry Goudie, "was born January, 16th, 1851. When a young man he was converted and joined himself with the Mennonite Brethren in Christ. Some years ago he entered the ministry and has up to the present proved himself an able minister in winning souls for Christ. His sermons are clear, instructive and full of Spirit. None of those dry and merely a repetition of old worn-out-phrase sermons but are full of life and very impressive. He is well received by all parties. During his three years labor in Berlin he has done much good among all classes. After the expiration of the third year (March, 1895) in Berlin, the conference had him stationed at Elmwood, Ontario, where he now resides. He is married to Sarah Wildfong and has a family of seven children".1a
1aThe Biographical History of Waterloo Township, by Ezra Eby
Goudie, Henry (1851-1942)
Henry Goudie (16 January 1851-19 January 1942) was the organizer and first district superintendent of the Canadian Northwest Conference of the United Missionary Church (now Evangelical Missionary Church). He was born near Hespeler, ON a son of David and Nancy Goudie. In 1872 Henry married Sarah Wildfong. Together they had two sons and five daughters. Following Mrs. Goudie's death he married Mrs. Susannah Lageer in 1923.
In 1870 he was converted and in 1874 he became a charter member of the Reformed Mennonites. This group would later unite with other groups to form the Mennonite Brethren in Christ Church (now the Evangelical Missionary Church). Goudie began to preach in 1877 and was stationed at Port Elgin in 1878, being ordained by the Ontario conference in 1881. He served as pastor at Port Elgin, Breslau, New Dundee, Stayner, Markham, Kitchener (Bethany), Hanover, Shrigley, Toronto (Bethel), Aylmer, and Hespeler in Ontario. He also pastored at Mayton and Markham in Alberta. For 14 years he served as district superintendent: five years in Ontario (1900-5) and nine years in Alberta (1907-13, 1916-19). He retired in 1926 after a service of 50 years. He died 19 January 1942, just three days after his 91st birthday and was buried in the Wanner cemetery at Hespeler (Cambridge).2a
2aStorms, Everek R. "Goudie, Henry (1851-1942)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 13 Nov 2005 <http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/G683ME.html>
Breslau Missionary Church
Meetings are reported to have been held in 1872 in a building at the corner of Woolwich Street and Mader Lane by a group who were followers of Solomon Eby. Conferences to consider reorganization of the church were held in 1874 and 1875, the most important of which was considered to have been the meeting at the Bloomingdale Mennonite Church on May 23, 1875. Members of the New Mennonites and the Reforming (or Reformed) Mennonites joined together at that meeting as the United Mennonites. At a meeting in Blair in 1879 a union, called the Evangelical United Mennonites, was formed from the United Mennonites and the Evangelical Mennonites. Four years later, in 1883, the Ohio Brethren in Christ (Tunker) joined with the Evangelical United Mennonites to form the Mennonite Brethren in Christ.
Dedication services were held on Christmas Day, 1882, for the new Breslau Mennonite Church which had been built during the year. Henry Goudie was minister to the congregation from 1881-1884. He was followed by Peter Geiger (1884-1885) and Frank Moyer (1885-1886). Solomon Eby, a member of the congregation who was minister from 1886-1889, had been one of the organizers on May 15, 1874 of the Reforming Mennonites.
On May 6, 1959 a decision was made to construct an 1800 square foot addition to the church. The sanctuary was enlarged and new pews were installed in 1978; dedication was in September of that year. Rev. Leonard DeWitt, president of the Missionary Church was guest speaker on Sunday, November 21, 1982, when the church's 100th Anniversary service was held. Of interest: the sign eteched in the glass above the doors on the northwest side of the back section reads "United Missionary Church."3a
3aWaterloo County Churches A Research Guide To Churches Established Before 1900 By Rosemary Ambrose
- [S10] 644.
- [S3] 715.
- [S131] gives age and country of birth
- [S397] Stayner F-1 Page 12.
- [S163] East: Rev. Henry Goudie / 1851-1942 / Sarah Widfong / wife of / Rev. Henry Goudie / born Oct.22,1850 / died Sept.26,1921 / aged 70 yrs 11 m. 4 d / At rest / goudie
- [S604] Div. 2, Pg. 26.
- [S1837] Div. 2 Page 12.
|Birth - 16 Jan 1851 - Waterloo Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario
|Religion - Mennonite - 1861 - Hespeler (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario
|Occupation - Farmer - 1871 - Waterloo Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario
|Religion - Mennonite - 1871 - Waterloo Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario
|Occupation - minister - 1881 - Breslau Missionary Church, Breslau, Ontario
|Buried - - Wanner Mennonite Cemetery, Cambridge, Waterloo Region, Ontario