Waterloo Region Generations
A record of the people of Waterloo Region, Ontario.
Search

Rev. Peter Geiger
Male 1835 - Yes, date unknown


HomeHome    SearchSearch    PrintPrint    Add BookmarkAdd Bookmark

Personal Information    |    Notes    |    Sources    |    Event Map    |    All    |    PDF

  • Prefix  Rev. 
    Birth  11 Jan 1835  Wilmot Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location  [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
    Gender  Male 
    Residence  1874  North Dumfries Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location  [6
    Occupation  1881  Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location  [4
    Minister 
    Religion  1881  Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location  [4
    Mennonite 
    Occupation  1884  Breslau Missionary Church, Breslau, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    minister 
    Occupation  1901  Waterloo Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location  [2
    Merchant 
    Religion  1911  Breslau, Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location  [5
    Mennonite 
    Retired  1911  Breslau, Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location  [5
    Eby ID Number  00038-3062 
    Died  Yes, date unknown 
    Buried  Breslau Mennonite (Cressman's) Cemetery, Breslau, Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Person ID  I12142  Generations
    Last Modified  15 Mar 2017 

    Father  David Geiger,   b. 17 Mar 1796, , Germany Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 9 Apr 1869, Wilmot Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Mother  Barbara Steinacker,   b. 17 Sep 1798, Of, Wilmot Centre, Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 17 Oct 1846 
    Family ID  F3372  Group Sheet

    Family 1  Mary Ann Wilson,   b. 19 Feb 1840,   d. 25 Nov 1873 
    Married  1 Jan 1858  [1
    Children 
     1. Albert Shepperd Geiger,   b. 19 Jun 1859, Hay Twp., Huron Co., Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown
     2. James H. Geiger,   b. 1 Dec 1861, , Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown
     3. Adeline E. Geiger,   b. 9 Aug 1864, , Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown
     4. Annie M. Geiger,   b. 26 Jan 1870, , Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown
     5. Lovina M. Geiger,   b. 16 Apr 1871, , Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown
     6. John Geiger,   b. 18 Nov 1873, , Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 22 Nov 1873
    Family ID  F3386  Group Sheet

    Family 2  Elizabeth R. Scheirich,   b. 13 Mar 1847, Waterloo Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown 
    Family ID  F189186  Group Sheet

    Family 3  Annie Byer,   b. 1830, Markham Twp., York Co., Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown 
    Married  6 Oct 1874  Markham, York Co., Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location  [1, 6
    Family ID  F3387  Group Sheet

  • Notes 
    • Peter Geiger, "(Second Peter was born after the decease of the first one) the seventh child of David and Barbara (Steinacker) Geiger, was born near Wilmot Centre, January 11th, 1835. On January 1st, 1858, he was married to Mary Ann Wilson who was born February 19th 1840, and died November 25th, 1873. After the decease of his first wife he was married to Annie Byer, widow of the late J. Lemon Connor, October 6th, 1874. At present they reside in Breslau, Ontario. Soon after the Mennonite Brethren in Christ were fully organized in 1874, he entered the ministry of that body and was a diligent laborer for Christ and His kingdom. He did good work on every field where he was stationed. Of late years he had to retire from active service owing to failing in health. His family consisted of six children"1a

      1aThe Biographical History of Waterloo Township, by Ezra Eby

      __________________________________

      Breslau Missionary Church

      Meetings are reported to have been held in 1872 in a building at the corner of Woolwich Street and Mader Lane by a group who were followers of Solomon Eby. Conferences to consider reorganization of the church were held in 1874 and 1875, the most important of which was considered to have been the meeting at the Bloomingdale Mennonite Church on May 23, 1875. Members of the New Mennonites and the Reforming (or Reformed) Mennonites joined together at that meeting as the United Mennonites. At a meeting in Blair in 1879 a union, called the Evangelical United Mennonites, was formed from the United Mennonites and the Evangelical Mennonites. Four years later, in 1883, the Ohio Brethren in Christ (Tunker) joined with the Evangelical United Mennonites to form the Mennonite Brethren in Christ.

      Dedication services were held on Christmas Day, 1882, for the new Breslau Mennonite Church which had been built during the year. Henry Goudie was minister to the congregation from 1881-1884. He was followed by Peter Geiger (1884-1885) and Frank Moyer (1885-1886). Solomon Eby, a member of the congregation who was minister from 1886-1889, had been one of the organizers on May 15, 1874 of the Reforming Mennonites.

      On May 6, 1959 a decision was made to construct an 1800 square foot addition to the church. The sanctuary was enlarged and new pews were installed in 1978; dedication was in September of that year. Rev. Leonard DeWitt, president of the Missionary Church was guest speaker on Sunday, November 21, 1982, when the church's 100th Anniversary service was held. Of interest: the sign eteched in the glass above the doors on the northwest side of the back section reads "United Missionary Church."2a

      2aWaterloo County Churches A Research Guide To Churches Established Before 1900 By Rosemary Ambrose

      ________________________________


      Bethany Missionary Church

      A congregation of Reforming (or Reformed) Mennonites was organized at a meeting on May 15, 1874 by a group of church members who had been excommunicated from their former church. A conference at Bloomingdale on March 23, 1875 resulted in the union of Reforming (or Reformed) Mennonites and New Mennonites into a new group known as United Mennonites. In 1883, the congregation became a Mennonite Brethren in Christ Church and was to remain as such for the next sixty-four years. In November 1947 the General Conference held in Potsdam, Ohio approved a change of name to United Missionary Church. During meetings held from March 12 to 16, 1969 the former United Missionary Church and the former Missionary Church Association joined together to form The Missionary Church.

      Early meetings of what would become known as Bethany Mennonite Church were held in homes until the summer of 1877 when a church was built on the present site on Lancaster Street East, at the future corner of that street and Chapel Street. The church was the twelfth one to be built in Berlin. Completion and dedication of the new church was in late December, 1877. Services were held in German in the beginning with English-language services being introduced in the 1880s. In 1900 a decision was made to have German-language services every other Sunday morning. A vestibule, new platform, and altar rail were added to the 1877 building in 1900, but it wasn't many years later that the need for a new and larger church became pressing. The old church was torn down in 1908 to make way for construction of a new one on the same site. Dedication Sunday was September 20, 1908. Of interest is the fact that a large tent, pitched at the back of the church property, was used for church services in the interim. The new church was known as the Berlin Congregation of the Mennonite Brethren in Christ. About this same time occasional references were made to the name of Bethany. A violent storm and high winds on the evening of November 29, 1919 caused the front part of the church roof to be lifted off. Major renovations to finish the basement and add a new heating system were made to the church in 1940, and in 1964 an Educational Wing was added.

      The first pastor was Moses Weber. He was followed by Peter Geiger, John McNally and John Steckley. Pastor C.F. Krauth was minister in 1908 when the new red brick church was built. He was followed by Cyrus N. Good, Silas Cressman and Ephraim Sievenpiper. Of interest: annual Camp Meetings were held by the congregation in Samuel Schneider's woods through the years 1887-1910.3a

      3aWaterloo County Churches A Research Guide To Churches Established Before 1900 By Rosemary Ambrose

  • Sources 
    1. [S3] Book - Vol I A Biographical History of Waterloo Township and other townships of the county : being a history of the early settlers and their descendants, mostly all of Pennsylvania Dutch origin..., 675.

    2. [S86] Census - ON, Waterloo, Waterloo South - 1901, Waterloo (South/Sud) G-6 Page 11.

    3. [S134] Census - ON, Waterloo, Wilmot - 1851, div 3 pg 7.

    4. [S158] Census - ON, Waterloo, Berlin - 1881, Div 1 Page 54.

    5. [S342] Census - ON, Waterloo, Waterloo South - 1911, Breslau, Waterloo Township Div. 5 Page 19.

    6. [S721] Vit - ON - Marriage Registration, marriage certificate 11062 (1874), Peter Geiger-Anna Conner..
      Peter Geiger, 39, res. Township of Dumfries, b. Willmot Township, minister s/o David Gieger & Barbara Steinacher married to Anna Conner, 44, res. & born Markham, d/o David Byer & Anna Dohner 6 oct 1874 residenc of the bride.

  • Event Map
    Event
    Link to Google MapsBirth - 11 Jan 1835 - Wilmot Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsResidence - 1874 - North Dumfries Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsMarried - 6 Oct 1874 - Markham, York Co., Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsOccupation - Minister - 1881 - Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsReligion - Mennonite - 1881 - Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsOccupation - minister - 1884 - Breslau Missionary Church, Breslau, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsOccupation - Merchant - 1901 - Waterloo Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsReligion - Mennonite - 1911 - Breslau, Waterloo Region, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsRetired - 1911 - Breslau, Waterloo Region, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsBuried - - Breslau Mennonite (Cressman's) Cemetery, Breslau, Waterloo Region, Ontario Link to Google Earth
     = Link to Google Maps 
     = Link to Google Earth