||of, Woolwich Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario
||Woolwich Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario 
|councillor - Woolwich Township |
|Eby ID Number
||Yes, date unknown
||15 Mar 2017 |
- THE WOOLWICH COUNCIL
A Woolwich Township Council was organized on January 21st, 1850. The councillors were: John Meyer, Edward Passmore, Peter Wenger, Peter Hay, and Wm. Veitch. They met "at Conestoga, in Kurtz's tavern." The members chose John Meyer as reeve and named James Dow as clerk and treasurer; Moses Springer as assessor on the east side of the Grand River and Christian Hurst on the west wide, each at 6 pounds ($24) a year; and Wm. Reynolds as collector, with a salary of five and a half per cent. of his collections. Charles Hendry was appointed auditor.
The council ordered a seal and studied a plan for building a bridge across the Conestoga River; appointed a road surveyor and considered the advisability of appointing a local superin-tendent of schools. For a number of years schools, bridges, roads, and the regulation of taverns were the chief items of business.
Waterloo County's provisional municipal council met in Berlin on May 3rd, 1852. Woolwich was represented by Reeve John Meyer and Deputy-Reeve Peter Wenger.1a
1aWaterloo Historical Society Annual Volume 1933 pg 134 - Woolwich Township - Its Early Settlement by W. V. Uttley
- [S2058] Book - Annual Volume 1933, pg 13 Woolwich Township - Its Early Settlement by W. V. Uttley.