Waterloo Region Generations
A record of the people of Waterloo Region, Ontario.
Search

Forsyth Dr. 0194 (House - frame) Waterloo
1845 - 2009


HomeHome    SearchSearch    PrintPrint    Add BookmarkAdd Bookmark

Personal Information    |    Media    |    Notes    |    Event Map    |    All    |    PDF

  • Birth  1845  194 Forsyth Dr., Waterloo, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender  Unknown 
    Architectural Style  constructed 1845  194 Forsyth Dr., Waterloo, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Georgian - now covered with artificial siding. 
    • Constructed by Samuel Snider Sr.
    Purpose  194 Forsyth Dr., Waterloo, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    built by Samuel Snider Sr. 
    Died  standing 2009 
    Person ID  I139  Properties
    Last Modified  30 May 2012 

  • Photos
    194 Forsyth Dr., Waterloo 1925
    194 Forsyth Dr., Waterloo 1925
    From left are daughters of Howard and Linda Snider, Carol, Elizabeth and Elaine. submitted by Marion Roes 2011
    194 Forsyth Dr., Waterloo about 2011
    194 Forsyth Dr., Waterloo about 2011
    Submitted by Marion Roes 2011

  • Notes 
    • Snider - Forsyth - Home
      194 Forsyth Dr, Waterloo
      Part of Lot 22, German Company Tract



      The Germany Company, originating in Pennsylvania, was initially comprised of 26 shareholders. These shareholders raised 10,000 pounds to purchase 60,000 acres of property which came to be known as Waterloo Township. The property was bought from Richard Beasley. He, along with two partners, had purchased a total of 94,012 acres from the Crown who held the land in trust for Chief Joseph Brant of the Mohawk or Five Nations Indians. This transaction took place in 1798.

      Lot 22 of the German Company Tract originally comprised 448 acres stretching between boundaries now defined approximately by streets Erb and Glasgow. It was sold by David and Jacob Erb, agents of the German Company, to Abraham Gingrich in 1805. In 1815, David Gingrich, Abraham's son, sold the lot to John Binkley of Ancaster. Binkley, in turn, sold the entire 448 acres to Jacob C. Snider in 1842.

      Jacob C Snider was a Mennonite. He was born in Pennsylvania in 1790 and worked as a yeoman. His wife, Elizabeth, was born in 1791. The house at 194 Forsyth Drive was built by Jacob C. Snider in 1845. This fact is recorded in the census records of 1861. The original house was a two-storey, typical Georgian frame with walls 15 - 16 inches thick. These walls were made of concrete and brick, and were covered by a clapboard exterior. The entire house, at that time, was comprised of the present day living room and centre hall. 

      In 1853, Jacob C. sold the property to his nephew, Samuel S., a farmer. In 1864, Samuel took out a mortgage for $6,000 from the Canada Permanent Building Society. The mortgage was discharged in 1863 according to the 1861 census. Samuel and his wife Anna had 8 children -  Cyrus, Elizabeth, Catherine, Hiram, Samuel, Menno, Susanna and Titus. With a family of this size it is speculated that the money was used for very needy additions. These included four second floor bedrooms, a third floor attic, a dining room, and the present-day kitchen. The architectural design of the addition was Gothic rather than the original Georgian. This is evident in the pointed cathedral window, the centre peaked roof, and the decorative mouldings above the east and west entrances to the centre hall.

      One of the interesting additions to the house involves a separate building of brick construction which may be entered from the living room of the main house. The date of this addition is unclear according to some reports. It was used as a laundry prior to 1936. In a recent interview with Mrs. Howard Snider, who moved into the house as a new bride in 1929,[Howard and Linda were married in 1919] this addition was referred to by her as the "milk house," for the farm was still operational in those years. Mrs. Snider's daughter recalls, "my sister was old enough then to do the selling [of milk] to the townspeople. We would bring the milk from the barn, and use the milk house as our dairy." It is quite possible, however, that this building had been constructed prior to 1851 as "the doddy house" of Jacob and Elizabeth, for the census records of that year described their home as a "one storey brick." It was a very common Mennonite practice in those days for parents to have an add-on building constructed to the home of a son or daughter. Housed in this room is an enormous Dutch oven which was used for cooking. It remains uncertain whether this was the original location, or whether it had been relocated from another area of the house. While the large metal doors used to close the oven have been removed to expose the hearth, the cranes for supporting huge cooking pots remain.

      Of the 448 acre property, Samuel sold 117 acres to his son, Titus, in 1903 for $8,000. In 1908, the executors of Titus Snider sold the property to George H. Hahn for $10,550. Six years later, the land was returned to the Snider family, this time to Jacob S., a ninth child of Samuel S., born after the 1861 census. The cost was $17,550. For the same amount Jacob sold the land to his son Howard S. in 1929. Jacob and his family then moved to the farm house now designated as 131 William Street West [Waterloo]. Howard sold various parcels of his land off, including a sizeable portion to the Westmount Golf and Country Club, and 56 acres, a
      at a cost of $16,782 to John Derby C. Forsyth.

      The Forsyths, who purchased the property in 1936 never lived at 194 Forsyth Drive, the street which now bears his name. It was purchased as a guest house. Shortly after they acquired the property, the old barn was torn down and an elaborate new one was built. Pine beams from the old were salvaged and sawed into mellow panelling for the livingroom and master bedroom of the house. "He didn't want to leave the land empty," said Mrs. Forsyth, "so he put in grain and bought a herd of purebred Jersey cattle. He lost money every year." 

      In 1947, the house was sold to Dominion Life Assurance Company. They planned a housing development and put the house up for sale. While the tender of Dr. Archie Case was not the highest submitted, his plans for the house most appealed to the company, and the property became his the following year. In his renovations, three-quarters of the house was replastered, and the old fashioned closed stairway was opened onto the centre hall.    Part of the livingroom was put up on jacks, and garages were constructed under it at basement level. Adverse to change of any sort in the refurbishing, Dr. Case contracted for copies of the rotting window sashes, interior trim; and clapboard for exterior repairs was specially milled.

      In 1963, the house was sold to Mr. and Mrs. J. Askin. Subsequent owners to the Askins included Mr. and Mrs. D. D. Epp in 1978 - 1980, and a Ms. D. Crossan and a Mr. D. Zimmer, 1980 - 1982.1a

      1aMuch of the research for the history was done by Marg Rowell, Waterloo. This was printed with permission by Marion Roes from the framed history hanging in the hall of the 2008 owners.

  • Event Map
    Event
    Link to Google MapsBirth - 1845 - 194 Forsyth Dr., Waterloo, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsArchitectural Style - Georgian - now covered with artificial siding. - constructed 1845 - 194 Forsyth Dr., Waterloo, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsPurpose - built by Samuel Snider Sr. - - 194 Forsyth Dr., Waterloo, Ontario Link to Google Earth
     = Link to Google Maps 
     = Link to Google Earth