Waterloo Region Generations
A record of the people of Waterloo Region, Ontario.
Search

Elmira
1000 - Yes, date unknown


HomeHome    SearchSearch    PrintPrint    Add BookmarkAdd Bookmark

Personal Information    |    Event Map    |    All    |    PDF

  • Birth  1000  Click On The Magnifying Glass Beside The Address To Open Up Links To People And Events Associated With The Address.

    use Ctrl+F to find the street, don't forget to view the Google Map at bottom.
    Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender  Unknown 
    Address  25 Erb St., Elmira, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Service Station  1000  54 Arthur St. S., Elmira, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    • Roy J. Aberle Cities Service Station

      Roy J. Aberle has conducted a successful business in the Cities Service Station, on the [north west] corner of Arthur and Water [now Wyatt] Streets, for the past 14 years.  During these years he was assisted by many High School boys who earned pin-money by working part time: Leonard Rau (killed in a car accident), Merner Saddler, Buddy Hillis (killed overseas), Harold Schaub, Laverne Miller, Norman Hathaway, Donald Brox, Art Hahn, David Rowland (at present with the R.A.F., England).  Mr. Aberle's own sons, Gerald and Neil, are now giving him a helping hand.  The rainbow-coloured Studebaker shown in the picture, and used by Roy as a service car, was featured in the 1923 Old Boys Reunion as the most up-to-date car in Elmira at that time.2a

      2aSouvenir of the Elmira Old Boys and Girls Reunion 1948, pg.39

      Roy J. Aberle Cities Service Station

      Roy J. Aberle has conducted a successful business in the Cities Service Station, on the [north west] corner of Arthur and Water [now Wyatt] Streets, for the past 14 years.  During these years he was assisted by many High School boys who earned pin-money by working part time: Leonard Rau (killed in a car accident), Merner Saddler, Buddy Hillis (killed overseas), Harold Schaub, Laverne Miller, Norman Hathaway, Donald Brox, Art Hahn, David Rowland (at present with the R.A.F., England).  Mr. Aberle's own sons, Gerald and Neil, are now giving him a helping hand.  The rainbow-coloured Studebaker shown in the picture, and used by Roy as a service car, was featured in the 1923 Old Boys Reunion as the most up-to-date car in Elmira at that time.2a

      2aSouvenir of the Elmira Old Boys and Girls Reunion 1948, pg.39.

      ____________________

      2011 note: Aberle's station was remodelled to be a Becker gas bar and convenience store some years ago, and in 2011 the building is being demolished.  A new building will be erected on the combined former Aberle and Steddick Hotel properties.
    Aberle Service Station 1948
    Aberle Service Station in 1948
    Aberle Service Station 1973
    Aberle Service Station 1973
    submitted by Marion Roes 2011
    fomer Aberle Service Station being demolished 2011
    Former Aberle Service Station in 2011
    submitted by Marion Roes 2011
    Building  Bef 2004  19 Church St. E., Elmira, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    brick buildings - demolished 2004 
    Elmira,ChurchSt.E-0019-school2.JPG
    Elmira,ChurchSt.E-0019-school2.JPG
    19 Church St. East, Elmira, Ontario
    Business -  factory 3 storey brick  20 Arthur St. N., Elmira, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Great West Felt Company 
    Elmira-GreatWestFeltCo-postcard.jpg
    Elmira-GreatWestFeltCo-postcard.jpg
    from: The Toronto Refererence Library/Special Collections 2011
    Church  1914-1915 St. James Evangelical Lutheran  60 Arthur St. S., Elmira, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    • St. James Evangelical Lutheran Church - 60 Arthur St. South

      The Lutheran congregation was organized in 1850. The corner lot was purchased for eleven pounds and five shillings, and a log building was constructed on the site of the present church. In 1869 a yellow brick church in the Upper Canada Gothic style was built. the plot of land at the rear of this church was used as a burial ground from 1850 to 1884. ...The present church was built in 1914-1915. ...1a

      1aElmira Three Walking Tours, compiled by Susan Bryant and Bertha Thompson for the Township of Woolwich LACAC (Local Architectural Conservation Advisory Committee), December, 1985 - submitted by Marion Roes  with permission of the authors 2011
    St. James Evangelical Lutheran Church 1935
    St. James Evangelical Lutheran Church 1935
    Church  1868 *Gale Presbyterian Church  2 Cross St., Elmira, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    • Gale Presbyterian Church - Cross Street

      Take a short detour down Cross St. to Gale Presbyterian Church.  Built in 1868, this church is named after Rev. Alexander Gale, a professor at Knox College, Toronto, who headed a program in the 1840s to give student ministers a chance to preach.  These students came to the church in Winterbourne, the closest Presbyterian church before this one was built.  The 1868 building was altered considerably in 1906, but care was taken to blend the additions and the old building into a pleasing whole.  The right-hand (north) portion of the building is the original structure.  The front fa?ade was very simple, with a tall gothic-arch central entrance and a small pointed-arch window above. A close look at the brick reveals where the doorway was bricked in and replaced by the round window.  Notice too the three buttresses and four gothic windows in the north wall of the original building.  In 1906, the left hand foyer, the short tower and the annex were added, while the impressive round window replaced the old doorway.  The tower with its flared eaves adds distinction to the new entrance, and its fish scale shingling is echoed in the decorative south gable end.  The gothic windows in the south side tie in with the original ones on the north side.  New memorial windows replaced the old windows in the 1940s when the church was repainted inside and out.  In 1951, a kitchen was built, and in 1970 the portable Sunday school room was added at the rear.1a

      1aElmira Three Walking Tours, compiled by Susan Bryant and Bertha Thompson for the Township of Woolwich LACAC (Local Architectural Conservation Advisory Committee), December, 1985 - submitted by Marion Roes  with permission of the authors 2011
    Factory  factory brick 3 storey  20 Arthur St. N., Elmira, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Elmira,ArthurSt.N.0020-abt2005byMarionRoes.JPG
    Elmira,ArthurSt.N.0020-abt2005byMarionRoes.JPG
    Elmira-GreatWestFeltCo-postcard.jpg
    Elmira-GreatWestFeltCo-postcard.jpg
    from: The Toronto Refererence Library/Special Collections 2011
    Hotel  1860s - 2 story brick gone  52 Arthur St. S., Elmira, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gone  
    • This building, constructed in the 1860s, is one of the oldest brick buildings in Elmira.  At one time called the Ontario House or Mogk's Hotel (Casper Mogk was the proprietor), the hotel was built at a time of rapid growth as the surrounding countryside was settled and Elmira became a centre of commerce.  Early photographs show frame outbuildings, probably stables, extending across what is now Water St. [later named Wyatt St.].  The hotel has changed over the years, but one can still see clear evidence of the original Georgian style common at this period.  Characteristics of Georgian architecture are the rectangular shape, symmetrically placed windows of uniform size, and central doorways.  A close look at the south gable wall reveals the locations of the six original windows on the main storeys, topped by one smaller window in the attic.  Notice also the S shaped hardware on this wall; these are the original beam anchors. An early photograph shows, at the front of the south wing, central doorways flanked by two windows each on both storeys.  A small balcony projected from the second storey doorway and a broad platform extended nearly the length of this wing, serving as a porch.  The front of the north wing had six symmetrically placed windows - three on each storey.1a

      1aElmira Three Walking Tours, compiled by Susan Bryant and Bertha Thompson for the Township of Woolwich LACAC (Local Architectural Conservation Advisory Committee), December, 1985 - submitted by Marion Roes  with permission of the authors 2011
    Steddick Hotel being demolished
    Steddick Hotel being demolished abt. 2009
    photo by Marion Roes
    Ontario House in 1903
    Ontario House in 1903
    52 Arthur St. S, Elmira, Ontario
    House  1860 *house frame  77 Arthur St. S., Elmira, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    • Constructed 1860
    Elmira,ArthurST.S-77.JPG
    Elmira,ArthurST.S-77.JPG
    original in possession of Marion Roes of Kitchener 2010
    Elmira,ArthurST.S-77-2010.JPG
    Elmira,ArthurST.S-77-2010.JPG
    House  1856 house brick 1 1/2 storey  31 Church St. E., Elmira, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    • Constructed by Caspar Ruppel in 1856, it is the oldest brick building in Elmira.
    Elmira,ChurchSt-0031-2011-fromMarionRoes.JPG
    Elmira,ChurchSt-0031-2011-fromMarionRoes.JPG
    from Marion Roes
    House  1907 *brick built by Charles Wilken  19 Wyatt St. E., Elmira, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    • 17 and 19 Water [Wyatt] St. East

      These twin houses were built by the well-known local mason, Charles Wilken. (Wilken did the masonry on the Great West Felt factory at the north end of Elmira; it is still in excellent shape after eighty years.) He built No. 19 for himself about 1907 and then built No 17 shortly thereafter for his wife's sister who wanted an identical house. One difference between the original buildings was in the foundation blocks; Charles' son Walter, relates that the sister-in-law and her husband spent evenings through the winter making the blocks for No. 17 by hand. The geometric latticework or treillage (a Regency feature) over the verandas is a special feature of these houses. The turned posts are also original, and the bottom railing of the upper veranda on No. 17 is probably original while that of No. 19 has been replaced. Notice also the delicate scrollwork at the top of the Italianate round-headed windows.1a

      1aMarion Roes 2011
    House  1907 *brick built by Charles Wilken  17 Wyatt St. E., Elmira, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    • 17 and 19 Water [Wyatt] St. East

      These twin houses were built by the well-known local mason, Charles Wilken. (Wilken did the masonry on the Great West Felt factory at the north end of Elmira; it is still in excellent shape after eighty years.) He built No. 19 for himself about 1907 and then built No 17 shortly thereafter for his wife's sister who wanted an identical house. One difference between the original buildings was in the foundation blocks; Charles' son Walter, relates that the sister-in-law and her husband spent evenings through the winter making the blocks for No. 17 by hand. The geometric latticework or treillage (a Regency feature) over the verandas is a special feature of these houses. The turned posts are also original, and the bottom railing of the upper veranda on No. 17 is probably original while that of No. 19 has been replaced. Notice also the delicate scrollwork at the top of the Italianate round-headed windows.1a

      1aMarion Roes 2011
    17 Wyatt St. E., Emlira
    17 Wyatt St. E., Elmira, Ontario
    House  1891 *Dunke House 2 storey brick  2 William St., Elmira, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    • Built by Jacob Dunke to came from Kitchener in 1864. Starting as a clerk in Wenger and Ruppel clothing store which was at the corner of Arthur and Church Streets. After the breakup of Wenger and Ruppel he continued with the new business Isaac Wenger store. In 1875 he opened his own store retiring at 43.
    House  Bef 1861 *log constructed by Jacob Esch  103 Arthur St. S., Elmira, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    House  1870's brick 1 1/2 storey  10 Centre St., Elmira, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    • Constructed by John Ratz in the 1870's
    House  Abt 1880 buff brick 2 storey  18 Centre St., Elmira, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    • Former home of William Behrens who was a salesman at the business Weber and Erb. The wrap around porch has been removed.
    Library  1915 *Elmira Public Library  Elmira Public Library, Elmira, Waterloo, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Store  1860-2008 *store brick demolished  9 Arthur St. N., Elmira, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Elmira,ArthurSt.N0009-fromMarionRoes2011.JPG
    Elmira,ArthurSt.N0009-fromMarionRoes2011.JPG
    from Marion Roes 2011
    Elmira,ArthurSt.N0009-beingdemolishedfromMarionRoes2011.JPG
    Elmira,ArthurSt.N0009-beingdemolishedfromMarionRoes2011.JPG
    Being demolished 2009 from Marion Roes
    Store  1860-2008 store - brick delmolished  7 Arthur Street N., Elmira, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Elmira,ArthurSt.N007-Dreisingervehiclesatcornerbefore1921fromMarionRoes.JPG
    Elmira,ArthurSt.N007-Dreisingervehiclesatcornerbefore1921fromMarionRoes.JPG
    Before 1921 submitted by Marion Roes
    Died  Yes, date unknown 
    Person ID  I157  Properties
    Last Modified  15 Sep 2011 

  • Event Map
    Event
    Link to Google MapsAddress - - 25 Erb St., Elmira, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsService Station - 1000 - 54 Arthur St. S., Elmira, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsBuilding - brick buildings - demolished 2004 - Bef 2004 - 19 Church St. E., Elmira, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsBusiness - - Great West Felt Company - factory 3 storey brick - 20 Arthur St. N., Elmira, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsChurch - 1868 *Gale Presbyterian Church - 2 Cross St., Elmira, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsFactory - factory brick 3 storey - 20 Arthur St. N., Elmira, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsHotel - Gone - 1860s - 2 story brick gone - 52 Arthur St. S., Elmira, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsHouse - 1860 *house frame - 77 Arthur St. S., Elmira, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsHouse - 1856 house brick 1 1/2 storey - 31 Church St. E., Elmira, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsHouse - 1907 *brick built by Charles Wilken - 19 Wyatt St. E., Elmira, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsHouse - 1907 *brick built by Charles Wilken - 17 Wyatt St. E., Elmira, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsHouse - 1891 *Dunke House 2 storey brick - 2 William St., Elmira, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsHouse - Bef 1861 *log constructed by Jacob Esch - 103 Arthur St. S., Elmira, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsHouse - 1870's brick 1 1/2 storey - 10 Centre St., Elmira, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsHouse - Abt 1880 buff brick 2 storey - 18 Centre St., Elmira, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsLibrary - 1915 *Elmira Public Library - Elmira Public Library, Elmira, Waterloo, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsStore - 1860-2008 *store brick demolished - 9 Arthur St. N., Elmira, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsStore - 1860-2008 store - brick delmolished - 7 Arthur Street N., Elmira, Ontario Link to Google Earth
     = Link to Google Maps 
     = Link to Google Earth