||172 King St. S., Waterloo, Ontario 
|Erb Kumpf House |
- The original portion of the Erb-Kumpf House was built around 1812 by Abraham Erb, the founder of Waterloo, making it one of Waterloo's oldest homes. It was a three-bay structure facing a mill situated near the south-west corner of King and Erb Streets.
Abraham Erb came from Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, in 1806 and settled on Lots 14 and 15 of the German Company Tract, land which now comprises the central business district of Waterloo. He established a sawmill on Beaver (Laurel) Creek in 1808 and a grist mill in 1816. In 1828, he sold his mills and a considerable quantity of land to Jacob C. Snider.
Magdalene Erb sold the home to Barnabas Devitt, her adopted son, in 1835. His son Benjamin served as Mayor of Waterloo from 1881 to 1883.
An addition to the house was probably built by Devitt in 1849. A slight hump in the roof on the north side indicates the location at which it joins the original structure. The application of a vertical board and clapboard which does not align is further evidence that it was added at a later date. The second addition, probably built by Hoffman around 1855, included the two-storey verandah at the front.
Elias Snider acquired the home and later sold it to Christian Kumpf in 1869. Kumpf was a newspaper owner, Mayor of Waterloo from 1879-1880, as well as Postmaster for 42 years. He was instrumental in the establishment of the Dominion Life Assurance Company in 1889. His son Ford, who became affectionately known as "Mr. Waterloo", was born in the home in 1877 and assumed ownership in 1899. One of the community's most public-spirited citizens, he served as Treasurer of Waterloo and Clerk/Manager of the Water and Light Commission. He was President of the Waterloo Red Cross Society and The Dominion Life Assurance Company.
At present, the house demonstrates a mixture of architectural styles. Among its Georgian characteristics is the six-over-six window pane arrangement. The facade, with its two wings, treillage, Gothic barge board and Doric columns, reflects the Regency influence.
In 1979, the home was sold to a law firm which has maintained the integrity of the exterior. A third addition in keeping with the style of the building has since been constructed.1a
1aDesignated Properties www. waterloo.ca
||7 Aug 1845
||Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario [3, 4]
||Waterloo City, Waterloo Region, Ontario 
|New Jerusalem |
|Eby ID Number
||Yes, date unknown
||15 Mar 2017 |
||Mayor John Hoffman, b. 17 Jan 1808, Lancaster Co., Pennsylvania , d. 1 Feb 1878, Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario |
||Caroline Sauers, b. 1810, , Lancaster Co., Pennsylvania , d. 26 Sep 1857, Waterloo City, Waterloo Region, Ontario |
- Allan Hoffman, "is married to Minnie Taylor and resides at Bel Air, Maryland, U.S."1a
1aThe Biographical History of Waterloo Township, Ezra Eby
- [S3] Book - Vol I A Biographical History of Waterloo Township and other townships of the county : being a history of the early settlers and their descendants, mostly all of Pennsylvania Dutch origin..., 802.
- [S873] Wateloo City - designated properties list, ), Bean-Wright House..
- [S131] Census - ON, Waterloo, Waterloo Twp. - 1851, Div 4 Pg 12.
Listed as female and name spelled as Ellen in 1852 Census
- [S1885] Census - ON, Waterloo, Waterloo City - 1861, Waterloo 1861 Dist. 2 Page 15.