Waterloo Region Generations
A record of the people of Waterloo Region, Ontario.
Search

Bishop Joseph B. Hagey[1, 2, 3]
Male 1810 - 1876


HomeHome    SearchSearch    PrintPrint    Add BookmarkAdd Bookmark

Personal Information    |    Notes    |    Sources    |    Event Map    |    All    |    PDF

  • Prefix  Bishop 
    Birth  11 Jun 1810  Franconia Township, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania Find all individuals with events at this location  [1, 4, 5
    Gender  Male 
    Land  4425 Fountain St. N., Cambridge, Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Land  1861  4685 Fountain St., Cambridge, Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Land  1861  4650 Fountain St. N., Cambridge, Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Land  1861  4600 Fountain St. N., Cambridge, Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Occupation  1871  Waterloo Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location  [4
    Farmer 
    Religion  1871  Waterloo Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location  [4
    Mennonite 
    Died  31 Dec 1876  , Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location  [1, 5
    Website  2007 
    Website  2007 
    wikipedia 
    Name  Joseph Haegy 
    Occupation  Cressman Mennonite Church, Breslau, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    minister 
    Eby ID Number  00047-3465 
    Buried  Breslau Mennonite (Cressman's) Cemetery, Breslau, Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Person ID  I2715  Generations
    Last Modified  24 Oct 2017 

    Father  Daniel Hagey,   b. 12 Jul 1784, Franconia Township, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 14 Nov 1859, Near Preston (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Mother  Elizabeth Bergey,   b. 26 Feb 1784, , Montgomery Co., Pennsylvania Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 16 Sep 1854, Near Preston (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Married  1806 
    Family ID  F852  Group Sheet

    Family  Sophia Bricker,   b. 20 Dec 1812, Waterloo Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown 
    Married  1832  [3, 6
    Children 
     1. Peter B. Hagey,   b. 12 Jun 1833, Waterloo Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 5 May 1900
     2. Elizabeth Hagey,   b. 1835, , Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown
     3. Elizabeth B. Hagey,   b. 10 Mar 1836, Waterloo Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown
     4. Rev. Daniel B. Hagey,   b. 6 Jan 1837, Waterloo Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 21 Mar 1908
     5. Hagey,   b. 13 Jan 1838, Waterloo Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown
     6. Maria Lea Hagey,   b. 7 Nov 1838, Waterloo Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown
     7. Hagey,   b. Dec 1839, Waterloo Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown
     8. Rebecca Hagey,   b. 18 Feb 1842, Waterloo Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 15 Oct 1926, Preston (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location
     9. Samuel Hagey,   b. 25 Mar 1844, Waterloo Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 10 Nov 1867, Waterloo Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location
     10. Mary Hagey,   b. 7 Jul 1846, Waterloo Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 31 Mar 1922, Preston (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location
     11. Joseph Hagey,   b. 1847, , Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown
     12. Joseph B. Hagey,   b. 4 Oct 1848, Waterloo Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 1 Oct 1924
     13. Jacob B. Hagey,   b. 25 Jan 1851, Waterloo Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown
     14. Sophia Hagey,   b. 2 Jan 1854, Waterloo Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 7 Apr 1919, Riverbank, , Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location
     15. Henry B. Hagey,   b. 18 Nov 1855, Waterloo Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 1941
    Family ID  F867  Group Sheet

  • Notes 
    • Bishop Joseph Hagey, " the second son of Daniel and Elizabeth (Bergey) Hagey, was born in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, June 11th, 1810, and came to Canada with his parents when twelve years of age. Some time during the summer of 1832 he was married to Sophia, daughter of Samuel and Rebecca (Eby) Bricker. She was born December 20th, 1812. Soon after their marriage they moved on the farm now possessed by their son, Joseph B., where they resided until his death which took place December 31st, 1876. On May 31st, 1851, he was ordained as a minister of the Mennonite body, and on October 11th, 1852, he was ordained bishop which position he held until his death. He was well received by both his and other denominations. His fame as a preacher was widely known and served to fill the houses of worship to their utmost capacity wherever he was known to officiate. His sermons were short and always well seasoned with a grand exhortation to be more like our Lord and Master. He was greatly respected by the young and always gladly received by his many friends. His last days on earth were much clouded with the church controversy which was carried so far as to cause a division among the Mennonites. Just at this time came the winged arrow of death and bore the soul of Bishop Hagey from the scenes of his life's activity, from the companionship of his faithful circle of followers, and from the worrying of this world, to the regions beyond the skies where trials and temptations are no more, where Christ reigns supreme, in Heaven. His last words were, 'O what a good and merciful Lord we have'. His end was peace. His widow is still living and has her home with her daughter, Mary. Their family consists of eleven children"1a

      1aThe Biographical History of Waterloo Township, Ezra Eby

      ________________________________

      Hagey, Joseph B. (1810-1876)

      "Joseph B. Hagey: bishop and farmer; born 11 June 1810 in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania to Daniel and Elizabeth (Bergey) Hagey. He and his twin brother, Daniel, had an older brother, and a younger brother and sister. In 1832 he married Sophia Bricker (20 December 1810-4 November 1895). She was the daughter of Sam Bricker, famous for his role in raising funds in Pennsylvania to buy the German Company Tract (much of Waterloo Township) from Richard Beasley. Joseph and Sophia Hagey had six sons and five daughters. Joseph died 31 December 1876 and was buried in the Breslau Mennonite Cemetery. It was said that three hundred carriages were part of the funeral procession, with one thousand persons in attendance at the service.

      In 1822 Joseph Hagey came with his family from Pennsylvania after his father went bankrupt in business there. They lived on a farm just north of Cambridge (Preston). After their marriage, Joseph and Sophia lived on the farm owned by her father; they became the owners in 1837.
      On 10 February 1839 Joseph Hagey was ordained as a minister, probably by Benjamin Eby , and on 31 May 1851 he was ordained as a bishop to assist the aging Eby. He served in the Hagey congregation as a pastor, but as a bishop carried responsibility for all the congregations in Waterloo Township. His years of service followed those of a very charismatic bishop, and Hagey never received the acclaim of his predecessor. In his later years he was faced with division within the Ontario Mennonite Conference. The division was sparked by a revival in Solomon Eby's congregation in Port Elgin, Ontario in 1870, and a similar revival within Waterloo County. These Methodist-style prayer/revival meetings were often held in homes, and were not yet generally accepted within the Mennonite community. Initially Hagey responded positively and baptized converts from the Port Elgin revival. However he then declined to baptize the Waterloo converts because of objections that arose within the conference leadership. Although another bishop finally baptized this group in 1871, the controversy festered and finally resulted in the division that created the Reformed Mennonites (later part of the Mennonite Brethren in Christ ).
      Although Hagey was not successful in maintaining peace in the Ontario Mennonite community, he was a peacemaker in spirit. He assisted several attempts to help settle a church conflict in Indiana as a participant and served as the nominal leader (as bishop) of an Ontario delegation that attempted to mediate the conflict. Joseph B. Hagey was a longtime leader in the largest Mennonite settlement in Ontario during troubled times; his failure to preserve unity does not diminish the magnitude of his service to the church."2a

      2a
      Steiner, Sam. "Hagey, Joseph B. (1810-1876)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. January 2002. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 13 Nov 2005 <http://www.gameo.org/encyclopedia/contents/H34.html>

      _____________________________________

      Breslau (Cressman) Mennonite Church

      Services were begun in Breslau in 1815. In 1834, Benjamin Eby's log meeting house, which had been built in Berlin in 1813, was moved to Breslau to the Cressman farm. Preaching services which were held every four weeks began in the reconstructed meeting house in 1837. A new brick church was built in 1856, at which time the old log meeting house was moved to Frederick Schaefer's brickyard. The old building may have been used for storage or an office until approximately 1880 when it was clad with white "Breslau Brick" from the brickyard, and used as a home by Frederick Schaefer and his family. The address of the house is reported to have been 18 Woolwich Street; it was still standing in 1985, according to Alder 1985, with the original log walls possibly preserved within the brick ones.
      A summer Sunday School was begun in June of 1872. It was held in the Breslau schoolhouse until 1877 when it was moved to the church. Sunday School continued on in the summers only until 1889 when Sunday School classes began to be held all year.
      The 1856 white brick church was taken down in March 1908, and was replaced with a new white brick church. In 1968 the name of the church was changed from Cressman Mennonite Church to Breslau Mennonite Church. Major renovations were made to the church in the same year. It is of interest to know that land amounting to approximately three acres was deeded to the congregation by Christian C. Snyder in three parcels, in 1837, 1859, and 1870.
      Joseph Hagey, the first minister at Cressman's, was ordained on February 10, 1839. He was ordained bishop in 1851. Ministers who followed him in serving the church at Breslau were Jacob Woolner Sr., Elias Weber, Isaac A. Wambold, Jacob S. Woolner, and Oscar Burkholder. Services were held every four weeks from 1837-1867, and bi-weekly from 1867-1894 when weekly services were begun3a

      3aWaterloo County Churches A Research Guide To Churches Established Before 1900 By Rosemary Ambrose

      __________________________________________

      Wanner Mennonite Church
      Begun: 1829

      A small wooden meeting house was built in 1829 on a corner of the farm belonging to Samuel Bechtel which was located in the vicinity of the present-day regional headquarters of the Ministry of Natural Resources near the intersection of Highways 24 and 401. The site for this community meeting house, as well as a school and a burial ground, had been chosen on August 8, 1829. The land was donated by Samuel Bechtel and his wife Barbara (Baumann) on March 15, 1830. A new meeting house, of white brick, was built in 1837 on the east side of Henry Wanner's farm, somewhat north of the first meeting house. Meetings at first were held every eight weeks. The deed of land for the meeting house known as Wanner's was dated October 15, 1837. Early preachers were David Sherk, who had been ordained by Benjamin Eby in July 1837, Jacob Bretz, Jr., and Joseph Hagey.
      Joseph Hagey was ordained bishop in 1851. During his time divisions occurred in the church by a surge of enthusiasm for a Methodist form of revivalism. Solomon Eby of Port Elgin, who announced his own conversion in December 1869, was leader of a group which believed that members could be converted through participation in revival meetings. John Baer of Wanner's became associated with Solomon Eby, and was compelled to leave the church in the spring of 1874, as were Eby and his other followers. The new church movement resulted in organization conferences which culminated in the conference on March 23, 1875 at Bloomingdale where New Mennonites and Reforming (or Reformed) Mennonites joined together as United Mennonites. The United Mennonites favored revival meetings, Sunday Schools and prayer meetings, and were opposed to the use of alcohol and tobacco.
      The date of construction of the meeting house which replaced the one built in 1837 is somewhat in doubt. It is possible that a new building was erected in the early 1870s; it is also possible that the 1837 building only underwent extensive renovations at that time. There is no doubt, however, that a new brown brick church was built in 1938. An education wing was added in 1969.
      The earliest Mennonite Sunday School in North America was begun in 1842 and was held jointly by the Wanner and Hagey Meeting Houses. It was discontinued after a short time because of a division of opinion within the congregations. An attempt was made later, in the mid-1860s, to begin another Sunday School, but this, too, did not last long. Many years later, on June 10, 1896, a meeting was held to organize a Sunday School. Anson Groh was appointed superintendent..4a

      4aWaterloo County Churches A Research Guide To Churches Established Before 1900 By Rosemary Ambrose

      __________________________________________


      Preston (Bechtel or Hagey) Mennonite Church

      The second meeting house in Waterloo County was built, probably in 1814, by John Erb, a wealthy miller of Preston. This brick meeting house served as a community church and was located "near Jacob Hagey's", which was on the road running from the top of the Kress Hill west and "adjoining the Kitchener Highway" (Witmer 1967:26). Another meeting house, known as the Union Meeting House, was built in the area around 1824. A meeting was held in the Union church on November 20, 1824 to commence recording the accounts of the congregation in Hagey's Deacon Book. The deed of land for the Union Meeting House and burial ground, which was for one acre of part Lot 22, Beasley's Broken Front, was transacted in 1835.
      Hagey Meeting House was buiilt of red brick in 1842 on part Lot 23, just north of Preston on the west side of the Breslau Road, and slightly north of the Union Meeting House site. The deed, dated February 2, 1842, recorded the purchase of the land from John Hilborn and stressed that the property was to be for "the purpose of public worship by the Mennonist Society" (Witmer 1967:28). Joseph Bechtel was the first minister in the area, from 1804-1837; he was followed by David Sherk (1838-1843). Next came Joseph Hagey (1844-1877), who was ordained bishop in 1851, and then Jacob B. Gingrich from 1878 to 1901. Services were held every four weeks until 1890 when bi-weekly services were begun. A Sunday School was established in 1842 with the congregation of Wanner Meeting House near Hespeler, but it was discontinued because of a difference of opinion regarding the need for Sunday Schools. On April 26, 1891 a Sunday School was organized at Hagey's, with deacon Abraham Oberholtzer as superintendent. Five years later, on June 10, 1896, a Sunday School was organized at the Wanner church.
      Major changes were made to the church building in 1927-1928 when the basement was excavated, new windows were installed and the roof was raised two feet. Fire on January 15, 1950 caused extensive damage to the interior and furnishings of the church. The building was completely renovated and also enlarged at the same time; dedication was on July 2, 1950. Another fire, on Feburary 19, 1953, completely destroyed the church. A congregational decision was made to build a new church, on Concession Road in Preston, and the cornerstone was laid on Thanksgiving Day, October 12, 1953. Official dedication services in the new Preston Mennonite Church were held on May 16, 1954. The building was enlarged in the summer of 1989.5a

      5aWaterloo County Churches A Research Guide To Churches Established Before 1900 By Rosemary Ambrose

      __________________________________________


      LARGE FUNERAL AT BRESLAU - On Tuesday of last week the funeral of the late Joseph Hagey, Bishop of the Mennonite Church at Breslau, took place, and was the largest ever held in that section, over three hundred teams being in the procession, and over one thousand people present, thereby testifying to the great respect entertained by all for the deceased. Mr. Hagey at the time of his death, must have been nearly eighty years old (ed. note actually 66), and for many years was recognized as the head of that body in Western Ontario. He was always distinguished for his Christian virtues, and was held in high esteem by the members of his own church and by all who knew him.6a

      6aThe Galt Reformer 3 Jan 1877

  • Sources 
    1. [S3] Book - Vol I A Biographical History of Waterloo Township and other townships of the county : being a history of the early settlers and their descendants, mostly all of Pennsylvania Dutch origin..., 743.

    2. [S3] Book - Vol I A Biographical History of Waterloo Township and other townships of the county : being a history of the early settlers and their descendants, mostly all of Pennsylvania Dutch origin..., 657.

    3. [S3] Book - Vol I A Biographical History of Waterloo Township and other townships of the county : being a history of the early settlers and their descendants, mostly all of Pennsylvania Dutch origin..., 331.

    4. [S604] Census - ON, Waterloo, Waterloo South - 1871, Civ. 1, Pg. 65.

    5. [S2573] Waterloo Township South 1891, Sect. 2 Page 2.

    6. [S3] Book - Vol I A Biographical History of Waterloo Township and other townships of the county : being a history of the early settlers and their descendants, mostly all of Pennsylvania Dutch origin..., 744.

  • Event Map
    Event
    Link to Google MapsLand - - 4425 Fountain St. N., Cambridge, Waterloo Region, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsLand - 1861 - 4685 Fountain St., Cambridge, Waterloo Region, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsLand - 1861 - 4650 Fountain St. N., Cambridge, Waterloo Region, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsLand - 1861 - 4600 Fountain St. N., Cambridge, Waterloo Region, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsOccupation - Farmer - 1871 - Waterloo Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsReligion - Mennonite - 1871 - Waterloo Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsDied - 31 Dec 1876 - , Waterloo Region, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsOccupation - minister - - Cressman Mennonite Church, Breslau, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsBuried - - Breslau Mennonite (Cressman's) Cemetery, Breslau, Waterloo Region, Ontario Link to Google Earth
     = Link to Google Maps 
     = Link to Google Earth