Waterloo Region Generations
A record of the people of Waterloo Region, Ontario.
Search
Roos St. 0035 (Church, brick)   <font size="2" color="blue">See Doon Presbyterian Church </font> Kitchener 

Roos St. 0035 (Church, brick) See Doon Presbyterian Church Kitchener

1854 - 2011

HomeHome    SearchSearch    PrintPrint    Add BookmarkAdd Bookmark

Personal Information    |    Media    |    Notes    |    Event Map    |    All    |    PDF

  • Nickname 
    Birth  constructed 1854  Doon Presbyterian Church, Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender  Unknown 
    Alt Address  Doon Presbyterian Church, Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Church  1854  35 Roos St., Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    construction 
    Former Geographic Area  Doon 
    Name  Doon Presbyterian Church Kitchener 
    Died  still standing 2011 
    Person ID  I312  Buildings and Organizations
    Last Modified  3 Jul 2012 

  • Photos
    35 Roos St., Kitchener, Ontario - formerly Doon
    35 Roos St., Kitchener, Ontario - formerly Doon
    Doon Presbyterian Church
    Darryl Bonk 2012

  • Notes 
    • Doon Presbyterian Church

      Begun: 1853

      The Minutes of the 1852 Annual Meeting of the Presbyterian Church of Canada refer to a joint charge of the congregations of Woolwich and Doon Mills in the Presbytery of Hamilton. In 1853 and 1854 Doon Mills was a charge with New Aberdeen. Formal organization of the Doon congregation was on July 9, 1853 by  Rev. Dr. John Bayne  of Knox's Presbyterian Church in Galt, who had held the first church service in Doon just two days before. The present church was built in 1854 on land donated by  Mr. Robert Ferrie.  Dedication services were held on December 31, 1854, with Rev. Bayne conducting the morning service and Rev. Duncan McRuer of Knox Presbyterian Church, Ayr preaching in the afternoon.

      The congregation was placed on a two-point charge with New Hope (Hespeler) on October 25, 1855 with Rev. Thomas Isaac Hodgskin as missionary. A first communion service was held on February 25, 1856. Later that year (October 16, 1856), Rev. Hodgskin was inducted as minister; he later resigned from the Presbyterian Church. (The Minutes of the 1863 Annual Meeting of the Canada Presbyterian Church recorded that effective June 24, 1862 Rev. Hodgskin was considered no longer to be a minister or member of the Church.)  Rev. Malcolm McKenzie  arrived in the Fall of 1861 and was ordained and inducted to the service of both churches on February 12, 1862. Rev. George Haigh became Minister to Doon, Preston and Hespeler on April 24, 1876. On March 20, 1883 Doon and Hespeler were made into a pastoral charge under Rev. Haigh and were separated from Preston, which became a Mission Station.

      The congregation later, in 1893, became a second charge to Preston, when Hespeler called its first full-time minister. In the same year, Rev. Herbert Francis Thomas became minister to the two-point charge of Doon and Preston. However, it was not until 1972 that Doon became independent. An ordained minister was appointed in 1976 and a manse was purchased in 1977. A new addition was constructed in 1980 and dedicated on November 9, 1980. The congregation of Doon Presbyterian Church became self-supporting as of July 1, 1982. Ten years later, another addition was completed, and officially opened and dedicated on Sunday, September 27, 1992.

      Records:
      Baptism dates: 1862-1944 Location of records: *
      Marriage dates: 1925- Location of records: at church
      Burial dates: 1925- Location of records: at church

      *The Baptism records for 1862-1944 are available on The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints microfilm 0204132. The location of early Marriage and Burial records is unknown, but Waterloo County Marriages 1858-1869 has information on Marriages 1858, and 1862-1869. A transcription of the Communicants' list 1855-1858, taken from the Doon & Blair Women's Institute Tweedsmuir History (1970), is at the Kitchener Public Library. Dates on church: 1875-1975-2075.

      [ADDRESS/LOCATION: 35 Roos St., Kitchener, ON N2P 2B9 - overlooking the Grand River, in the Doon section of Kitchener; 748-4540]
      References: Bean, WHS 1941(29):171; Cleghorn, WHS 1953(41):15-18; Doon & Blair W.I.; Knox Preston 1991:7; Moyer, 1979:23; Plumtree, WHS 1982(70):148-149; Presbyterian Church; R. Taylor 1986.1a

      1aAmbrose, Rosemary. Waterloo County Churches A Research Guide to Churches Established Before 1900. Kitchener, Ontario, Canada: Waterloo-Wellington Branch, Ontario Genealogical Society, 1993. [used the kind permission of Rosemary Ambrose 2011]

  • Event Map
    Event
    Link to Google MapsBirth - constructed 1854 - Doon Presbyterian Church, Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsAlt Address - - Doon Presbyterian Church, Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsChurch - construction - 1854 - 35 Roos St., Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario Link to Google Earth
     = Link to Google Maps 
     = Link to Google Earth