Waterloo Region Generations
A record of the people of Waterloo Region, Ontario.
Search
Very Rev. Dean. Michael Boomer 

Very Rev. Dean. Michael Boomer

Male 1810 - 1888

HomeHome    SearchSearch    PrintPrint    Add BookmarkAdd Bookmark

Personal Information    |    Media    |    Notes    |    Sources    |    Event Map    |    All    |    PDF

  • Prefix  Very Rev. Dean. 
    Birth  1 Jul 1810  Ireland Find all individuals with events at this location  [1, 2, 3
    Gender  Male 
    Occupation  1840  Trinity Anglican Church, Cambridge, Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    minister 
    Occupation  1851  Galt (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location  [3
    Clergyman 
    Religion  1851  Galt (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location  [3
    Episcopalian 
    Residence  Bef 1851  69 Blair Rd., Cambridge, Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Occupation  1871  Galt (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location  [2
    Rector, Trinity Church 
    Religion  1871  Galt (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location  [2
    Church of England 
    Historic Building  1873  14 Blair Road, Cambridge, Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location  [4
    Trinity Church Rectory 
    • two story brick house, used as Trinity Anglican Church Rectory.
    Residence  26 - 28 Blenheim Rd., Cambridge, Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Eby ID Number  Waterloo-33279 
    Died  4 Mar 1888  London, Middlesex, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location  [1
    Person ID  I33279  Generations
    Last Modified  10 Jul 2017 

    Father  George Boomer,   b. 1780, Of, Hill Hall Near Lisburn, Down, Ireland Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 30 Sep 1844 
    Mother  Mary Knox,   b. Abt 1780, Of, Hill Hall Near Lisburn, Down, Ireland Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown 
    Family ID  F8695  Group Sheet

    Family 1  Helen Adams,   b. 1817, of, Galt (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 30 May 1848 
    Children 
     1. Mary Boomer,   b. 1841, , Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown
     2. Helen Boomer,   b. 1844, Galt (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown
     3. George Edward Boomer,   b. 1844, , Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 26 Oct 1881, Shanghai, , Shanghai, China Find all individuals with events at this location
     4. Edward Boomer,   b. 1848, Galt (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 23 Aug 1849
    Family ID  F8688  Group Sheet

    Family 2  Harriet Ann Mills,   d. Yes, date unknown 
    Family ID  F8693  Group Sheet

    Family 3  Isabella Jemima Davidson,   b. 1808, , Scotland Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 19 Aug 1876, London, Middlesex, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Family ID  F8687  Group Sheet

  • Photos
    Rev. Michael Boomer
    Rev. Michael Boomer

  • Notes 
    • Trinity Anglican Church

      An Anglican missionary, Rev. Michael Boomer, arrived in Galt in 1840 to organize the community's first Anglican congregation. Services were held in the Township Hall until the fall of 1844 when a new stone church was completed. The building was opened and consecrated in October, 1844 by Dr. Strachan, Bishop of the Diocese of Toronto. Land for the church had been donated by the Dickson family and the cost of the building was assumed largely by the Dicksons and by Absalom Shade. The first Rector of Trinity Church, Rev. Michael Boomer, was to minister to the Galt congregation until moving to London in 1872 when he became Principal of Huron College and Dean of the Huron diocese. Dean Boomer was followed by Reverend Canons Brock (1872-1873), Curran (1873-1877), Hinks (1877-1886) and Rev. Canon Ridley who was rector from 1886 until his sudden death in November 1915.
      The first Parish Hall was built in 1855 through the generosity of Mr. Shade. When Mr. Shade died in 1862 his Will provided funds for the construction of a Rectory along with an endowment fund to provide for the rector's salary. The church was enlarged in 1856, and in 1868 the Parish Hall was made larger. The interior of the church was altered in 1885-1886 and the Norman Tower was added during the same time frame through the generosity of Matthew Wilks. Work began on rebuilding the Parish Hall with the laying of the cornerstone on July 17, 1911. Electric lighting was installed in 1916. The Parish Hall was further enlarged in 1956; the new Chapel of the Holy Trinity was built about the same time.
      Canon Ridley established a Mission in Preston in 1888. Construction of St. John's Anglican Church in that community was begun in 1889 with dedication services held in 1890. St. James Anglican Church in Hespeler also began as a Mission of Galt. Work began in 1919 on St. David's Mission at the corner of Pollock and Chalmers Street in Galt. The Mission, which began as a Sunday School, was dedicated by Archbishop Williams in April 1920.1a

      1aWaterloo County Churches A Research Guide To Churches Established Before 1900 By Rosemary Ambrose

      ____________________

      St. John the Evangelist Anglican Church

      Early Anglican services were held in the Berlin area in the 1840s by the Rev. Michael Boomer of the Galt Mission. In 1856 William Jaffray moved from Galt to Berlin and established an English-language newspaper, the Berlin Chronicle. An Anglican, who had attended Trinity Church in Galt, Mr. Jaffray led in the formation of a congregation in Berlin, where he acted as Lay Reader. Two other gentlemen influential in establishing the Anglican presence in Berlin were Henry Joseph Fletcher Jackson and Dr. David S. Bowlby. Land was purchased on April 5, 1861 on the southeast corner of Water St. N. and Short (now Duke) Streets, and the first church, of red brick with white brick trim, was built in 1861.
      The church was demolished in April 1894 to make room for the present church which was built on the same site and dedicated on October 7, 1894. A Parish Hall was built in 1927 and the church was enlarged in 1955. Early rectors who followed the missionary, Thomas S. Campbell, were the first rector Rev. E.R. Stimson (1859-1864), Rev. Dr. John Schulte (1864-1867), Rev. Henry Jessop (1868) and Rev. Alexander Sydney Falls (1869-1876).2a

      2aWaterloo County Churches A Research Guide To Churches Established Before 1900 By Rosemary Ambrose

      __________________________________

      St. John's Anglican Church

      The first church services were held by Rev. Michael Boomer as a mission of Trinity Anglican Church, Galt. These early services were held in various locations: in homes, in the Royal Templars' Hall in the Erb Block, in the Lyceum Hall, and in the frame Lutheran church on King Street. A Sunday School which met in the CNR station house on Guelph Street was begun in 1880 by Mr. Robert Jell.
      Rev. Canon Ridley of Trinity in Galt organized a congregation in 1888. A church building was constructed in 1889 at the corner of Queen (now Queenston Road) and Argyle Streets and was dedicated in 1890 by Bishop Baldwin of the Diocese of Huron. The first baptism is reported to have taken place on May 17, 1890. Hespeler was attached to Preston until January 1, 1890 when the former became a separate parish.
      An extension to the church, which included the first Parish Hall, was built in 1908; a new Parish Hall was constructed in 1925; and in 1927 the church was declared free of debt and was consecrated by Archbishop Williams. The church was once more enlarged, and rededicated, in 1953.3a

      3aWaterloo County Churches A Research Guide To Churches Established Before 1900 By Rosemary Ambrose

  • Sources 
    1. [S528] Book - Ontarian Families Genealogies of United Empire Loyalists and other Pioneer Families of Upper Canada, Vol 1 Pg 87.

    2. [S570] Census - ON, Waterloo, Galt - 1871, Div. 3, Pg. 33.

    3. [S313] Census - ON, Waterloo, Galt - 1851, Pg.25.

    4. [S1034] Book - City of Cambridge Local, Architectural Conversevation Advisory Committee Local Building Inventory, Report on 14 Blair Road, Cambridge, Ontario.
      two story brick house, Trinity Anglican Church Rectory, porch replaced in 1922.

  • Event Map
    Event
    Link to Google MapsBirth - 1 Jul 1810 - Ireland Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsOccupation - minister - 1840 - Trinity Anglican Church, Cambridge, Waterloo Region, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsOccupation - Clergyman - 1851 - Galt (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsReligion - Episcopalian - 1851 - Galt (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsResidence - Bef 1851 - 69 Blair Rd., Cambridge, Waterloo Region, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsOccupation - Rector, Trinity Church - 1871 - Galt (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsReligion - Church of England - 1871 - Galt (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsHistoric Building - Trinity Church Rectory - 1873 - 14 Blair Road, Cambridge, Waterloo Region, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsResidence - - 26 - 28 Blenheim Rd., Cambridge, Waterloo Region, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsDied - 4 Mar 1888 - London, Middlesex, Ontario Link to Google Earth
     = Link to Google Maps 
     = Link to Google Earth