|| 1895 - 1992|
||30 Jul 1895
||Elmira, Waterloo Region, Ontario [1, 2, 3]
||Margaret Erb |
||Marguerite Carmella Schreiter |
|Eby ID Number
||4 Jul 1992 
||Mount Hope Cemetery, Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario 
||14 Mar 2017 |
||Ephraim Bricker Erb, b. 26 Mar 1867, Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario , d. 1931 |
||Emily Harrison Lee, b. 10 Aug 1871, , England , d. 1967 |
||25 Mar 1891
||Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario
||Armand Alvin Schreiter, b. 12 Jul 1891, Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario , d. 9 Dec 1932, Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario |
- Margaret Schreiter is one of the very few Canadian women who, as an army nurse, witnessed first-hand the horrors of World War I. It was an unforgettable experience she remembered vividly for the rest of her long life. It also set her apart as the remarkable woman whose courage, optimism and generosity became legendary to all who knew her.
Margaret Camilla Erb was born in Elmira, Ontario on July 30, 1895. Her mother, Emily Lilian Lee, had immigrated from London, England with three sisters and a brother. Her father, Ephraim Bricker Erb, was the son of Menno and grandson of Moses Erb, one of the first ministers at the First Mennonite Church.
In 1899, Margaret's father Ephraim Erb, who had operated a general store in Elmira, moved his family to Berlin, Ontario where he began work as a traveller, selling gloves for his father, Menno. Menno Erb had a glove manufacturing business at the Erb Tannery, as well as a retail operation selling mattresses and furniture. Margaret recalled occasional visits in her early years to the Erb tannery \emdash "immense and smelly but filled with many nice people."1a
1aWomen of Waterloo County, edited by Ruth Russell
- [S137] Census - ON, Waterloo, Berlin - 1901, Berlin (Town/Ville) A-8 Page 3.
- [S57] Vit - ON - Birth Registration.
Marguerite Carmela Erb Born: 30 Jul 1895 County: Waterloo Father: Ephraim B Erb Mother: Emily H Lee
- [S166] Cemetery - ON, Waterloo, Kitchener - Mount Hope CC#4508 Internet Link .
[Masonic insignia] In loving memory of/ Armand A. Schreiter/ July 12, 1891/ "passed to higher life"/ December 9, 1932/ His loving wife/ Margaret C. Erb/ July 30, 1895/ "joined him in higher life/ July 4, 1992
- [S350] News - ON, Waterloo, Kitchener - Kitchener Daily Record 1919-1947, A. Schreiter Died Suddenly - Dec 10, 1932.