||, Germany 
||Elisabeth Catharine Hett |
|Eby ID Number
||Dundas, Wentworth Co., Ontario
||Dundas, Wentworth Co., Ontario
||15 Mar 2017 |
||John Hett, b. 1813, , Darmstadt, Germany , d. 24 Aug 1883, Baltimore, Baltimore (City), Maryland, USA |
| ||1. Valentine Hett, b. 27 Apr 1837, Waterloo Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario , d. Yes, date unknown|
| ||2. Annie E. Hett, b. 12 Jun 1838, Baden, Waterloo Region, Ontario , d. 17 Jun 1922, Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario |
| ||3. Elizabeth Hett, b. May 1840, Waterloo Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario , d. 14 Jul 1915, Wilmot Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario |
| ||4. Henry Hett, b. 1842, Waterloo Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario , d. Yes, date unknown|
| ||5. George Hett, b. 1846, Waterloo Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario , d. Yes, date unknown|
- (1) 14 Apr 1887 General Affidavit by [daughter] Anna McQuune - death summer of 1855 at Dundas, Ontario Affiant further states that she was about fifteen years of age at the time of her mothers death and she remembers distinctly all the proceeding of the time of her death and a record was made of the date which her father kept until he went away to the United States and joined the Army service that time. The record of the exact date of her mothers death has been lost and she cannot say positive the date but she knows it was very warm weather and she thinks it was in June or July 1855...
(2) 25 Apr 1887 General Affidavit by John B Hett, age 57 (born 1830) residing in Berlin, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada "That he was well acquainted with John Hett for many years before he went as a soldier in the 27 Mich Regt in the ear, in the US and of his own personal knowledge he knows his first wife Elizabeth Hett died at Dundas in the summer of 1855 about the time of the great epidemic of cholera in that country and she was buried in one of the burying grounds near Dundas Ontario. Affiant futher states he went to Sundaso and got the children of John Hett who was left without a home when the mother died and that he got the old family Bible of said John Hett which had the record made in it of the exact date of the death of said wife Elizabeth but he is now unable to find said Bible to refresh his memory but he is quite certain the date was in July 1855 or it may have been 1854 but he knows positively that said wide Elizabeth died there at Dundas out about that time...
(3) 25 Apr 1887 General Affidavit by Casper Hett , age 54 of Berlin, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada "That he was well acquainted with John Hett and his family for many years. That he has personal knowledge of the fact that Elizabeth Hett, the first wife of said John Hett died at and was buried at Dundas, Ontario about June or July 1855 and that he had not remairred at the time he went to the US and joined the army about 1862. Affiant further states that after the death of said John Hett at Dundas his relative John B Hett went and got some of his children and brought them to Berlin to live and of them (Henry Hett by name) learned the trade of a printer of him but he, Henry Hett is now away in the US now and he does not know his address. also he heard that the aforesaid soldier (John Hett) has again married and was living in Baltimore Md US that he cannot now give any date positive more than is above given as to the time said Elizabeth Hett died but he knows that is about the date is not the exact date."
(4) 27 May 1887 - General Affidavit by Elizabeth Kriesel, age 41 of New Dundee, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada "That she is the daughter of the aboved mentioned John Hett and his first wife Elizabeth Hett, that she remembers distinctly her mother's death in 1855 while they lived in the town of Dundas Wentworth Co Ontario. That she was a young girl at home at the time and was present at the funeral and saw her mother buried in one of the burial grounds a little ways out of the Town of Dundas but the exact date she is unable to state. that a record was made which her father kept but a few years after he went away to the United States and joined the army and she thinks the record was then lost she saw her father when he made a visit to Ontario about 1870. he informed her that he had again married and that he then lived in Baltimore US when she has since learned he died."
Source: Katharina Hett widow's pension application no.309279, certificate no. 237287 and combined with John Hett (Private Company E, 27th Michigan Infantry, Civil War) pension file, 1870; Case Files of Approved Pension Applications, 1861'961934; Civil War and Later Pension Files, Record Group 15: Records of the Department of Veterans Affairs; National Archives, Washington, D.C
transcribed by Juliet Russell
- [S6] Church Records - ON, Waterloo - Bindeman, F. W. - Card Index Kitchener Public Library.
Valentin Hett son of John and Elis Catherine born 27 Apr 1837, bapt 9 Jly 1837 Berlin, sponsors: Valentin Guldner, John Hett, parents
- [S131] Census - ON, Waterloo, Waterloo Twp. - 1851, Div 3 pg 175.