|| constructed 1860's - 2009|
||52 Arthur St. S., Elmira, Ontario
||demolished Abt 2009
||Buildings and Organizations
||6 Dec 2011 |
- 52 Arthur St. South
Before crossing Arthur St., look to the left past the service station to the Steddick Hotel. This building, constructed in the 1860s, is one of the oldest brick buildings in Elmira. At one time called the Ontario House or Mogk's Hotel (Casper Mogk was the proprietor), the hotel was built at a time of rapid growth as the surrounding countryside was settled and Elmira became a centre of commerce. Early photographs show frame outbuildings, probably stables, extending across what is now Water St. [later named Wyatt St.]. The hotel has changed over the years, but one can still see clear evidence of the original Georgian style common at this period. Characteristics of Georgian architecture are the rectangular shape, symmetrically placed windows of uniform size, and central doorways. A close look at the south gable wall reveals the locations of the six original windows on the main storeys, topped by one smaller window in the attic. Notice also the S shaped hardware on this wall; these are the original beam anchors. An early photograph shows, at the front of the south wing, central doorways flanked by two windows each on both storeys. A small balcony projected from the second storey doorway and a broad platform extended nearly the length of this wing, serving as a porch. The front of the north wing had six symmetrically placed windows - three on each storey.1a
1aElmira Three Walking Tours, compiled by Susan Bryant and Bertha Thompson for the Township of Woolwich LACAC (Local Architectural Conservation Advisory Committee), December, 1985 - submitted by Marion Roes with permission of the authors 2011
The Steddick Hotel has been in business about eighty-five years. Mr. John Steddick was the proprietor for fifty-four of those years. After his death, his daughter, Pearl and son-in-law John Yanchus took over. The building was remodelled in 1948. After the Yanchus', Mr. Fredoruzo managed the hotel business until 1972. Mr. Edwin Trautrim is the present proprietor. He took over the hotel on May 1, 1972. One of the first landmarks in town, the building is over one hundred years old.2a
2aThe Elmira Old Boys and Girls Reunion 50th Anniversary 1973, pg. 68
Once a landmark and now an eyesore, the Steddick Hotel could disappear from the downtown Elmira streetscape in the next few weeks. Property owner Becker Milk Company has hired a contractor and applied for a permit to demolish the building. A long time coming \endash Woolwich Township has been pressing the owners to tear it down for years \endash the move is part of plans to redevelop the site to accommodate an expanded Mac's convenience store and rework the entire lot at the corner of Arthur and Wyatt streets. Admitting "it's a bit of a disaster, that building," company representative Pat Gudgeon said in an interview this week that recently completed work to the interior of the building, including the removal of asbestos, has paved the way for the demolition to proceed. As soon as the township issues a demolition permit, final preparations will get underway, with the building coming down sometime in the next three or four weeeks, he added.3a
3aObserverXtra 15 May 2009
Note that another building in Elmira had the name of "Steddick House" for a time: it was on the north west corner of Church Street West and Arthur Street North and eventually became the Royal Hotel.
The Steddick Hotel was empty for some years and demolished in June 2009.
|Birth - constructed 1860's - 52 Arthur St. S., Elmira, Ontario