- Where The Rivers Meet Picturesque Conestoga Pretty Woolwich Village
CONESTOGO CHURCHES SEE PROSPEROUS DEVELOPMENT
Lutherans Made Beginnings In 1850 And Have Finest Country Church In Ontario; Methodists Organized 1865 Erecting Church In 1878; M.B.C. Church Built 1888.
PETER SHUPE INSTRUCTED SINGERS
When the village was quite young and since a larger number of its residents had come from Germany where the church had long been established, the newcomers, about 1850, accomplished the organization of the Lutheran congregation, the oldest of the four church bodies represented in Conestogo. The first years were rather hard sailing but by perseverance it became established on a solid foundation.
Rev. Bindeman, then resident between Berlin and Waterloo, had the honor of organizing the congregation here and also became its first pastor, administering to its wants for several years. Rev. Werth of St. Jacobs, succeeded him in 1853 and in this year the congregation purchased land and built its first church wherein it had the privilege of worshiping for 39 years. In 1855, Rev Huschman, who was pastor for Waterloo and Petersburg congregations, was chosen pastor until 1857, when Rev. Werth again became pastor for several years. In 1860, Rev. Stahlschmidt of Heidelberg, assumed charge and during his 11 year pastorate he introduced the first constitution for the congregation.
From 1871 to 75 the congregation was administered by Rev. Salinger from Elmira. In 1876 the Waterloo and Conestogo Lutheran congregations became a parish with Rev. J. Schneider as pastor until 1881, when he resigned and went to Russia to labor in the cause of his church while Rev. J. Braun became his successor and labored in this charge until 1885. He was succeeded by Rev. Buettner until 1887, when connections with Waterloo as a parish were severed and a new parish formed with Bridgeport and Breslau congregations with Rev. Julius Badke as pastor until late in 1889. Rev. J. Goos accepted a call and served until 1896.
New Church Built During his term in 1892 the old church had become too small and the present fine building was erected and dedicated on Nov. 6th of the same year. Rev. Goos after 6 ½ years' pastorate resigned to accept a call from Brant Township. In the same year, 1896, Rev. H. Walbaum entered on his duties here. In 1897 the congregation bought two bells which were installed and which have since performed their duties to call the flock to the House of God. In 1900 Rev. Walbaum resigned and Rev. H. Rembe became the next pastor.
About this time the congregation in Breslau dropped out of the parish and shortly after their place was filled by Linwood. In 1901 the congregation bought the late David Stauffer property, in the early days the Wm. Hendry home, as a parsonage, for since the pastorate of Rev. Goos in 1889 the ministers were residing in this village. In 1904 after serving four years Rev. Rembe resigned to accept a call from St. Paul's church, Hamilton, and his successor Rev. O. Lincke of Egg Harbor, N.J. was called. His pastorate lasted seven years during which Linwood again dropped out of the parish. In 1911 when the Waterloo Lutheran Seminary was established he was chosen as its first dean and professor and as such took up his work in Waterloo's famous institution. In the beginning of the Ne Years 1912, Rev. H. P. Hansen commenced his labors as pastor and continued until 1916 when Rev. Geo. Weidenhammer, a graduate of Waterloo College under Prof. Lincke, was called to succeed Rev. Hansen. The fact that his home was in Alberta where there existed a great scarcity of young men to administer to the religious wants of the ever increasing settlers and as he was continually being pressed by his home synod he decided to follow their call and left here in 11918 to take charge of a parish in Laird, Sask. We have just recently read that during the past summer he had been appointed travelling missionary, in the interests of the English speaking Lutherans thruout the west. The next pastor, also a Waterloo graduate, Rev. R. Brenner served but two years when he resigned to enter the services of the Missouri Synod. Following the vacancy Rev. C. Zarnke entered upon his duties here in Sept, 1921. Very soon the pastorate of St. Jacobs and Conestogo was separated, the latter retaining the services of Rev. Zarnke who has labored here very successes fully since. In 1922 the interior of the church was remodelled and an addition built to it, so that it is now one of the finest country churches in the province.
Methodists Organize The second denomination to start work within the village were the Methodists who about 1865 commenced holding services in the frame school house near the Oswald corner. Besides various local men and Rev. Jacob Freshman who supplied for the mission, the following pastors, Rev. Ferguson, Mills, Williams, Coopman and Scott served in rotation from Kitchener to which place the congregation belonged until about 1877 when a separation took place and was joined to Elmira as a parish. In these years the Sunday school of this church was called into life when Dr. W. J. Passmore, one of the influential men of those days, organized it as a Band of Hope, in which he as ably assisted by Mrs. Geo. Wright and Miss Perine. Sunday school was held in Oswald's Hall for some time and later, when the congregation was in possession of its own place of worship it was removed there under its new name, the Methodist Sunday school. It was soon joined by the Presbyterians and Mennonites and the result was a union Sunday school for a number of years.
Among those members prominent as supporters to their cause in the early years were Mr. Geo Wright, Dr. Passmore, Mrs. M. B. Perine, Geo. McIntyre, Albert Heidlinger, Menno Snider, John B. Snyder, N. S. Bowman and I. E. Bowman.
Immediately after the formation of the Elmira-Conestogo parish the itinerant system was inaugurated and services were held every four weeks for several years.
Church Erected In 1878 the present church building on the eastern entrance to the village was erected at a cost of approximately $1600 and shortly after sheds were also built.
The formal opening of the church was in the hands of Bishop Wrightman of Guelph.
From the year 1878 the following ministers have served the congregation in rotation: Messrs. J. W. Cooley, Dean, McCullough, Berry, Snowden, J. Wass, R. Hall, J. W. Colling, W. C. Watson, W. Vollick, S. M. Roadhouse, R. W. Scanlon, C. W. Cousins, J. Kulp, P. Webster, J. W. Jewitt, and C. W. Cole the present incumbent, who has yet several years of his term to serve.
The leading members of the present congregation are: Messrs. W. S. Wright, Byron Schwartz, Geo. Schiubein, W. J. Snider, Milton Weber and Peter S. Musselman. The little brick church which is going well on to its 50th year is still serving the purpose and may likely answer for quite a number of years more.
Mennonite Church The organization of a third denomination was brought about when a number of the so-called Woolwich Mennonites excluded from their membership about a dozen families, composed of residents of this village and the surrounding territory.. These not content with the treatment received at the hands of their brethren went together and about 1877 organized what was commonly known as the New Mennonite congregation. This later became the Mennonite Brethren in Christ or M.B.C. church. They held meetings in private homes for a short time and later conducted their services in the new Methodist church erected in 1878, where service was held every other Sunday forenoon. During this time Rev. Frank Moyer, Rev. Moses Weber and Rev. Bolender administered to their religious wants with Reb. Sol Eby following about 1887. In 1888 the congregation built their own church, a commodious brick building which was dedicated in November of the same year. Since the days of it's organization the congregations of Breslau, Conestogo and Puslinch township formed a pastorate. (Continued on Page 2, Col. 3) The latter however dropped out in later years, when a M. B. C. church was opened in Hespeler. A 4-year pastoral term system was adopted by this denomination with many changes in ministers as a result. The 4-year term was later shortened to a 3-year term. Rev So. Eby remained pastor until about 1891 and since then the following pastors have been in charge of the congregation: Messrs. Menno Bauman, Amos Eby, Moses Weber, Samuel Stauffer, Peter Cober, Cyrus N. Good, Ephraim Sievenpiper, Silas Cressman, Falius Lehman, Louis Raymer, Harvey Frey and Ephraim Sievenpiper, the present pastor who is having his second term.
Immediately after organization the congregation steps were taken to educate the children in their religion. A Sunday school was started and having no church wherein to take up the work the M.B.C. church joined in with the Methodists and Presbyterians who had also a small congregation and were using the Methodist church on alternate Sundays with the Mennonites for service. They formed a union Sunday school which existed till the erection of the M.B.C. church in 1888. The veteran choir master, Peter Shupe, has given material aid to the singing by teaching classes during several winter terms. In its early days this congregation numbered somewhere about 35 members of which but two brothers survive, Christian Scheifele of St. Jacobs and Aaron near this village. In its early years this congregation took in a wide territory, having several members resident in West Montrose. Today the members are centred pretty much in and around the village. Other Organizations About 40 years ago the Salvation Army also started work in our midst, and for some time had quite a number of adherents which soon dwindled down one by one, so that very soon the Salvation Army was no more. About 35 years ago a band of about 25 was organized to further music and social entertainment in the village. This band did splendid work and existed for some years, when it died a natural death after it had been under the able leadership of the late Geo. A. McIntyre for a few years.
[Pg 1] Premier King Early Visitor Among the many people who have chosen this village and its picturesque vicinity to spend some of their leisure days was Canada's most worthy son and present Premier, the Hon. W. L. Mackenzie King, who on more recent visits to the village has recalled those pleasant holidays and made particular reference to the splendid time passed in our midst in his teen years.
RETAIL BUSINESS WAS VERY BRISK Charles Hendry Opened First Retail Store And Was Postmaster; Village Attracted Doctors, Shoemakers, Tailors and Blacksmiths In Early Days.
The large number of manufacturing plants employing a large number of men created room for the opening of a general store which was done by Charles Hendry who began on a small scale in a building put up for the purpose.
First General Store Business soon outgrew the capacity of the building, so a larger one was erected which was occupied as a general store for some years and then as a drugstore. In this building some five years ago O. Stroh opened a general store. After vacating this store Charles and Wm. Hendry built what is now the township hall and later the large brick building where they continued in business for about thirty years.
This building contained a large hall where the early township councils held their meetings and the sessions of the division court were also held there.
Early Mail Delivery The building also contained the post office with Chas Hendry as postmaster, presumably the first. Prior to the opening of the post office a free mail deliver was in use, whenever the courier happened to get the mail (continued on Page 2, Col 4) (In those days very little) in Berlin (now Kitchener) and deposit each man's mail in a rudely made receptacle placed along the roadside. The name of Geo. Steuernagel will be quite familiar with some of the direct descendants of the pioneers of Conestogo, as a mail courier.
Second Store A second store was opened later by John B. Snyder and Noah S. Bowman in a building adjoining the Snider flour mill. After continuing for some fifteen years, they dissolved partnership, leaving the latter to continue in business while the former went to St. Jacobs. Very son after Mr. Bowman bought out the Charles Hendry business and conducted it until sold out to his son George who kept it until his death six years ago. The building in recent years secured by Huehn Bros. who again opened a general store with Oscar and Herbert Huehn in charge.
Third Store A third store came into existence about the time the store previously mentioned had commenced doing business. The latter was also situated in the eastern limits and was the property of Philip Decker who was appointed postmaster after Charles Hendry had gone out of business. Upwards of 30 years the post office was in Mr. Decker's hands. He was later succeeded by the present postmaster, Jac. Kienzle.
Shoemakers Besides the foregoing business men in pioneer days and later there were others, among them a Mr. Hoffman who was the pioneer shoemaker followed in later years John Schumaker and John Klemmer and later by Geo. Scheubein who has been engaged in the footwear line for upwards of 40 years.
Early Blacksmiths Blacksmith's work was very extensive in the early days. There were first Henry Shoemaker and also Cole Bros. Closely allied with this trade is the wagon maker in which capacity Joseph W. Weber and Isaac Weber served the public for many years. These were followed by Aug. Bergman, Henry Good, Emanuel Bauman as blacksmiths and these again by Allan Good, Valentine Gies and Jacob Kienzle, of which the former two are still in business in the village. Wm. Cole followed the Webers as wagon maker and during the last years he was in business another wagon maker, Charles Hass, opened up but discontinued after some years. Since that time general repair men have taken up this line of work, Henry G. Hachborn doing it at present.
Following the opening up of the four mill and its extension a cooperage was opened. In this business Jacob Cuntz figured in the early days and the business still in possession of his son Jacob is done on the same premises.
Medical Attention It was found that somebody was required to look after the welfare of man and beast and the work of a veterinary surgeon was taken up by Mr. Lippert and later on by a M. Teft, while in later years veterinarians had located here for short times only. In the interests of mankind medical aid was obtained chiefly from Berlin until about 1875 when Dr. Passmore opened a surgery connected with an up-to-date drug store, which he conducted until about 1890 when he removed from our midst. He was followed by Doctor Wells, Grant and Evans since whose days medical aid again has had to be obtained from outside sources.
Watch Repairing A further business for which the village was widely known was that of the watchmaker or jeweller in which capacity Geo. Pfaff figured in the sixties and seventies, and about 1890 one of our native sons Isaiah Shoemaker commenced but after a few years left for greener pastures.
Tailor Shops In the early sixties there was a tailor, Joseph Gilles and a short time later Joseph Ritzer also opened out in this line in the building now the township hall. The former continued here till his death, while the latter with his sons who had been interested in the work removed to Indiana. N. S. Bowman had a tailor business in connection with his general store and Daniel Gabel, Geo. Bergman and others catered tho this trade. About 12 years ago Wm. Lederman opened a shop and has continued until the present time while several years ago Ed. J. Pfeffer also started in this trade and is at it today.
As a weaver, John Dahmer was well known, prior to his death some 20 years ago. A son, Martin, followed the father's trade for a short time and then gave it up and nobody has taken it up since.
The tinsmith days date back to the time of Mr. Levan and Geo. D. Dahmer has been in business here for upwards of 40 years.
BRIGHT PROSPECTS IN DAYS WHEN FIRST SETTLERS CAME
Early Settlers Moved Into Woolwich Township Following Oxtrails; Conestogo Founded On Prominent Location Between Rivers; Varied Industrial Enterprises Existed About 1850.
MANY SUBSTANTIAL BUILDINGS
In the beginning of the 19th century the fertile lands and thickly wooded forests of the Township of Woolwich attracted the attention of settlers from the state of Pennsylvania as well as that of immigrants from Germany who were seeking a living under conditions better than existed in the vast country they came from. these people as the first settlers of the township took up land in isolated parts there. As more followed it soon became necessary to build some sort of a roadway as a guide to settlers to find their way thru the dense forest.
Tradition has it that these early settlers in making this road followed the trail of the oxen which may explain our present too well known irregular roads running in all directors thruout the township and more particular those close to the rivers of which there are quite a few.
These rivers lose tot which the early settlers had erected their homes were swarming with fish and the forests with deer, bears and many kinds of smaller game which served as a means of livelihood. Besides there were innumerable wolves hovering about much to the discomfort of their new neighbors. Before the white man came the Indians had a very favorable abode along the Grand River from the Junction of the Conestogo River north. Here were valuable hunting grounds and relics of the Redmen have been found on the lands along this section of the stream up to the present day.
As years went by, the settlers increased. Improvements were started in the early years so that about 100 years ago provisional roadways had been made replacing the trails. it was necessary to establish settlements where the necessaries of life could be obtained, and as the section near the junction of the Grand and Conestogo rivers appeared to be a very promising location, on an elevation of about 1100 feet above the level of the sea level and with the beautiful Grand River valley to is north and that of the Conestogo to the south, the present village of Conestogo was founded here. The writer has not been able to obtain any facts as to the exact date of the founding but it must have been 100 years ago.
The first inhabitants of the baby village were of German and Pennsylvania Dutch stock which made a good combination of exemplary citizens with pluck and energy such as was required for insuring a stead and healthy growth. Various tradesmen soon opened places of business which began to prosper.
When about 20 years old, about 1845, the village could boast of quite a number of establishments. There were already established a foundry, saw mill, furniture factory, oat mill, distillery, four hotels, two brickyards, three blacksmiths, two wagon makers, shoemaker, cooperage, harness maker, tailor, general store, veterinary surgeon, lime burner, several carpenters and mason. For education there was a school while for spiritual welfare preparations were underway and about 1850 a congregation was formed.
Centre of Activity
About this time when all these places of business were flourishing, quite a number of men were employed with prospects of becoming a future town. but by this time Berlin, about 8 miles distant and somewhat older in years, had also been setting a nice pace. Being more centrally located and with better facilities it became the centre of business. As a result, not many years after the prospects of little Conestogo vanished. Gradually most of the businesses disappeared leaving buildings and in some cases but bare walls. In others not even so much remained to mark the spot of their once thriving existence.
With the means of earning power gone things went from bad to worse as the working man followed business in the trek to more flourishing places where he obtained work more to his liking or in his line of trade. Not so however the ordinary villager who had come to make this his home and was making history for his descendants in years to come. through pluck and integrity those who remained began improvements by erecting more substantial homes and sold places of business. Foundations were laid for a nice wide street bordering which were planted rows of young maple trees which have since grown and increased in beauty until now. Conestogo has the distinction of being one of the most beautiful villages in Ontario. With the fine wide and clean street goes the fact that all homes are surrounded by beautiful and well kept lawns.
From the homes of these stalwarts of years ago have gone forth and are now scattered over the four corners of the world in all walks of life, boys and girls who have developed into men and women of fine character. These include the ordinary man and many prominently engaged in business. Some are teachers and some preachers actively engaged at home or in christianizing the world in heathen lands.
Conestogo Agent Gathered Facts
The Daily Record offers its readers today a comprehensive survey of charming Conestogo, Waterloo country's leading summer resort. This historical review will be found replete with many interesting facts concerning the primitive settlements, the early business venture and the beginnings of churches and schools. Credit for the compilation is due to the efforts of Mr. Noah Stroh, the Daily Record's enterprising representative in the pretty village.
CONESTOGO'S LEADING SON
Of all native-born Conestogians who decided to enter the struggle of life outside the home village and who have been more or less successful in their undertakings, none has achieved a higher position nor become more prominent and respected among his fellow-citizens than the present distinguished representative for North Waterloo in the Dominion Parliament.
William D. Euler, son of Henry Euler. He was born in this village. In the public school he had the reputation of being a very bright scholar under the well known pedagogue the late Geo. A. McIntryre. After working for a number of years he again managed to take up educational studies in the Berlin High School from which he graduated and became a very successful teacher. Later on he held a position in various business colleges and finally became principal. He obtained ownership of the business college in Berlin (now Kitchener) where he entered the municipal field and became in 1913-1914 its Chief Magistrate. He entered the field for federal honors in 1917 as the Independent Liberal standard bearer and was successful. There the Conestogo working boy has worked himself up gradually to his present important position in life. [picture of W. D. Euler, M.P. who was born in Conestogo]
A director of the village business men of the present day is as follows: Snider Flour Milling Co. Ltd., millers; Jacob Cuntz, cooper; Allan Good, Valentine Gies, blacksmiths; Huehn Bros., Oscar Stroh, general stores; Jacob Schweitzer, grocery; Geo. D. Dahmer, hardware and tinsmith; Jacob Schweitzer, hotel; Edward Pfeffer, William Lederman, tailors; Letson and Winfield, garage; Bank of Nova Scotia branch; Moore Hill, harness maker; Geo. Schiubein, shoemaker; Oliver Scheifele, agent and willow specialist; Henry W. Ebel, flax manufacturer; M. C. Stroh, brick and tile maker; Henry G. Hachborn, general repair shop; Henry Holle, architect, contractor, and bailiff of the Division Court district; Oscar Huehn, division court clerk; Otto Koch butcher; Jacob Kienzle, postmaster and automobile agency; Miss Marion Schweitzer, music teacher; Misses Ethel Wilkinson and Florence Bradley, teachers; W. J. Snider, Township clerk and Noah Stroh, Daily Record agent.
Township Council Returned in 1904
In 1904 the Woolwich Township Council which in the early years had held its sessions in Hendry's Hall and later on in Wideman's Hall, St. Jacobs, decided to return to this place. A small building was purchased and the meetings have been held there since. About the same time Walter J. Snider was appointed township clerk to succeed John L. Wideman of St. Jacobs.
FLOUR MILL WAS FIRST INDUSTRY Built By David Musselman In 1845; Farmers Came Forty Miles Distant; Distillery, Pain and Furniture Factories And Foundry Have Disappeared; Flax Mill and Brickyard Still In Operation.
PETER KIRCH OLDEST VILLAGER
All lands in the early days was in the hands of large holders. Where the village now standing was part of a large holding belonging to David Musselman who himself lived on the western side of the village. It was this man Musselman who started the wheels of Conestogo running by beginning the very important business of flour milling. This was urgent owing to the extreme distance that settlers had to hand for their supplies as all these were brought in on horseback from Dundas.
The Milling Industry
In 1845 the flour mill was built, also a saw mill, both run by waterpower, obtained from the waters of the conestogo river diverted to these plants thru a raceway nearly a mile in length, the building of which was a colossal piece of work.
Mr. Musselman did not continue long as a miller, for in 1850 he sold the saw and grist mill with the property belonging to them to Henry Snider who conducted both for some years. The saw mill was finally abandoned and the mill taken away. More time was devoted to the flour mill which had attained wonderful proportions so much so that a new building on a far larger scale was put up equipped with more machinery.
About this time it was a common occurrence for farmers to come 40 and 45 miles with their wheat, so that very often from 20 to 30 teams stood waiting at this mill for their chance to unload. After a very successful term, Mr. Snider turned over his interests here to one of his sons Menno who remained at the head until about 1916. During this time he suffered reverses and a severe fire in 1904 wiped out the mill with its contents together with the storeroom for wheat all of which was lost.
New Mill Erected
Work was at once commenced on a new building of brick which was fitted with the most modern milling machinery. A few years later a large elevator was also erected to take the place of the one destroyed by fire. About 1916 the flour mill was taken over by Walter J. snider, son of the late Menno Snider and grandson of the late Henry Snider, who in 1919 also purchased the interests of the snider flour Moll in St. Jacobs. A joint stock company with W. J. Snider as president and manager has been operating both mils since then, under the name of the Snider Flour Milling Co., Limited.
Large Hotel Business
The years following the inauguration of flour milling turned out very satisfactory from a business point of view, as mills were few and far between.
Farmers were obliged to come 40 miles and more with their wheat, which made it necessary for them to stay over night and often taxed the accommodation of the four existing hotels. Those did a flourishing business until conditions changed and the long hauls were no longer necessary. When trade began to lessen one by one the hotels closed down until of the original hotel men, Messrs. Kurtis, Spaetz, C. Steuernagel, J. Cuntz, Ph. Oswald and M. Schweitzer, only the latter two remained. Finally Martin Schweitzer was the sole survivor. He continued in business until 1894 when the hotel was sold to his son Jacob who has been a worthy successor until the present day.
Old Time Distillery
Another important business with the promise of a bright future was the distillery owned by a Mr. Fields. The products of the distillery were considered a household necessity by the early settlers and were used quite freely. We have it on reliable authority that the genuine unadulterated article cold in those days be obtained at 25 cents per gallon and at times for even less than that. Consequently it was used almost as freely as water particularly by the farmers. As years went by natural conditions were not so rosy and the distillery went out of existence and at the present day nothing is left to mark the spot where it once stood except part of the foundation walls.
Another industry at one time doing a large business which however shared the same fate as the distillery was the paint manufactory run by a Mr. Sills. Paints in powder form were here produced until fire destroyed the plant and all that remains is the colored land where it was once located. [e-mailed to Chris VD Apr 26. Offered to send article.]
There was also a furnished factory where quite a number of men were employed. There was a good demand (Continued on Page 2, Col. 4.) for these products in the early days and they were produced from the saw logs which were teamed in.
In the western end of the village was erected a brick building in which was located an iron foundry where a Mr. Mulhearn manufactured stoves, plows, etc for a short time when it went into the hands of So. Kaufman who however soon closed down. This building, a solid brick structure, is to this day serving as a stable on the late Dilman Snyder property.
The Flax Mill
The flax mill, property of Perine Bros., was another of Conestogo's early industries and unlike some of the others has stood the test of time until the present day. It has been a valuable asset to the village. When Perine Bros. erected the mill the land was just being broken and flax mills were not very plentiful. Farmers came long distances to the flax mill here where a large staff of men, woman and children were employed in the various processes of turning the raw material into the finished product. The mill was furnished with up-to-date machines to assist in the work. These were driven by water power, obtained from a big overshot waterwheel, the remains of which have lately been unearthed. When a new water power system was installed the old waterwheel was replaced by a steam plant.
The name Perine was connected with the flax mills for many years. The partnership between the brothers William and Moses was dissolved in the sixties and the latter had charge until the eighties when it was turned over to his son, Edward A. Perine, who continued in business until his death. Since that time it has passed thru several hands. Geo. Gerbig disposed of it to Messrs. Ebel and Bowman, later Ebel and Foerster. The latter soon dropped out, leaving Henry W. Ebel as owner until the present day.
An Aged Villager
Peter Kirch, our oldest resident, who entered the employ of the Perine Bros., in their early days and later was foreman for many years, has been spared in possession of his good memory, to relate many interesting reminiscences of the flax industry in its early days.
Brick and Tile
Another business that has stood the test of time and that has made Conestogo famous is the brick and tile making industry which has had a varied career. The mode of manufacturing then was very primitive as these products were entirely handmade. This methos was on use in several brickyards right in the village. These were later abandoned and Karl Haack started a new yard a mile west of the village where he soon installed machinery for the making of bricks. These were used on buildings that went up about 1855.
The brick made here were of exceptional quality and a beautiful red color and many buildings in the nearby city and towns give testimony to this fact. Karl Haack sold his interest in the brick business to his son Edward who had charge of it for quite a few years when it again fell back in the hands of the elder Haack and he in turn resold it to Henry D. Dahmer. It remained in his hands for many years, and was discontinued some years ago owing to want of material.
White Brick Manufactured
Some 30 years ago Henry Holle started a new yard making white brick and tile. this later was sold to William Loebsack and again to Ebel and Foerster. Henry D. Dahmer again purchased this plant and after a few years sold to Melvin C. Stroh, the present owner, by whom great improvements have been made. In late years when building was not so brisk and brick not so much in demand, there was a great call for drain tile of which large quantities are made in the season's operations. [Pg 1 picture of Mr. and Mrs. Peter Kirch] [Collage of pictures of buildings]
LOG HOUSE SERVED AS PIONEER SCHOOL
Charles Peterson Was First Teacher; G. A. McIntyre Wielded Rod For Thirty Years; Splendid Modern School Building. Early Education
The pioneer villagers and the settlers of the surrounding country evinced an early interest in the educating of their children and commenced the building of the first school. This is reported to have been a log structure ut up near the mill race and the teacher who was engaged to train the young minds was Charles Peterson, later appointed county registrar. It was here that the foundation was laid toward making from raw material at hand, boys and girls, fit to attend to the future business needs and affairs of the country.
Little is known as to the term of his office here or that of other teachers immediately following him. After the log school house had served its purpose for several years, a larger building of frame was erected at what was known as the Oswald corner and when this became too small it was sold and has to this day stood on the farm of Ge. O. Stroh. Unlike the days when it was the scene of many getting warmed up, it has lately been the place of occasional warming-up for a few, as it now serves as the family woodshed.
A large brick building with two rooms was built about 1858, a little west of the village which was used until 1904 and where Messrs. Wilson, Bauman, Moyer and Ruby were succeeded by the well known pedagogue Ge. A. McIntryre as principal. For about 30 years he wielded the rod and following him came Messrs. Harper, Feuton, Becker, Armstrong, Creasy, Jamieson and the present principal Miss Wilkinson. During Mr. Feuton's terms, the new building, modern and up to date, was built and stands surrounded by beautiful grounds as a credit to the section.1a
1aBerlin Daily Record Apr. 26, 2008 typed by Marion Roes