|| 1879 - 2011|
||35 Wellington St. Cambridge, Waterloo Region, Ontario
||St. Patrick's Roman Catholic Church, Cambridge, Waterloo Region, Ontario
||still standing 2011
||Buildings and Organizations
||18 May 2012 |
- St. Patrick's Roman Catholic Church
Early missionaries from Niagara and St. Agatha were probably in the Galt area as well but mention is made only of Preston and Hespeler. However, Galt is included in the records at the time of Father John Holzer who did missionary work from New Germany (1848-1852) and Guelph (1852-1863). He is reported to have visited Galt in November, 1851 when he conducted Mass in a small house. Services continued to be held in private homes, in a cooper's shop, and in the upstairs of the Fire Hall. Catholics in Galt were few, none wealthy, and land for a Catholic church was not easily obtained. Father Holzer finally was able to secure property for this purpose by enlisting the services of a go-between; the deed for the property is dated December 19, 1855. A frame church was built in 1858-59, and the dedication service, conducted by the Rt. Rev. John Farrell, Bishop of Hamilton, was on Sunday, May 13, 1860.
From 1827 to 1834 the Galt area was served from Niagara-on-the-Lake by Fathers James W. Campion, Cassidy, and John Cullen, although there is no record that they actually came to Galt. Galt was attended to by priests from St. Agatha and Guelph from 1834-1852, from Brantford 1853-1857, and from Paris 1858 until 1876 when the congregation received its first resident pastor, Rev. Jeremiah Ryan. Galt became a Parish in the following year, 1877, and from that time the records remained in Galt.
The growing congregation necessitated the construction of a new and larger church in 1879-1880. The first frame church was moved to church property on Rose Street where it continued as the place of worship for the congregation until the new brick church was completed. The Rt. Rev. Peter Crinnon, Bishop of Hamilton, conducted the cornerstone laying ceremony on Tuesday afternoon, May 18, 1880. Dedication services for the new church were held on January 9, 1881, also by Bishop Crinnon.
Baptism dates: 1877- Location of records: at church
Marriage dates: 1877- Location of records: at church
Burial dates: 1877- Location of records: at church
Mahler (1962) states that records for Galt citizens are in the early registers of St. Agatha, New Germany, and Guelph's Church of Our Lady. Some early records might also be at Paris, to 1876. Preston church records may include the Roman Catholics from Galt who travelled there for church services and the sacraments before the Galt Church was built. See Waterloo County Marriages 1858-1869 for marriage information for 1860. Some Births for 1860 are in the Civil Registers for Waterloo County, National Archives microfilm C-15758, available at the Kitchener Public Library. Baptisms and Marriages in the Niagara District 1830-1832 (Norfolk 1992a) and 1827 Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials at Dundas, and Guelph 1827-1830 (Norfolk 1992b) have been transcribed and are available at the Kitchener Public Library.
[ADDRESS/LOCATION: 53 Wellington St., Cambridge, ON N1R 3Y6 - located in the Galt section of Cambridge; 623-3773.]
References: Cant 1915:76-81; Spetz 1916:162-166; R. Taylor 1986.
Church History: Mahler, Louis J. History of Saint Patrick's Parish, Galt, 1827-1962, 1962.1a
1aAmbrose, Rosemary. Waterloo County Churches A Research Guide to Churches Established Before 1900. Kitchener, Ontario, Canada: Waterloo-Wellington Branch, Ontario Genealogical Society, 1993. [with kind permission of Rosemary Ambrose]