||Hallman Mennonite Church, North Dumfries, Ontario
||2849 Roseville Rd., North Dumfries, Ontario
||church moved 1854
||Buildings and Organizations
||6 Dec 2011 |
- Hallman Meeting House
Begun: 1837 Closed: 1891
It is not known just when the first log meeting house of the Hallman congregation was built. However, on June 1, 1847 a one-acre plot of land, for a meeting house and burial ground, was deeded from Adam Unger to trustee, Jacob H. Detweiler. This land was east of Roseville on the northwest corner of Lot 31, Concession 11 of North Dumfries Township, and on the south side of the Blenheim or Roseville Road, which was built westerly from Galt. A stone cairn made up of old tombstones stands on this property today.
A new brick church, called Hallman Mennonite Church, was constructed in 1854 (Burkholder 1935:104) or 1856 (Taylor 1970:282) on land on the north side of the road, just west of the old meeting house. The congregation is reported to have disbanded in 1891. The property was sold soon after.
For information regarding the availability of any early records, please contact the Archivist at Conrad Grebel College, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON N2L 3G6.
[ADDRESS/LOCATION: The meeting house was located approximately one mile east of Roseville, toward Galt]
w References: Burkholder 1935:104; Kinzie, WHS 1951(39):43; A. Taylor 1970:282-283.1a
1aAmbrose, Rosemary. Waterloo County Churches A Research Guide to Churches Established Before 1900. Kitchener, Ontario, Canada: Waterloo-Wellington Branch, Ontario Genealogical Society, 1993. [used the kind permission of Rosemary Ambrose 2011]