Waterloo Region Generations
A record of the people of Waterloo Region, Ontario.
Search

Todd's Milling Co. Galt
Bef 1886 - Yes, date unknown


HomeHome    SearchSearch    PrintPrint    Add BookmarkAdd Bookmark

Personal Information    |    Media    |    Notes    |    Event Map    |    All    |    PDF

  • Birth  Bef 1886  Galt (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender  Unknown 
    Business  Abt 1886  Todd's Milling Co., Galt (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Todd's Milling Co. 
    Died  Yes, date unknown 
    Person ID  I6  Businesses
    Last Modified  22 Sep 2012 

  • Photos
    Todd's Milling Company Galt, 1886
    Todd's Milling Company Galt, 1886
    Industries of Canada Historical and Commercial Sketches Hamilton and Environs 1886

  • Notes 
    • Todd's Milling Co., comprising the firm of Thomas Todd & Son and John Scott, off Hawthorn Street - Among the most prominent manufacturing industries in Galt must be mentioned the Todd Milling Co., which is one of the largest concerns in this line in this section of the county. They have recently purchased the old Stockwell Mills, which had been lying idle for several years; and to meet the more modern requirements of the present day, they entirely overhauled the building, and took out all the old machinery and runs of stone, and entirely refitted it, giving the contract for the work to the celebrated flour mill builders, Messrs. Goldie & McCulloch, of this town, the interior arrangements being made after plans by the foreman, Mr. J.E. Wilson, which are complete in every particular. The building occupied is a substantially-built structure of stone, five stories in height, with basement, engine and boiler house; also a large store house for grain, fitted up with nine large hopper bins, thus being enabled to keep each grade separate. There is an automatic weigher for weighing the grain before passing into the rolls. In the basement of the mill is located the main line of shafting, with pulleys, two sets of large wheat brush machines, one Galt improved separator, one Galt improved cockle machine, one Galt improved smutter; also elevators for handling screenings and wheat. On the first floor are four runs of stones, twenty-four pairs of Galt improved rolls, three Galt improved flour packers and three weight scales. On the second floor are one improved centrifugal bolt, two middlings dusters and five purifiers; also bins for middlings and flour. The third floor contains four purifiers, four centrifugal bolts, one Galt improved middlings duster and bins. On the fourth floor are four Wilson's patent dust collectors and three four-reel bolts. On the fifth floor are two two-reel bolt chests, one single-reel chest, and the elevator tops, with dust protectors on each. The mill was fitted up under the direction of the foreman, Mr. Wilson who has several patents on the machines for the prevention of fire by friction, etc. The capacity of the mill is 350 barrels per day. The head miller is Mr. Anthony Marshall, who was lately in charge of a leading flour mill in Blenheim, Ont., and is a gentleman well qualified for the position in every respect, having had an extended experience of many years. The proprietors, Thomas Todd & Son and John Scott, are gentlemen of unquestioned business ability, push and enterprise, and are highly and justly esteemed in the community. Messrs. Todd & Son will continue to carry on their general produce and commission business, in the exportation of flour, grain and provisions, as heretofore.1a

      1aIndustries of Canada Historcial and Commercial Sketches Hamilton and Environs 1886

      ________________

      The Todd Milling Company

      This plant is located on Bruce Street, and is one of the largest of the kind in the Dominion. The mill was erected in 1878 by a Glasgow firm, and purchased in 1886 by the present company, which is composed of Messrs. Thos. Todd, John Scott and Martin N. Todd. Connected with the mill is an extensive cooper shop, directly opposite the mill. The barrels are sent across by an automatic contrivance as soon as completed. The whole establishment gives employment to a large number of hands. The mill is a substantial six storey structure, built of stone, and has a capacity of 400 barrels per day. It is fitted up with the most improved machinery, and their brands of flour are eagerly sought after, as is shown by the fact that a ready market is found for their large output, not only throughout the Dominion, but in competition with the world in the market of Great Britain. The gentlemen of the firm are also interested in the social side of the town's welfare, and are greeted on every hand as men of the highest commercial standing. Mr. Thos. Todd is president of the Street Railway and Mr. John Scott is one of the largest and most extensive cattle exporters in Canada.1a

      1aJubilee Souvenir of Galt 1897

  • Event Map
    Event
    Link to Google MapsBirth - Bef 1886 - Galt (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsBusiness - Todd's Milling Co. - Abt 1886 - Todd's Milling Co., Galt (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario Link to Google Earth
     = Link to Google Maps 
     = Link to Google Earth