||congregation begun 1876
||Galt Free Methodist Church, Cambridge, Waterloo Region, Ontario
||still exists 1993
||31 South St., Cambridge, Waterloo Region, Ontario
- Now known as Lincoln Park Free Methodist Church.
||Lincoln Park Free Methodist Church Cambridge |
||Buildings and Organizations
||6 Dec 2011 |
- Galt Free Methodist
Lincoln Park Free Methodist Church
A group of thirteen people who had been holding prayer meetings in Galt were organized in 1876 into a Free Methodist Society by Rev. Charles H. Sage of the North Michigan Conference. Galt was the first Free Methodist congregation in Canada. Rev. D.D. Marston (1877-1878) was the first resident minister, followed by James Craig (1879) and J.H. Winter (1880). The Canada Conference of the Free Methodist Church was organized at a meeting in Galt in 1880.
Early services of the Galt Free Methodist Church were held in a house on Brook Street owned by Mr. & Mrs. E. Rhodes until a church was built. The first parsonage was built in 1904 on land donated by J. Ballantine. In 1909, when J.A. Fletcher was minister, the church and parsonage were sold and a downtown church was built at 37 Wellington St. An adjacent building was purchased for a parsonage. In May 1953 the sod was turned for a new church on South Street at Centre Street; a basement church was opened in October of that year; the upper part of the church was built c.1956.
Baptism dates: unknown Location of records: unknown
Marriage dates unknown Location of records: unknown
Burial dates: unknown Location of records: unknown
[ADDRESS/LOCATION: 31 South St., Cambridge, ON N1R 2N6 - in the Galt section of Cambridge; 621-7722.]
References: Cant 1915:71-72; R. Taylor 1986.
Church History: Campbell, J.A. History of the Galt Free Methodist Church, 1956.1a
1aAmbrose, Rosemary. Waterloo County Churches A Research Guide to Churches Established Before 1900. Kitchener, Ontario, Canada: Waterloo-Wellington Branch, Ontario Genealogical Society, 1993. [used the kind permission of Rosemary Ambrose 2011]