Waterloo Region Generations
A record of the people of Waterloo Region, Ontario.
Search

Lincoln Avenue United Church Cambridge
1891 - 2011


HomeHome    SearchSearch    PrintPrint    Add BookmarkAdd Bookmark

Personal Information    |    Notes    |    Event Map    |    All    |    PDF

  • Birth  congregation begun 1891  73 Pollock Ave., Cambridge, Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender  Unknown 
    Church  1891  Lincoln Avenue United Church, Cambridge, Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Congregation Begins 
    Name  Lincoln Avenue Community United Church Cambridge 
    Name  Lincoln Avenue Methodist Church Cambridge 
    Died  still exists 2011 
    Person ID  I606  Buildings and Organizations
    Last Modified  25 Aug 2011 

  • Notes 
    • Lincoln Avenue United Church

      Begun: 1891

      Lincoln Avenue Methodist Church began as a Mission of Ainslie Street Methodist Church (later Wesley United) before the turn of the century. Recognizing the need for a Sunday School in the neighbourhood of the present Lincoln Avenue Church, Mr. A.E. Mullet, a member of the Ainslie Street Church, provided a home which belonged to him on McNaughton Street for the purpose. The Sunday School, which was to lead to the organization of Lincoln Avenue Methodist Church, began in this house in November 1891 but was later moved to another location on Chalmers Street. In 1897 a frame building which was used as a church was built on the northeast corner of Pollock and Lincoln Avenues.

      Matthew English Conron was appointed by the Hamilton Conference in 1909 to be the first minister, and during his time plans for a church were made. (Two years later, in 1911, Rev. Mr. Conron was ordained a minister at the Galt Methodist Church with Rev. Alex. J. Irwin presiding. He then moved to Hamilton where he served Calvary Methodist Church from 1911-1914.) The new church, on the southeast corner of Pollock and Lincoln Avenues, was dedicated on September 10, 1911, during the ministry of Rev. W.H. Sterne.

      On June 10, 1925 the Congregational and Methodist churches and some Presbyterian churches united to form the United Church of Canada. In 1928 the church was referred to as Lincoln Avenue Community United Church. Fire in 1935 damaged the interior of the church, but the congregation was able to return to the church after a six week period during which time services were held in the Anglican Mission Sunday School (now St. David's Anglican Church) on Pollock Avenue.

      Records:
      Baptism dates: unknown Location of records: unknown
      Marriage dates: unknown* Location of records: unknown*
      Burial dates: unknown Location of records: unknown

      *The Lincoln Avenue Methodist Marriage Register for 1912-1913 is at the United Church Archives.

      [ADDRESS/LOCATION: 73 Pollock Ave., Cambridge, ON N1R 2B4 - located in the Galt section of Cambridge; 621-5900.]
      References: Cant 1915:59-60; Galt 1928:81; Lincoln Avenue United Church History, 1991 (unpublished); Wesley United Church 19541a

      1aAmbrose, Rosemary. Waterloo County Churches A Research Guide to Churches Established Before 1900. Kitchener, Ontario, Canada: Waterloo-Wellington Branch, Ontario Genealogical Society, 1993. [used the kind permission of Rosemary Ambrose 2011]

  • Event Map
    Event
    Link to Google MapsBirth - congregation begun 1891 - 73 Pollock Ave., Cambridge, Waterloo Region, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsChurch - Congregation Begins - 1891 - Lincoln Avenue United Church, Cambridge, Waterloo Region, Ontario Link to Google Earth
     = Link to Google Maps 
     = Link to Google Earth