Waterloo Region Generations
A record of the people of Waterloo Region, Ontario.
Search

St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church Joined with Central Presbyterian - building gone Cambridge
1833 - 1889


HomeHome    SearchSearch    PrintPrint    Add BookmarkAdd Bookmark

Personal Information    |    Notes    |    Event Map    |    All    |    PDF

  • Nickname 
    Birth  constructed 1833  60 St. Andrews St., Cambridge, Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender  Unknown 
    Associated people and events  60 St. Andrews St., Cambridge, Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Church  1833  St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church, Cambridge, Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    construction 
    Church  1879  St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church, Cambridge, Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    merged with Union Presbyterian Church to form Central Presbyterian 
    Former Geographic Area  Galt 
    Died  demolished 1889 
    Person ID  I612  Buildings and Organizations
    Last Modified  18 May 2012 

  • Notes 
    • St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church

      Begun: 1832 Closed: 1880

      The first minister of St. Andrew's was Rev. William Stewart of Kenmore, Scotland, who arrived in Canada in 1831. He ministered to this congregation of the Presbyterian Church of Canada in Connection with the Church of Scotland from 1832-c.1834. Rev. Stewart was followed in 1835 by the Rev. John Bayne. In 1844  Rev. Bayne  espoused the cause of the Free Church of Scotland which had been formed in 1843, as a result of the Disruption, when a large number of clergy and laity had split from the Church of Scotland in part because of disagreement over the right of a congregation to call its own minister.

      Rev. Bayne was instrumental in founding the Synod of the (Free) Presbyterian Church of Canada, in 1844. This caused a deep division in the congregation of his own church, St. Andrew's. The result was that Rev. Bayne formed a new congregation in 1844, known as Knox Free Church, which was made up of the majority of the members of the congregation of St. Andrew's. St. Andrew's remained with the Synod of the Presbyterian Church of Canada in Connection with the Church of Scotland.

      St. Andrew's church building, of frame, was begun in 1833 and finished in 1835; according to Young (1880:74) it was built on the west hill overlooking the village.

      After the departure of Rev. Bayne, St. Andrew's was served by Revs. John Malcolm Smith (1848-1850), Hamilton Gibson (1850-1860), Robert Campbell (1862-1866), James B. Muir (1867-1874), and William Masson (from 1874 until his resignation in October 1879). Rev. Smith and Rev. Gibson also travelled to Woolwich once a month to preach to the congregation of St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church in Winterbourne.

      On May 18, 1880 St. Andrew's and Union Presbyterian Churches joined together to form Central Presbyterian Church; the St. Andrew's Church building was taken down in 1889.

      [Note: the present-day St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church in Galt dates from c.1917, the outgrowth of a Mission School of Central Presbyterian Church which had its beginnings c.1891. (A. Taylor, WHS 1950(38):37-38.)]

      Records:
      Baptism dates: 1832-1875 Location of records: Central Presbyterian Church
      Marriage dates: 1849-1879 Location of records: Central Presbyterian Church
      Burial dates: unknown Location of records: unknown

      On microfilm at the Cambridge Public Library are: Baptisms July 15, 1832-March 9, 1834; October 18, 1844; February 14, 1845-June 1848; November 26, 1848-February 1862; December 1862-February 1875. Also Marriages February 1849-November 1857 and 1858-1879; including several pages for February 16, 1850-September 5, 1850; January 30, 1851-Oct 22, 1852; and January 2, 1854-March 1857 (all indexed). Those records for St. Andrew's currently at Central Presbyterian Church are: Session books 1836-1879, and the Church Minutes Book 1846-1863. At the Archives of Ontario: Baptisms 1832-1902, Marriages 1851-1899. Some Births for 1837, 1839, 1852-55, 1860 are in the Civil Registers for Waterloo County, National Archives microfilm C-15758, which is available at the Kitchener Public Library. Huber (1986) contains some Marriage information. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints microfilm 0204131 contains Baptisms 1832-1862, 1861-1875, and Marriages 1849-1879.

      References: Barrie 1982; Cant 1915:30; Dickson 1904:106; Grant 1967:11, 1988:123-126; Hamilton 1941:26; Hebblethwaite, WHS 1946(52):79-82; Presbyterian Church; Quantrell, WHS 1988(76):113,119,121; Smith 1965:108; A. Taylor 1970:205-206; R. Taylor 1986; Young 1880:74,85,198,203.1a

      1aAmbrose, Rosemary. Waterloo County Churches A Research Guide to Churches Established Before 1900. Kitchener, Ontario, Canada: Waterloo-Wellington Branch, Ontario Genealogical Society, 1993. [used the kind permission of Rosemary Ambrose 2011]

      Church History: See Central Presbyterian Church History

  • Event Map
    Event
    Link to Google MapsBirth - constructed 1833 - 60 St. Andrews St., Cambridge, Waterloo Region, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsAssociated people and events - - 60 St. Andrews St., Cambridge, Waterloo Region, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsChurch - construction - 1833 - St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church, Cambridge, Waterloo Region, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsChurch - merged with Union Presbyterian Church to form Central Presbyterian - 1879 - St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church, Cambridge, Waterloo Region, Ontario Link to Google Earth
     = Link to Google Maps 
     = Link to Google Earth