||Central Presbyterian Church, Cambridge, Waterloo Region, Ontario
||Union Presbyterian Church, Cambridge, Waterloo Region, Ontario
|name change Union Presbyterian |
- Name was adopted in 1870 in 1879 merged with St. Andrew's Presbyterian to form Central Presbyterian.
||Buildings and Organizations
||6 Dec 2011 |
- Union Presbyterian Church
Begun: 1870 Closed: 1880
The church was formed from the union of Melville Presbyterian Church and the short-lived Bayne Church (or the New Presbyterian Congregation) on April 13, 1870. Bayne Church had been formed on August 19, 1869, and had held its first and last communion in November 1869. In June of 1879 the pulpit of Union Church, which had been occupied by Rev. Richard Bentley since 1871, became vacant. Rev. James A.R. Dickson, who was soon to serve the new united Central Presbyterian Church congregation, was called to Union Church on October 14, 1879. Union joined with St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church to become Central Presbyterian Church on May 18, 1880. The Union Church building was sold to Thomas Hamilton and was "used as a dwelling until destroyed by fire in 1890" (Barrie 1982:33).
Baptism dates: 1870-1880 Location of records: Central Presbyterian Church
Marriage dates: 1870-1880 Location of records: Central Presbyterian Church
Burial dates: unknown Location of records: unknown
Session Minutes 1870-1880, and Managers' Records 1870-1879, are also at Central Presbyterian Church. Baptisms 1870-1880 are on The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints microfilm 0204131.
References: Armstrong 1881; Barrie 1982; Dickson 1904:64,89-90; Presbyterian Church; A. Taylor 1970:198; R. Taylor 1986.
Church History: See Central Presbyterian Church History.1a
1aAmbrose, Rosemary. Waterloo County Churches A Research Guide to Churches Established Before 1900. Kitchener, Ontario, Canada: Waterloo-Wellington Branch, Ontario Genealogical Society, 1993. [used the kind permission of Rosemary Ambrose 2011]
|Birth - 1870 - Central Presbyterian Church, Cambridge, Waterloo Region, Ontario