Waterloo Region Generations
A record of the people of Waterloo Region, Ontario.
Search

Cambridge Citadel Corps (Salvation Army) Cambridge
Abt 1890 - 1950


HomeHome    SearchSearch    PrintPrint    Add BookmarkAdd Bookmark

Personal Information    |    Notes    |    Event Map    |    All    |    PDF

  • Birth  Abt 1890  Ainslie St. S., Cambridge, Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender  Unknown 
    Church  Abt 1890  Ainslie St. S., Cambridge, Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    construction 
    • The Galt Corps was the 29th Salvation Army Corps established in Canada. Early meetings were held in the upstairs of the old fire hall on Water Street South and in the Temperance Hall which was located above  John Sloan's  grocery store on Water Street South, not far from the Main Street corner. Several years later property was acquired on Mill Street (later Ainslie Street South) and a two storey building was erected. This building was to serve the Galt Corps until 1950.1a

      1aAmbrose, Rosemary. Waterloo County Churches A Research Guide to Churches Established Before 1900. Kitchener, Ontario, Canada: Waterloo-Wellington Branch, Ontario Genealogical Society, 1993. [used the kind permission of Rosemary Ambrose 2011]
    Alt Address  1950  12 Shade St., Cambridge, Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    alt name  Salvation Army, Cambridge, Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Former Geographic Area  Galt 
    Died  congregation moved 1950 
    Person ID  I620  Buildings and Organizations
    Last Modified  17 May 2012 

  • Notes 
    • Cambridge Citadel Corps

      Begun: 1884

      According to the Dumfries Reformer of March 20, 1884, the Salvation Army arrived in Galt on Friday, March 14, 1884 and conducted meetings in the town that evening and on the following two days, the 15th and 16th as well. Handbills announcing the arrival of the Army had been circulated on March 10, 1884.

      The Galt Corps was the 29th Salvation Army Corps established in Canada. Early meetings were held in the upstairs of the old fire hall on Water Street South and in the Temperance Hall which was located above  John Sloan's  grocery store on Water Street South, not far from the Main Street corner. Several years later property was acquired on Mill Street (later Ainslie Street South) and a two storey building was erected. This building was to serve the Galt Corps until 1950.

      Land was purchased on Shade Street near Main Street (12 Shade Street) in October 1946 for a new Citadel. It was not until 1949, however, that work was begun. The cornerstone laying ceremony was conducted on Saturday, November 26, 1949 by Commissioner Charles Baugh. On June 3, 1950 a final service was held in the old hall on Ainslie Street, after which the Galt Corps marched to the new Citadel for the key turning ceremony. By the late 1970s additional space was again a necessity; a decision was made to enlarge the Shade Street Citadel rather than move to a larger property away from the centre of the city. The sod turning ceremony for the new Citadel which was to be attached to the north side of the older building was held on November 30, 1981. The last services held in that building were on Sunday September 5, 1982; services on the next three Sundays were held in the Young Peoples' Hall. The official opening and dedication of the new church was conducted by Commissioner Arthur Pitcher, Territorial Commander for Canada and Bermuda, on Saturday, October 2, 1982; the first services were held the next day, Sunday, October 3, 1982. The old church was converted into a new Young Peoples' Hall, used for services and meetings, with a large, efficient kitchen adjacent to it.

      The first Commanding Officer in Galt was  Captain Fred Galletley  who was affectionately referred to as "Lightning Fred." Other early officers (1884-1885) were Captains James Ludgate, George Fisher and Mary Powell. Of interest: in August 1885, Doon was considered an Outpost of Galt. In 1888 the Galt Corps was seeking followers in Preston.

      Records:
      Dedication dates: 1978- Location of records: at church
      Marriage dates: 1973- Location of records: at church
      Burial dates: unknown Location of records: unknown
      Soldiers' enrolment: 1921- Location of records: at church

      Located at the church also are two Corps History Books: 1926-1980, and 1981 to the present. Salvation Army records at the Army's Heritage Centre (Archives and Museum) on Bayview Avenue in Toronto are available to researchers subject to certain conditions. Contact the Archives at (416) 481-4441 for further information.

      [ADDRESSS/LOCATION: 16 Shade St., Cambridge, ON N1R 4J5 - located in the Galt section of Cambridge; 623-1221.]
      References: Cant 1915:66; R. Taylor 1986.

      Church History: History of Cambridge (Galt) Citadel Corps 1884-1984, 1984. 2 pps.1a

      1aAmbrose, Rosemary. Waterloo County Churches A Research Guide to Churches Established Before 1900. Kitchener, Ontario, Canada: Waterloo-Wellington Branch, Ontario Genealogical Society, 1993. [used the kind permission of Rosemary Ambrose 2011]

  • Event Map
    Event
    Link to Google MapsAlt Address - 1950 - 12 Shade St., Cambridge, Waterloo Region, Ontario Link to Google Earth
     = Link to Google Maps 
     = Link to Google Earth