Waterloo Region Generations
A record of the people of Waterloo Region, Ontario.
Search

Roseville Rd. 3445 - Church - stone - Detweiler Meetinghouse North Dumfries
1855 - 2011


HomeHome    SearchSearch    PrintPrint    Add BookmarkAdd Bookmark

Personal Information    |    Notes    |    Event Map    |    All    |    PDF

  • Birth  constructed 1855  3445 Roseville Rd., North Dumfries, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender  Unknown 
    Church  1855  Detweiler Meetinghouse, North Dumfries, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    construction 
    Name  Detweiler Meeting Hosue North Dumfries 
    Name  Roseville Mennonite Church North Dumfries 
    Died  stil standing 2011 
    Person ID  I624  Buildings and Organizations
    Last Modified  28 Aug 2011 

  • Notes 
    • Roseville Mennonite Church (Detweiler Meeting House)

      Begun: 1822 Closed: 1966

      Services began in homes in the area with the arrival of the first settlers around 1822. A first meeting house was built about 1830 approximately a half-mile west of Roseville, on the south side of the road. One acre of land on the northeast corner of Lot 37, Concession 11, North Dumfries Township, was transferred from Samuel C. Snyder. The deed for the property was dated 1830, but it was not registered until August 1842. A stone meeting house was built in 1855 just slightly east of the old log meeting house; the church was dedicated on November 25, 1855 by the congregation's first minister,  Jacob F. Detweiler .  Henry Shantz,   Enoch Detweiler  and  Solomon Gehman  were the ministers who followed Jacob F. Detweiler.

      Sunday School began in 1924 and in 1933 Young People's Bible Meetings were organized. The latter meetings were held in conjunction with those of the Blenheim Mennonite Church. A Sunday School classroom was added to the Detweiler church in 1956.

      Moses Bowman , a layman from First Mennonite Church in Kitchener, was ordained minister to Detweiler Mennonite Church in 1938 where he continued to serve until the time of his death in 1964. The small congregation was served by visiting ministers until it disbanded in January 1966. Some of the remaining families are reported to have joined with Blenheim Mennonite Church at that time.

      Records:

      Records at the Mennonite Archives of Ontario include the Church Record Book 1862-1940 and the Sunday School records 1924-1966. For information from these records please contact the Archivist at Conrad Grebel College, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON N2L 3G6.

      [ADDRESS/LOCATION: just west of Roseville on the south side of the road]
      w References: Burkholder 1935:70-71; Detwiler, WHS 1965(35):36-40; Epp 1974:125; Epp 1982:269; Kinzie, WHS 1951(39):42; Norman Shantz 1984:18-19; A. Taylor 1970:281-282.1a

      1aAmbrose, Rosemary. Waterloo County Churches A Research Guide to Churches Established Before 1900. Kitchener, Ontario, Canada: Waterloo-Wellington Branch, Ontario Genealogical Society, 1993. [used the kind permission of Rosemary Ambrose 2011]

  • Event Map
    Event
    Link to Google MapsBirth - constructed 1855 - 3445 Roseville Rd., North Dumfries, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsChurch - construction - 1855 - Detweiler Meetinghouse, North Dumfries, Ontario Link to Google Earth
     = Link to Google Maps 
     = Link to Google Earth