Waterloo Region Generations
A record of the people of Waterloo Region, Ontario.
Search

Roseville United Brethern in Christ Church (Roseville) North Dumfries
1860 - still in existence


HomeHome    SearchSearch    PrintPrint    Add BookmarkAdd Bookmark

Personal Information    |    Notes    |    Event Map    |    All    |    PDF

  • Birth  congregation begun About 1860  2729 Fischer-Hallman Rd., North Dumfries, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender  Unknown 
    Church  Roseville United Brethern in Christ Church, North Dumfries, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Died  still in existence 
    Person ID  I628  Properties
    Last Modified  28 Aug 2011 

  • Notes 
    • Roseville United Brethren in Christ Church

      Begun: c.1860

      Although early meetings are reported to have begun in the Roseville area as early as 1860, it was not until 1881 that Rev. George Backus of New Dundee came to the area to conduct regular services in Roseville homes on Sunday evenings. The first services were held in the home of  Mrs. Jacob Bricker ; there were seven charter members in the group. Shortly after this time, c.1884, the present church building, which was originally of frame and dates to 1852 when it belonged to a Lutheran Congregation, was bought from the Wesleyan Methodists who had acquired it earlier from the Lutherans. The first United Brethren in Christ pastors after Rev. Backus were  Revs. David B. Sherk  and  Jacob. B. Bowman . The congregation remained on a circuit until 1969 when the connection ended with New Dundee and Roseville became independent. A parsonage was purchased in 1971 and on September 9, 1973 a sod-breaking ceremony was held for the Christian Education addition. Dedication services were held on October 6, 1974.

      A split in the United Brethren in Christ in 1889 resulted in two groups calling themselves by that name. One group joined the Congregationals in 1906. The other group remained United Brethren in Christ until November 16, 1946 when most congregations of the United Brethen in Christ organization joined with the Evangelical Church to form the Evangelical United Brethren Church - later to join with the United Church on January 1, 1968. This congregation is one of three United Brethren in Christ Churches in Waterloo County today. The others are Stanley Park in Kitchener, and New Dundee. The headquarters of the church is in Huntington, Indiana.

      Although the building was originally of frame construction, remodelling and renovations have resulted in the church building of today.

      Records:
      Baptism dates: 1883- Location of records: at church
      Marriage dates: 1935- Location of records: at church
      Burial dates: 1921- Location of records: at church

      [ADDRESS/LOCATION: Contact the Pastor, Roseville, ON NOB 1E0; 696-3005.]
      References: Getz 1964:5; Kinzie, WHS 1951(39):42; Perrin 1967:9; Roseville 1981; A. Taylor 1970:280; R. Taylor 1986.1a

      1aAmbrose, Rosemary. Waterloo County Churches A Research Guide to Churches Established Before 1900. Kitchener, Ontario, Canada: Waterloo-Wellington Branch, Ontario Genealogical Society, 1993. [used the kind permission of Rosemary Ambrose 2011]

  • Event Map
    Event
    Link to Google MapsBirth - congregation begun About 1860 - 2729 Fischer-Hallman Rd., North Dumfries, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsChurch - - Roseville United Brethern in Christ Church, North Dumfries, Ontario Link to Google Earth
     = Link to Google Maps 
     = Link to Google Earth