Waterloo Region Generations
A record of the people of Waterloo Region, Ontario.
Search

Bloomingdale United Brethern in Christ Church See Bloomingdale United Bloomingdale
1860 - 2011


HomeHome    SearchSearch    PrintPrint    Add BookmarkAdd Bookmark

Personal Information    |    Notes    |    Event Map    |    All    |    PDF

  • Nickname 
    Birth  congregation started 1860  Bloomingdale United Church, Bloomingdale, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender  Unknown 
    Alt Address  Bloomingdale United Brethern in Christ Church, Bloomingdale, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Church  1879  860 Sawmill Rd., Bloomingdale, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    construction 
    • On the Waterloo Circuit of the United Brethren in Christ, the first church building, known as the Ebenezer Chapel, was built 1860-1861 on the Winterbourne Road at the junction of that road and the Town Line Road with the Conestogo Road, a junction known as the "Crowsfoot", soon after the arrival in the area of the circuit rider, Rev. S.L. Downey. This first church soon became too small for the growing congregation and the present church site in Bloomingdale was purchased c.1878. A new plain white brick church was in place by the fall of 1879.1a

      1aAmbrose, Rosemary. Waterloo County Churches A Research Guide to Churches Established Before 1900. Kitchener, Ontario, Canada: Waterloo-Wellington Branch, Ontario Genealogical Society, 1993. [used the kind permission of Rosemary Ambrose 2011]
    Died  still exists 2011 
    Person ID  I633  Buildings and Organizations
    Last Modified  6 Dec 2011 

  • Notes 
    • Bloomingdale United Church

      Begun: 1860

      On the Waterloo Circuit of the United Brethren in Christ, the first church building, known as the Ebenezer Chapel, was built 1860-1861 on the Winterbourne Road at the junction of that road and the Town Line Road with the Conestogo Road, a junction known as the "Crowsfoot", soon after the arrival in the area of the circuit rider, Rev. S.L. Downey. This first church soon became too small for the growing congregation and the present church site in Bloomingdale was purchased c.1878. A new plain white brick church was in place by the fall of 1879.

      A split in the United Brethren in Christ Church in 1889 resulted in two branches each calling themselves United Brethren in Christ. One group remained United Brethren in Christ until November 16, 1946 when the United Brethren in Christ Church united with the Evangelical Church to form the Evangelical United Brethren Church. The other group joined the Congregational Church in 1906, and then the United Church in 1925. The Bloomingdale church belonged to this latter group, although some members who had supported the first group left the church. The minister from Alma Street United Brethren in Christ Church in Berlin held services for them in homes and then in a small house purchased by Joseph Snyder c.1900 and converted into a church. This small congregation existed for only another 10 years or so.

      A 40 foot tower was added to the church in 1904 at the same time renovations were made to the interior. Dedication services to mark the reopening of the church were held on June 5, 1904. The Bloomingdale congregation joined with the Congregational Church in the spring of 1907 when the transfer of the church property from the United Brethren in Christ Church to the congregation was completed. Bloomingdale was served by the same pastors as Hawkesville (1864-1905) and West Montrose (1862-1907). Bloomingdale became a United Church as of June 10, 1925 and was later with Highland Road United Church in Kitchener. An addition was built on the north side of the church in 1961.

      Records:
      Baptism dates: unknown Location of records: some at United Church Archives
      Marriage dates: 1898-1931* Location of records: at United Church Archives
      Burial dates: unknown Location of records: some at United Church Archives

      The United Brethren in Christ Waterloo Circuit Register for 1874-1907 at the United Church Archives is said to contain some Bloomingdale references as does the Marriage Register for 1898-1931. *Marriages from January 11, 1898-September 12, 1906, March 10, 1909-December 10, 1924, and February 18, 1926-December 14, 1931 include many references to Bloomingdale and several to Rosendale, and have been transcribed (Madill 1986a); a copy of the transcription is at the Kitchener Public Library.

      [ADDRESS/LOCATION: 19 Main St., Bloomingdale, ON NOB 1K0; 745-0535.]
      References: Bloomingdale W.I.; Getz 1964:5; Sherk, WHS 1924(12):107; R. Taylor 1986; United Brethren in Christ Church.1a

      1aAmbrose, Rosemary. Waterloo County Churches A Research Guide to Churches Established Before 1900. Kitchener, Ontario, Canada: Waterloo-Wellington Branch, Ontario Genealogical Society, 1993. [used the kind permission of Rosemary Ambrose 2011]

  • Event Map
    Event
    Link to Google MapsBirth - congregation started 1860 - Bloomingdale United Church, Bloomingdale, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsAlt Address - - Bloomingdale United Brethern in Christ Church, Bloomingdale, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsChurch - construction - 1879 - 860 Sawmill Rd., Bloomingdale, Ontario Link to Google Earth
     = Link to Google Maps 
     = Link to Google Earth