||, Scotland 
||Doon Presbyterian Church, Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario
||Preston (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario 
|Eby ID Number
||Yes, date unknown
||15 Mar 2017 |
||Jessie, b. 1838, , Scotland , d. Yes, date unknown |
| ||1. Jane McKenzie, b. 1862, , Ontario , d. Yes, date unknown|
| ||2. Mary A. McKenzie, b. 1863, , Ontario , d. Yes, date unknown|
| ||3. Katie McKenzie, b. 1865, , Ontario , d. Yes, date unknown|
| ||4. William H. McKenzie, b. 1869, , Ontario , d. Yes, date unknown|
- Doon Presbyterian Church
The Minutes of the 1852 Annual Meeting of the Presbyterian Church of Canada refer to a joint charge of the congregations of Woolwich and Doon Mills in the Presbytery of Hamilton. In 1853 and 1854 Doon Mills was a charge with New Aberdeen. Formal organization of the Doon congregation was on July 9, 1853 by Rev. Dr. John Bayne of Knox's Presbyterian Church in Galt, who had held the first church service in Doon just two days before. The present church was built in 1854 on land donated by Mr. Robert Ferrie. Dedication services were held on December 31, 1854, with Rev. Bayne conducting the morning service and Rev. Duncan McRuer of Knox Presbyterian Church, Ayr preaching in the afternoon.
The congregation was placed on a two-point charge with New Hope (Hespeler) on October 25, 1855 with Rev. Thomas Isaac Hodgskin as missionary. A first communion service was held on February 25, 1856. Later that year (October 16, 1856), Rev. Hodgskin was inducted as minister; he later resigned from the Presbyterian Church. (The Minutes of the 1863 Annual Meeting of the Canada Presbyterian Church recorded that effective June 24, 1862 Rev. Hodgskin was considered no longer to be a minister or member of the Church.) Rev. Malcolm McKenzie arrived in the Fall of 1861 and was ordained and inducted to the service of both churches on February 12, 1862. Rev. George Haigh became Minister to Doon, Preston and Hespeler on April 24, 1876. On March 20, 1883 Doon and Hespeler were made into a pastoral charge under Rev. Haigh and were separated from Preston, which became a Mission Station.
The congregation later, in 1893, became a second charge to Preston, when Hespeler called its first full-time minister. In the same year, Rev. Herbert Francis Thomas became minister to the two-point charge of Doon and Preston. However, it was not until 1972 that Doon became independent. An ordained minister was appointed in 1976 and a manse was purchased in 1977. A new addition was constructed in 1980 and dedicated on November 9, 1980. The congregation of Doon Presbyterian Church became self-supporting as of July 1, 1982. Ten years later, another addition was completed, and officially opened and dedicated on Sunday, September 27, 1992.1
1Waterloo County Churches A Research Guide To Churches Established Before 1900 By Rosemary Ambrose
St. Andrew's Hespeler Presbyterian Church
A congregation was organized in 1855 and on October 25, 1855 Hespeler (known at the time as New Hope) was placed on a two-point charge with Doon. Thomas Isaac Hodgskin was minister to the two congregations, beginning his service as a missionary, and later being called (September 30, 1856) and inducted October 16, 1856 to the joint congregations as pastor. Rev. Malcolm McKenzie, who arrived in the Fall of 1861, was ordained and inducted to the church on February 12, 1862. It was during his ministry that the congregation's first church was built on Cooper Street in 1862-1863, on land which had been donated in 1856 by Robert Forbes. A first communion was held on May 31, 1863.
The charge was shared with Preston and Doon from April 24, 1876 when the Rev. George Haigh was formally inducted as minister to the three congregations. On March 20, 1883 Doon and Hespeler were made into a pastoral charge under Rev. Haigh and were separated from Preston, which became a Mission Station. Rev. Haigh resigned on October 16, 1892, but it was not long before the Rev. Daniel Strachan was called as Hespeler's first full-time minister - in January 1893. He was ordained and inducted on February 9, 1893. As of November 15, 1893 Hespeler was separated from Doon and became a separate, self-sustaining charge.
A decision to build a new church was made in early 1908, land on Queen Street was purchased, and the present church was built in 1909-1910. After dedication services were held in the new church March 13, 1910, the old church became Alexandra Hall. It remained as such until 1916 when it was sold to the Roman Catholics to replace their own church on Cooper Street which had been destroyed by fire. St. Andrew's celebrated its Centennial in 1955, the same year in which the manse was built. Services were held on Sunday October 25, 1992 to celebrate the 137th Anniversary of the organization of the congregation.2
2Waterloo County Churches A Research Guide To Churches Established Before 1900 By Rosemary Ambrose
- [S105] Census - ON, Waterloo, Preston - 1871, Pg 19.