||22 Jul 1821
||Edinburgh, , Midlothian, Scotland [1, 2, 3]
||Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario 
||Galt (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario 
||Galt (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario 
|Free Church |
|Eby ID Number
||Woollahra, New South Wales, Australia
||15 Mar 2017 |
||Archibald Geikie, b. Abt 1795, Of, Edinburgh, , Midlothian, Scotland , d. Yes, date unknown |
||Isabella Cunningham, b. Abt 1795, Of, Edinburgh, , Midlothian, Scotland , d. Yes, date unknown |
||9 Jun 1817
||Saint Cuthberts, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland
||Elizabeth Murdock, b. 1829, Glasgow, , Lanark, Scotland , d. Yes, date unknown |
||10 Nov 1858
||Orillia, Simcoe Co., Ontario [1, 4]
- St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church
Presbyterian meetings were held in private homes beginning in 1854. A petition to form a congregation was granted soon after by Hamilton Presbytery with the result that St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church, with 20 charter members, was organized on January 23, 1855. The first service was conducted in a schoolhouse on Frederick Street across from the Market Square by Rev. W. Pirie of the Doon Presbyterian Church. At that time the congregation was united with Winterbourne, an arrangement which ended in 1857.
The congregation decided in 1856 to build a church. The first church building was erected accordingly in 1857 at the corner of Queen and Weber Streets while Rev. A. Constable Geikie was minister (1857-1859). Rev. Geikie had been ordained on July 16, 1856 by the Presbytery of Toronto, and was inducted as minister to St. Andrew's on March 5, 1857. Rev. Geikie was followed by Revs. John McMechan (December 15, 1859-May 8, 1866), Thomas Cummings (1866-1867) and Albert J. Traver (1867-1870).
A separate Sunday School building was erected on Weber Street in 1874 and in 1890 an addition was constructed to connect the Sunday School to the church. The old church was removed in 1906 and the cornerstone for the present church, which was to be built on the same site, was laid October 10, 1906. Formal opening of the new church was held on September 8, 1907. Rev. W. A. Bradley (1899-1912) was minister at the time.
When the United Church of Canada was formed on June 10, 1925 from the union of Methodist, Congregational and some Presbyterian congregations, a number of St. Andrew's Church members left to join the United Church, most of them going to Trinity United. One of these was the church's minister, Rev. G. B. McLennan, who became assistant minister at Trinity.
The year 1939 saw the installation of new lights and carpets; the redecorated church was rededicated on September 10, 1939 at the beginning of the Second World War. The congregation celebrated its 100th Anniversary in the Fall of 1954, the same year in which Iona Hall was dedicated - on Friday, April 2nd. An addition to the church which consisted of a new chapel and additional space for the Sunday School was dedicated on September 15, 1969. Services to celebrate the 125th anniversary of the church were held in 1979.1a
1aWaterloo County Churches A Research Guide To Churches Established Before 1900 By Rosemary Ambrose
About the year 1854 an effort was made in connection with a new congregation started in Berlin, largely through the influence of Sheriff Davidson, he had removed there about the year 1843 to obtain a pastor over the two congregations During 1855 and part of 1856 ministers of the Presbytery gave supply, and from October 1856 Rev. A. Constable Geikie preached to the two congregations. A call was prepared for him June 28th, 1857, but the Woolwich people were not satisfied with the arrangements for services, so the union was dissolved and Woolwich stood alone again. Both congregations got up a call for Mr. Geikie, but being invited by the celebrated Dr. Bayne, of GaIt, to be his helper and successor in Knox Church of that town, he accepted and had just removed and got settled there when one Sabbath morning Dr. Bayne died very suddenly, and the congregation of Knox Church, Galt, refused to carry out the arrangements, so Mr. Geikie removed to Australia and became one of the great leaders of the church there and passed away a few years ago. Returning to the other branch of the church, St. Andrew's, Woolwich, we have the Session Records to guide us in tracing the history. On Oct. 17th, 1854, the Presbytery of Hamilton met in the church, composed of Rev. J. C. Gibson (Galt), Rev. Kenneth MacLennan and Rev. Cohn Gregor (Guelph), for the purpose of inducting the Rev. James Shour. The elders present were George Loggie, James Burnett and William Smith, all belonging to St. Andrew's, Woolwich, of whom George Loggie and James Burnett were new members of the Session and had been chosen and ordained during the vacancy. The Rev Mr. Gibson preached from 1 Cor. 3:9 'Ye are gods', and after the usual vows had been accepted by the Rev. Mr. Shour he was addressed by the Rev. Mr. Gregor and the people by Rev. Mr. MacLennan. The Rev. Mr. Shour was a man of short stature and thick set build, kindly and quiet in his manner. He was educated in Glasgow, Scotland, was ordained and inducted into the charge of Three Rivers, Quebec, in 1844 and in 1854 into the charge of St. Andrew's, Woolwich. At his settlement the families connected with the congregation were 40, the communicants 56, scholars in Sabbath school 100, teachers 11 and one bible class. Half the families that supported and attended the services of the church were Episcopalians. The arrangement for services were Sabbath school to be held at ten on Sabbath morning, public service at eleven with occasional evening services, prayer meetings in private houses each week alternately on each side of the Grand River.2a
3aA Few Notes on the Early History of Chalmers' Church, Winterbourne" by Rev. A. M. Hamilton, M. A.
Rev. Archibald Geikie was born in Edinburgh, Scotland and educated in Scotland and came to Canada in 1843 and in 1845 received his first parish at Warwick. Later he moved to Quebec City from there returned to Britain in 1852. in 1854 returned to Canada he travelled in the United States for a year and in 1855 he was called to Knox's Presbyterian Church in Galt to act as an assistant to Rev. John Bayne. Upon Bayne's death in 1859 he remained the church's minister until 1861 when he moved to New South Wales, Australia, he finally passed away in Sydney, Nova Scotia [Bruce Varcoe corrects the death place by pointing out it is Sydney, Australia] in 1898.1a
1aCambridge Mosaic , Jim Quantrell, 1998, City of Cambridge [abbreviated snippet from original text in book]
- [S126] Vit - ON, Simcoe - Simcoe County Marriage Register 1858 -1869.
Archibald Constable Geikie Born: Scotland Res: Berlin Age: 37 Born: abt 1821 Father: Archibald Mother: Isabella Cunningham Spouse: Elizabeth Murdock Age: 28 Born: abt 1830 born: Glasgow Scotland Res: Orillia Father: William Mother: Elizabeth Guay Ferguson married 10 Nov 1858 county: Simcoe
- [S27] International Genealogical Index - Extracted Church Records, 1066757 Parish registers for St. Cuthbert's Church, Edinburgh, 1573-1855.
- [S1838] Census - ON, Waterloo, Galt - 1861, Galt 1861 Div. 3 Page 36.
- [S14] News - ON, Waterloo, Kitchener - Berlin Chronicle (1856-1860), 16 Nov 1858.
At the Manse of Orilla, on the 10th inst., by the Rev. J. Gray, the Rev. A. C. Geikie, of Berlin, County of Waterloo, to Elizabeth, daughter of the late Mr. W. Murdock, of Glasgow, Scotland.
|Birth - 22 Jul 1821 - Edinburgh, , Midlothian, Scotland
|Residence - 1858 - Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario
|Married - 10 Nov 1858 - Orillia, Simcoe Co., Ontario
|Occupation - Minister - 1861 - Galt (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario
|Religion - Free Church - 1861 - Galt (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario
|Died - 1898 - Woollahra, New South Wales, Australia