Waterloo Region Generations
A record of the people of Waterloo Region, Ontario.
Search

St. James Evangelical Lutheran Church St. Jacobs
1864 - 2011


HomeHome    SearchSearch    PrintPrint    Add BookmarkAdd Bookmark

Personal Information    |    Media    |    Notes    |    Event Map    |    All    |    PDF

  • Birth  congregation begun 1864  1407 King St. N., St. Jacobs, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender  Unknown 
    Church  21 May 1866  St. James Evangelical Lutheran Church - St. Jacobs, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    construction 1st church 
    Church  1961  St. James Evangelical Lutheran Church - St. Jacobs, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    construction of 2nd church 
    Died  still exists 2011 
    Person ID  I724  Properties
    Last Modified  3 Sep 2011 

  • Photos
    St. Jacob's Evangelical Lutheran Church
    St. Jacob's Evangelical Lutheran Church
    sepia-toned photographic print mounted on black card. It is a picture of a small church with wooden steeple and a stone and white picket fence around it and two large poplar trees on either side. Handwritten across the bottom is: St. James Lutheran/ St. Jacobs, Ont. Handwritten on the back is: J. H. Thoms/ St. James Luth./ Church/ St Jacobs Ont/ Elfrieda Schlitt/ Built 1866/ torn down & rebuilt/ same site 1961-62. In possesion of Doon Heritage Crossroads

  • Notes 
    • St. James Evangelical Lutheran Church

      Begun: 1864

      The congregation was organized in 1864, and met in the schoolhouse, which is located behind the present church. The cornerstone for a new church was laid on May 21, 1866 and the brick church which was built adjoining the school, was dedicated on August 22, 1866. Land was purchased for a cemetery in 1868. Rev. Daniel Stahlschmidt was the first pastor. The congregation had become part of the Elmira Parish as of December 1865 and this association remained until 1905 when the congregation was joined with Conestogo. Rev. A.R. Schultz of St. James, Elmira had been pastor to the St. Jacobs congregation from 1879 until this time. A parish hall was built in 1905 and in 1918 the church was enlarged - a tower and main entrance were built.

      Land was purchased in 1956 on the north side of the church and on August 13, 1961 the ground breaking service for a new church was held. Construction began immediately and the final service was held in the old church on November 18, 1961. Dedication services for the new church were held on May 27, 1962. The congregation celebrated the church's 125th Anniversary on September 8, 1991.

      Records:
      Baptism dates: 1866- Location of records: at church
      Marriage dates: 1866- Location of records: at church
      Burial dates: 1866-* Location of records: at church

      *A list of Deaths from September 14, 1868 to April 6, 1991, according to the church records, is included in a pamphlet published for the Church's Memorial Service on July 7, 1991. A copy of the pamphlet is in the Grace Schmidt Local History Room of the Kitchener Public Library.

      [ADDRESS/LOCATION: King St, St. Jacobs, ON N0B 2N0; 664-2511.]
      References: Bowman, WHS 1945(33):19; Cronmiller 1961:165; Devitt, WHS 1947(35):44; Eylands 1945:119-121; St. Jacobs W.I.; R. Taylor 1986; WHS 1966(54):35.
      Church History: Centennial of St. James Evangelical Lutheran Church, St. Jacobs, Ontario 1866-1966, 1966.1a

      1aAmbrose, Rosemary. Waterloo County Churches A Research Guide to Churches Established Before 1900. Kitchener, Ontario, Canada: Waterloo-Wellington Branch, Ontario Genealogical Society, 1993. [used the kind permission of Rosemary Ambrose 2011]

  • Event Map
    Event
    Link to Google MapsBirth - congregation begun 1864 - 1407 King St. N., St. Jacobs, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsChurch - construction 1st church - 21 May 1866 - St. James Evangelical Lutheran Church - St. Jacobs, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsChurch - construction of 2nd church - 1961 - St. James Evangelical Lutheran Church - St. Jacobs, Ontario Link to Google Earth
     = Link to Google Maps 
     = Link to Google Earth