Waterloo Region Generations
A record of the people of Waterloo Region, Ontario.
Search

Malabar Dr. 0438 (House, red brick, 2 storey, Georgian) Designated Waterloo
1842 - 2011


HomeHome    SearchSearch    PrintPrint    Add BookmarkAdd Bookmark

Personal Information    |    Notes    |    Sources    |    Event Map    |    All    |    PDF

  • Nickname 
    Birth  constructed 1842  438 Malabar Dr., Waterloo, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender  Unknown 
    Designated Historical Building  Bef 2011  438 Malabar Dr., Waterloo, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Parcel Information  438 Malabar Dr., Waterloo, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location  [1
    • Address 438 MALABAR DR,
      CITY OF WATERLOO Property Code Category RESIDENTIAL Survey Description TRACT GERMAN COMPANY PT LOT 62 PLAN 58M28 PT BLKS 19 &20 RP58R10904 PTS 1,2,3,4,9 & 10 Acres 0.79 Roll Number 301601231002000 Teranet PIN 227070720
    Died  standing 2011 
    Person ID  I806  Buildings and Organizations
    Last Modified  27 May 2012 

  • Notes 
    • The Wissler-Cascaden house, a two-storey red brick Georgian home was built in 1842 by John Wissler, a Waterloo Township pioneer who arrived from Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, in 1834. One year after his arrival Wissler established the Eagle Tannery. A shoemaking, harness making and mercantile business soon sprang up in conjunction with the tannery. This industry, including the workers homes on nearby Bridge Street, formed the nucleus of the settlement of Lexington.

      Wissler spared no expense in the construction of his home, elaborate window and door surrounds were included along with a plaster cornice in the drawing room. The most striking feature of the interior, however, is the two-storey front entrance hall which rises a full twenty feet to a magnificent plaster medallion on the ceiling. Access is gained through two arches which rest on moulded plaster shells and frame a cherry stairway which climbs to the attic level.

      A number of additions have been made to the home. The first, a two-storey addition to the west side was completed around 1858. The second, which contained a bake oven, schnitz oven, ash oven and smoke house, was added behind the first between 1859 and 1875. The last addition, this time on the south side, provided a one and a half storey salt box kitchen which was designated to serve as the doddy wing at the turn of the century.

      The property was sold to Samuel Weber in 1873. It remained in the Weber and Shantz families for over one hundred years until the late 1970s when it was converted into apartments and fell into disrepair. The present owners, Ron and Wendy Cascaden, have made a commitment to restoring the house.

      All of the exterior elevations of the Wissler-Cascaden House and the front hill are deemed to be of both architectural and historical significance.1a

      1aDesignated Properties www. waterloo.ca

  • Sources 
    1. [S15] GIS - Region of Waterloo Locator GIS Locator.

  • Event Map
    Event
    Link to Google MapsBirth - constructed 1842 - 438 Malabar Dr., Waterloo, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsDesignated Historical Building - Bef 2011 - 438 Malabar Dr., Waterloo, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsParcel Information - - 438 Malabar Dr., Waterloo, Ontario Link to Google Earth
     = Link to Google Maps 
     = Link to Google Earth