Waterloo Region Generations
A record of the people of Waterloo Region, Ontario.
Search

Rev. William A. Bradley
Male 1860 - Yes, date unknown


HomeHome    SearchSearch    PrintPrint    Add BookmarkAdd Bookmark

Personal Information    |    Notes    |    Sources    |    Event Map    |    All    |    PDF

  • Prefix  Rev. 
    Birth  2 Mar 1860  , Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location  [1, 2
    Gender  Male 
    Occupation  1901  Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location  [3
    Clergyman (Minister) 
    Public Service  1906  Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Berlin Public Library Board 
    From: Berlin Today 1806-1906
    From: Berlin Today 1806-1906
    Name  W. A. Bradley 
    Occupation  1911  Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location  [2
    Minister, Presbyterian 
    Religion  1911  Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location  [2
    Presbyterian 
    Occupation  15 Feb 1912  Teeswater, Bruce Co., Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    minister 
    • The Rev. William A. Bradley, B.A. '88 (U.), who has recently been transferred from Berlin Presbyterian Church to Teeswater, was inducted into the latter charge on Feb. 15, 1912.1a

      1aThe University Monthly Vol XII 1911-1912 University Press, Toronto, Ontario
    Eby ID Number  Waterloo-95542 
    Died  Yes, date unknown 
    Person ID  I95542  Generations
    Last Modified  30 Apr 2017 

    Family 1  Ada Marie Rogers,   b. 29 Jul 1866, , Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown 
    Children 
     1. Alice T. Bradley,   b. 13 Mar 1890, , , USA Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown
     2. Mildred R. Bradley,   b. 2 Sep 1896, , Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown
     3. Florence V. Bradley,   b. 24 Feb 1900, , Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown
    Family ID  F24610  Group Sheet

    Family 2  Margaret,   b. Jul 1862, , Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown 
    Children 
     1. Alice T. Bradley,   b. Mar 1892, , , USA Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown
     2. Mildred R. Bradley,   b. Sep 1896, , Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown
     3. Florence C? Bradley,   b. Feb 1900, , Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown
    Family ID  F184607  Group Sheet

  • Notes 
    • St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church

      Presbyterian meetings were held in private homes beginning in 1854. A petition to form a congregation was granted soon after by Hamilton Presbytery with the result that St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church, with 20 charter members, was organized on January 23, 1855. The first service was conducted in a schoolhouse on Frederick Street across from the Market Square by Rev. W. Pirie of the Doon Presbyterian Church. At that time the congregation was united with Winterbourne, an arrangement which ended in 1857.

      The congregation decided in 1856 to build a church. The first church building was erected accordingly in 1857 at the corner of Queen and Weber Streets while Rev. A. Constable Geikie was minister (1857-1859). Rev. Geikie had been ordained on July 16, 1856 by the Presbytery of Toronto, and was inducted as minister to St. Andrew's on March 5, 1857. Rev. Geikie was followed by Revs. John McMechan (December 15, 1859-May 8, 1866), Thomas Cummings (1866-1867) and Albert J. Traver (1867-1870).

      A separate Sunday School building was erected on Weber Street in 1874 and in 1890 an addition was constructed to connect the Sunday School to the church. The old church was removed in 1906 and the cornerstone for the present church, which was to be built on the same site, was laid October 10, 1906. Formal opening of the new church was held on September 8, 1907. Rev. W.A. Bradley (1899-1912) was minister at the time.

      When the United Church of Canada was formed on June 10, 1925 from the union of Methodist, Congregational and some Presbyterian congregations, a number of St. Andrew's Church members left to join the United Church, most of them going to Trinity United. One of these was the church's minister, Rev. G.B. McLennan, who became assistant minister at Trinity.

      The year 1939 saw the installation of new lights and carpets; the redecorated church was rededicated on September 10, 1939 at the beginning of the Second World War. The congregation celebrated its 100th Anniversary in the Fall of 1954, the same year in which Iona Hall was dedicated - on Friday, April 2nd. An addition to the church which consisted of a new chapel and additional space for the Sunday School was dedicated on September 15, 1969. Services to celetrate the 125th anniversary of the church were held in 1979.1a

      1aWaterloo County Churches A Research Guide To Churches Established Before 1900 By Rosemary Ambrose

  • Sources 
    1. [S137] Census - ON, Waterloo, Berlin - 1901, A-2 pg 2.

    2. [S340] Census - ON, Waterloo, Berlin - 1911, Div. 34 Page 3.

    3. [S137] Census - ON, Waterloo, Berlin - 1901, a-2 pg 2.

  • Event Map
    Event
    Link to Google MapsBirth - 2 Mar 1860 - , Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsOccupation - Clergyman (Minister) - 1901 - Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsPublic Service - Berlin Public Library Board - 1906 - Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsOccupation - Minister, Presbyterian - 1911 - Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsReligion - Presbyterian - 1911 - Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsOccupation - minister - 15 Feb 1912 - Teeswater, Bruce Co., Ontario Link to Google Earth
     = Link to Google Maps 
     = Link to Google Earth