1881 - 1934 (53 years)
||Arthur Allan Ullyot |
||24 Jan 1881
||Elmira, Woolwich Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada [1, 2, 3, 4, 5]
||Elmira, Woolwich Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada 
||Trenton, Hastings Co., Ontario 
||Elmira, Woolwich Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada 
||7 Arthur Street N., Elmira, Ontario 
- Arthur Ullyott and his wife Alice at the opening of Ullyott's Drug Store 1922. This Section became the chapel of Dreisinger's Funeral Home in 1940.
||Opening of Ullyot's Drug Store in 1921
|Eby ID Number
||27 Nov 1934
||Elmira, Woolwich Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada [2, 3, 6, 7, 8]
|Cause: mycocardial failure (6 days) & cerebral Hemorhage (11 days) |
||Elmira Union Cemetery, Elmira, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada 
||6 Oct 2020 |
||Dr. Henry Ullyot, b. 25 Mar 1844, Skipsea, , Yorkshire, England , d. 11 Jan 1905, Elmira, Woolwich Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada (Age 60 years) |
||Catherine Miller Kay, b. 26 Oct 1845, , Lanark Co, Ontario , d. 1 Jul 1891, Elmira, Woolwich Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada (Age 45 years) |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
||Alice Letitia Crowe, b. 1886, Trenton, Hastings Co., Ontario , d. 1957, Elmira, Woolwich Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada (Age 71 years) |
| ||1. Arthur Ullyot, b. 15 Apr 1917, Toronto, York Co., Ontario, Canada , d. 17 Apr 1917, Toronto, York Co., Ontario, Canada (Age 0 years)|
||7 Oct 2020 |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
- Don Cale Retires
Drug store's 54-year history comes to end
by Shirley Crane
The closing of Cale's Rexall Drugs this past weekend marked another milestone on Arthur Street for the business had been established fifty-four years ago and progressed through many changes. The original owner of the store was Arthur A. Ullyot, son of a former Elmira physician, Henry Ullyot. Arthur graduated as a pharmacist in 1903 from the University of Toronto. He served his apprenticeship with George Bingham, a Toronto pharmacist whose store stood at 100 Yonge street. Bingham's store had the original soda fountain and ice cream business. Young Arthur Ullyot made soda and became very knowledgeable about soda fountains. He began to sell soda fountains for J. J. McLaughlin who became the head of Canada Dry (J. J. McLaughlin was a brother to Sam who founded the McLaughlin automotive business in Oshawa.) Arthur Ullyot was later involved in several businesses in Elmira, Trenton, Toronto and other locations, before he decided to return to Elmira in 1921 and resume his profession of pharmacy. A year earlier he had purchased the original fixtures from Bingham's drug store, and it was Don Cale who cleaned off these fixtures and polished the beautiful mahogany. Don's mother, Lily May, was a sister to Arthur Ullyott. She had married and was living in British Columbia when she died in 1922. Don came to live with his aunt and uncle in Elmira. He went to school here, worked in his uncle's store and graduated as a pharmacist from the University of Toronto in 1932. His apprenticeship had been served with his uncle, and he also spent a year with Liggett's in Toronto. Don worked for ten dollars a week and board, until his uncle died in 1934. He and his aunt then ran the business as a partnership. In 1950 he bought out his aunt. Several years later the decision was made to change the name of the business to Cale's. It was shortly after that his aunt died. The original store had been located where Dreisinger's funeral chapel now stands. [In 2010, Shoppers Drug Mart is at the location: 7/9 Arthur Street North.] The front of that store was moved and is now the front of the Elmira Music Centre on Church street east. The business was moved to its present location in 1940. [In 2010, approximately 27 Arthur Street South: Read's Decorating Centre.] For many years the drug store was also the only stationery store in town. Don handled text books, note books, refills, inks, and all kinds of writing papers. That part of the business was given up when a stationery and book store was established in town, but Don never got around to removing the word "stationery" from the store's sign and logo. In 1937, Don married Kathryn Hamacher of Waterloo. They had three children, Julia, now Mrs. Robert Morton of North Bay, Gordon of Chetwynd, B.C. and Thomas, of Douglas Point. Don has a grandson and two granddaughters, Julia's children. Don had been giving considerable thought to retirement, but a serious illness last month made the decision promptly for him. The huge desk where Don wrote up drug store business for so many years has been moved to the hall in his large old home on Arthur street south. He needs it there for there are still some details to be finished after closing his business. The prescription files have been sold to Cook's Pharmacy who also bought those lovely, antique mahogany fixtures.
Elmira Independent, Feb. 26, 1975
ARTHUR A. ULLYOT
Death claimed a prominent Elmira resident early this morning in the person of Arthur A Ullyot local druggist Mr Ullyot suffered stroke about a week ago which hastened his end. He was son of the late Dr. and Mrs. Henry Ullyot and was born in Elmira 63 years ago. He lived for time in Trenton and Toronto before returning to Elmira 13 years ago. The deceased was past president of the Toronto Druggists' Golf Association and chairman of the local high school board. He always took a keen interest in civic affairs as shown by the fact that he was at one time head of the board of trade and was a former president of the Elmira Horticultural Society. He also served on the public school board for a number of years. He was past master of the Elmira Masonic Lodge. The late Mr. Ullyot is survived by him wife and one sister. Mrs. Alba Cavannagh, of California. The remains will be at Dreisinger's funeral chapel until Wednesday evening. The funeral will be held Thursday afternoon at 2.20 o'clock from his late residence on Arthur street. Burial will take place in the Elmira cemetery.
Elmira Signet 28 Nov 1934
No Ghosts: History of the Wachsmuth Block / Dreisinger Building,
7 Arthur Street North, Elmira
by Marion Roes
Published in the Waterloo Historical Society Volume 91 - 2003, pp. 20-29 .
Excerpts printed with permission from the author.
The building was sold and demolished early in 2008. Shoppers Drug Mart built a new store on the corner which opened in October 2008.
William Wachsmuth was an early Elmira entrepreneur. He arrived in 1860, built a small frame building on the corner of Church and Arthur Streets, opened a shoe shop, then added a grocery. Some years later, he was able to build a large, square, two-storey yellow brick "block" with a warehouse on the back.
Divided into three sections, the Wachsmuth block housed many businesses before 1906 when Christian Dreisinger moved his undertaking business into the center section of the building. Some of those businesses were: Wachsmuth Printing, the Traders Bank, Miss Edmund's millinery shop, Weichel Hardware, City Shoe Store (owned appropriately by Mr. Schumaker), Massey Harris Co. Of Toronto, Ford and Liesemer Farm Implements, Otto Wachsmuth's boot and shoe business (which advertised McPherson's Lightening Hitch Hockey Shoe).
Dreisinger added retail furniture later in 1906 and by 1912 more space was needed. The warehouse came down and a large two-storey addition with a second entrance on Church Street went up. So that furniture could be moved to and from the new display area on the second floor, a manual pulley elevator was installed.
When Pentland's Millinery's lease ended in 1921, C. Dreisinger Furniture and Undertaking expanded into that north section and combined the two entrances into one. The local newspaper noted that the upstairs, previously set apart for furniture, would be the casket department of the undertaking business. In the same year the Royal Bank, which had merged with the Traders Bank in 1912, moved across the street.
Arthur Ullyot, druggist from Toronto leased the corner section and changed the windows and entrance. Freddie Miller, owner of the electrical business across the street on Church Street, installed a motor for the manual elevator.
Funeral practises were changing. During the early 1930s people started asking for funerals to be carried out at parlors instead of in their homes. No longer was the deceased's body prepared at home, or visitations held there. Except for wintertime, cars had replaced horse-drawn hearses. A 1937 fire map shows a garage added to the rear of the building with room for hearses and cars for two complete funerals.
Then, in 1940, Ullyot's Rexall Drug Store moved down the street and that corner section became a funeral chapel, reportedly the first in the district. Renovations to the rest of the building included a properly appointed morgue, visitation rooms and casket showroom. In the basement were a radio repair shop and the building's air conditioning and automatic heating systems.
Another use for the elevator shaft was drying the 12 x 15 foot tent which sheltered mourners at graveside services. After a rain it was a struggle, standing on the main floor to push the heavy wet canvas with a pole to the second floor so the rings on the top hooked onto the top of the elevator shaft. It took at least 36 hours for the tent to dry, hanging three stories through the open top of the elevator stationed in the basement.
In 1977 the furniture and funeral businesses were separated. Dreisinger Funeral Home moved to 62 Arthur Street South and with it went the pews, stained glass windows and the Hammond electric organ. Furniture displays expanded to new space opened when visitation and preparation rooms were removed.
"Are there ghosts?" people often asked. Ghost stories are usually about how a person dies. People had already died when they were brought here. So no, no ghosts!
Information for the article was taken from personal records, newspapers and local history books. They are listed in the Waterloo Historical Society Volume 91 - 2003 which is available in libraries.
- [S130] Census - ON, Waterloo, Woolwich - 1881, Div. 2 Page 70.
- [S98] Cemetery - ON, Waterloo, Woolwich - Elmira Union CC#4578 Internet Link.
Arthur A. Ullyot/ 1881 - 1934/ At Rest.
- [S713] Vit - ON - Death Registration, death certificate 33608 (1934), Arthurh A. Allyot, accessed 4 Jul 2010.
Arthur A. Ullyot, b. 24 Jan 1881 Elmira, d. 27 Nov 1934 Elmira, druggist, s/o Henry Ullyot (b. Ontario) & Catarine Mary Kay (b. Ontario) cause: mycocardial failure (6 days) & cerebral Hemorhage (11 days)
- [S721] Vit - ON - Marriage Registration, marriage certificate 9847 (1912), Ullyot-Crowe.
Arthur Alare Ulloyt, 31, residence, Trenton, b. Elmira, s/o Henry Ullyot (medical doctor) & Catherin Mullin? Kay married Alice Letitia Crowe, 24, b. Trendton, residence Trenton, d/o George Crowe (contractor) & Jane Ann Hagerman. 17 Jun 1912 Trenton
- [S2057] Census - ON, Waterloo, Elmira - 1891, Pg. 15.
- [S992] News - ON, Waterloo, Elmira - Elmira Independent, Don Cale Retires- Drug store's 54-year history comes to end - Feb. 26, 1975.
- [S978] Funeral Home Records - ON, Waterloo, Elmira - Dreisinger.
- [S77] News - ON, Waterloo, Elmira - Elmira Signet (1893-1982), Obituary of Arthur Ullyot - 28 Nov 1934.
|Born - 24 Jan 1881 - Elmira, Woolwich Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada
|Residence - Methodist - 1891 - Elmira, Woolwich Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada
|Residence - 1912 - Trenton, Hastings Co., Ontario
|Occupation - pharmacist - 1921 - Elmira, Woolwich Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada
|Historic Building - 1922 - 7 Arthur Street N., Elmira, Ontario
|Died - Cause: mycocardial failure (6 days) & cerebral Hemorhage (11 days) - 27 Nov 1934 - Elmira, Woolwich Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada
|Buried - - Elmira Union Cemetery, Elmira, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada