1871 - 1953 (82 years)
||Sarah Jane Abbey |
||12 Mar 1871
||Sebringville, Ellice Twp., Perth Co., Ontario, Canada [1, 2, 3]
||Sarah Jane Bain |
||Ayr, North Dumfries Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada 
|Eby ID Number
||10 May 1953
||Ayr, North Dumfries Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada [3, 4]
|Cause: Cause: Heart Attack |
||13 May 1953
||Ayr Cemetery, Ayr, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada [3, 4]
||26 Nov 2023 |
||William Roadhouse Bain, b. 19 Apr 1870, Caledonia, Seneca Twp., Haldimand Co., Ontario , d. 5 Feb 1954, Ayr, North Dumfries Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada (Age 83 years) |
||18 Apr 1894
||Guelph City, Wellington Co., Ontario, Canada 
| ||1. Alexander Bain, b. Mar 1895, , Ontario, Canada , d. Yes, date unknown|
| ||2. Charles Abbey Bain, b. 13 Feb 1897, Glanford Township, Wentworth Co., Ontario, Canada , d. 21 Feb 1962, Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada (Age 65 years)|
| ||3. Mary Elizabeth "Minnie" Bain, b. 27 Jan 1900, , Haldimand Co., Ontario, Canada , d. 8 Feb 1984, Burlington, Halton Co., Ontario, Canada (Age 84 years)|
| ||4. William Bain, b. Jul 1904, , Ontario, Canada , d. Yes, date unknown|
| ||5. Robert Bain, b. Feb 1907, , Ontario, Canada , d. Yes, date unknown|
||26 Nov 2023 |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
- AYR - Mrs. William Bain, 82, died suddenly at her home here last night. The former Sarah Jane Abbey, she was a daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. John Abbey and was born at Sebringville, March 17, 1871. She was a member of Knox United Church, the women's Association and the local hospital. She was a charter member of the Women's Institute. Her marriage to William Bain, who survives, took place at Guelph 59 years ago. Surviving besides her husband are three sons, Charles, Ayr; William, Wingham; Rupert, Toronto; one daughter, Mrs. C.B. (Minnie) Farnham, Hamilton; two brothers, Edward, Detroit, and William, Reston, Man. Also surviving are 10 grandchildren. One son died in 1962. The body is resting at Hall's Funeral Home, Ayr, where the funeral service will be held Wednesday at 2: 30 p.m. Interment will be made in the Ayr cemetery
Kitchener-Waterloo Record - 11 May 1953
Mrs. William R. Bain Passes in 83rd Year
The community was shocked on Sunday evening by the sudden death of one of its oldest and most respected citizens, Mrs. William R. Bain, in her 83rd year. Mrs. Bain had been in good health and spirits until Saturday morning, when she suffered a heart attack, from which she failed to recover.
Born in Sebringville
The former Sarah Jane Abbey, she was born at Sebringville March 12, 1871, a daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. John Abbey. Her father moved to Ayr in later years and, upon his death, was the village's oldest resident, having attained an age only a few years shy of the century mark.
Celebrated 59th Wedding Anniversary
The late Mrs. Bain was married at Guelph on April 18, 1894, and lived with her husband on a farm near Caledonia until removing to Ayr 51 years ago, where Mr. Bain was employed at Goldie's mill.
For many years, since Mr. and Mrs. Bain passed the half century mark in married life, the celebration of successive wedding anniversaries has been an annual family high-light. On these occasions the four sons and daughter gathered to pay tribute to their parents at a family supper and presentation. The anniversary this year, their 59th, was observed in a quiet manner out of respect for their late son, Alex, who passed away July 3, 1952 -- the first break in the family over this lengthy period.
Charter Member of Women's institute
Mrs. Bain was a valued member of Knox United Church and a past president of the Women's Association of the church. Her interests were always directed toward civic welfare and improvement, and in this respect she found time to be actively associated with the Ayr Women's Hospital Aid Association and the Women's Institute. As a charter member of the Institute, she was in attendance at the District Women's Institute celebration in New Hamburg two weeks ago.
Surviving, besides her husband, are three sons and a daughter, Charles, Ayr; Mrs. C. B. Farnham (Minnie), Hamilton; William, Wingham, and Robert, Toronto; two brothers, Edward Abbey of Detroit, Mich., and William. Abbey of Reston, Man., and a sister, Mrs. M. A. Gerry of Brandon, Man. Ten grandchildren also survive,
The funeral was held from the Knox United Church, Ayr, this (Wednesday) afternoon at 2.30, with interment in Ayr Cemetery.
The Ayr News May 14 1953 pg 15
- [S1282] Census - ON, Waterloo, Ayr - 1911, p 14.
- [S57] Vit - ON - Birth Registration.
Name: Sarah Jane Abbey Date of Birth: 12 Mar 1871 Gender: Female Birth Place: Perth, Ontario, Canada Father's name: John Abbey Mother's name: Mary Worth
- [S74] News - ON, Waterloo, Kitchener - Kitchener-Waterloo Record (1948-1994), Obituary of Mrs. William Bain - 11 May 1953.
- [S367] Cemetery - ON, Waterloo, Ayr - Ayr Public CC#4489 Internet Link .
Bain/ In Loving memory of/ William R. Bain/ Apr. 19, 1870 - Feb. 5, 1954/ his wife/ Sarah J. Abbey/ Mar. 12, 1871 - May 10, 1953/ Farnham/ Claude B. Farnham/ May 16, 1902 - Dec. 4, 1960/ his wife/ Mary E. Bain/ Jan. 27, 1900 - Feb. 8, 1984/ + [veteran's poppy]
- [S4] Vit - ON - Marriage Registration.
Name: William Roadhouse Bain Marriage Date: 18 Apr 1894 Marriage Location: Guelph Spouse: Sarah jane Abbey Registration Number: 37607
|Born - 12 Mar 1871 - Sebringville, Ellice Twp., Perth Co., Ontario, Canada
|Married - 18 Apr 1894 - Guelph City, Wellington Co., Ontario, Canada
|Residence - Presbyterian - 1911 - AYR, North Dumfries Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada
|Died - Cause: Cause: Heart Attack - 10 May 1953 - AYR, North Dumfries Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada
|Buried - 13 May 1953 - Ayr Cemetery, Ayr, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada