1888 - still standing
||George St. 0015 (church) See St. Paul's Presbyterian Waterloo |
||15 George St., Waterloo, Ontario
||St. Paul's Presbyterian -15 George St., Waterloo Waterloo |
||Waterloo-Kitchener United Mennonite Church Waterloo |
||27 May 2012 |
|Born - constructed 1888 - 15 George St., Waterloo, Ontario
- St. Paul's Presbyterian Church
Begun: 1887 Closed: 1925 (refer to Knox Presbyterian)
Early Presbyterian services, which began in 1864, were held in the United Brethren in Christ Church on King Street South in Waterloo. A group of Waterloo residents attending St. Andrew's in Kitchener requested permission from Presbytery in 1887 to form their own church. Permission was granted and a congregation was formed on January 31, 1888. A site on George Street on which to build the new church was chosen on February 23, 1888; the cost of the property was $600. The cornerstone was laid on June 11, 1888 and dedication services were held in the new church on November 29th of the same year. Rev. Dr. William Gregg of Knox College preached at the morning service when the first church service was held on Sunday, December 2, 1888. However, it was not until the next year when Rev. A.E. Mitchell arrived as minister that St. Paul's was considered a new congregation separate from St. Andrew's. Rev. Mitchell, who had been licensed on May 21, 1889, was ordained minister on July 3, 1889. He left Waterloo in 1892 and was followed by Revs. Samuel Carruthers (1892-1893) and John McNair (1893-1900).
When the United Church of Canada was formed on June 10, 1925 of a union of Methodist, Congregational and some Presbyterian congregations, the majority of the St. Paul's congregation (106-99) voted for union with the United Church. That majority joined with the St. James Methodist congregation to form First United Church. Those members not wishing to become part of the United Church of Canada met in the Town Hall and then in Letter's Hall until their own church, Knox Presbyterian, was built on Erb Street West in 1927. After Union the Russian Mennonite congregation, whose members had arrived in Waterloo in 1924 from the Ukraine, arranged to buy the former St. Paul's Presbyterian Church. In 1992 it was the place of worship of the Waterloo-Kitchener United Mennonite Church.
Baptism dates: 1888-1899 Location of records: Presbyterian Church Archives
Marriage dates: 1896-1899 Location of records: Presbyterian Church Archives
Burial dates: unknown Location of records: unknown
Minutes of Kirk Sessions, 1881-1921, are at the United Church Archives, and the Communion rolls 1888-1899 are at the Presbyterian Church Archives. All records mentioned above, including the Communion Rolls, are at the Archives of Ontario as well. Records before 1887 may be included with those of St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church, Kitchener, and those after 1899 may be at First United Church, Waterloo. See Waterloo-Wellington Branch Notes (V.5, No. 1) for Marriages 1908-1928 and Burials 1907-1918. Baptisms 1888-1905, Marriages 1896-1899, and the Communion Roll 1888-1901 are on The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints microfilm 0204158.
[ADDRESS/LOCATION: 15 George St., Waterloo, ON]
References: Presbyterian Church; Rennie 1979; R. Taylor 1986; Wells, WHS 1928(16):38.
Church History: Hemphill, John A. and A. David White. The Presbyterian Church, Waterloo, Ontario. 1888-1974. St. Paul's-Knox, 1974.1a
1aAmbrose, Rosemary. Waterloo County Churches A Research Guide to Churches Established Before 1900. Kitchener, Ontario, Canada: Waterloo-Wellington Branch, Ontario Genealogical Society, 1993. [used the kind permission of Rosemary Ambrose 2011]
Past Doors Open Waterloo Region Sites