|1. ||Jacob Hobson was born 1820, , Armagh Co., Ireland; died 8 Feb 1887, Galt (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada. |
- Business: Belfast, Antrim, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom; tea business
- Interesting: story
- Residence: Dublin, Dublin, Leinster, Ireland
- Eby ID Number: Waterloo-104137
- Immigration: 1854, , Canada
- Occupation: 1871, Galt (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada; Accountant
- Residence: 1871, Galt (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada; Protestant
- Occupation: 1881, Galt (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada; Book Keeper
Death of a Well-Known Resident
We are called upon this week to record the death of a well-known resident in the person of Mr. Jacob Hobson, who passed away on Tuesday morning in the 67th year of his age. Mr. Hobson had been ailing, but not seriously, for some time, and it was only within the last week that his illness assumed a serious aspect.
The deceased was born in County Armagh, Ireland, in the year 1820. He spent the early years of this life in the City of Dublin, serving his time in one of the largest tea and wine merchants' houses in that city. He afterwards established, in conjunction with an elder brother, a large tea business in the city of Belfast; but believing which many others, that America afforded a better opportunity for rising in the world that did old Ireland, Mr. Hobson "came out" in 1854, and has lived in Galt and vicinity - excepting a short stay in Coboarg - ever since. Although not occupying a prominent position in this locality. Mr. Hobson was respected as a quiet, inoffensive man, wonderfully well read, and gifted with a memory which enabled him to always have a command the information he had gleaned from his favorite authors. But somehow or other he fell behind in the race of life; and we do not do our old friend an injustice when we say that is was only his intimate friends who knew the depth of his reading or the wide range of his information.
Mr. Hobson's funeral took place yesterday afternoon, the remains being interred in Mount View Cemetery. He leaves behind him a widow and large family, as also, a brother (Benjamin) and a sister living, we believe, in Toronto.
Galt Reporter Feb 11 1887 pg 1
Jacob — Sarah. Sarah was born 6 Jul 1833, , Ireland; died Yes, date unknown. [Group Sheet]
- Jane Hobson was born 1860, , Ontario, Canada; died Yes, date unknown.
- Isaac Hobson was born 1863, Galt (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada; died 5 Feb 1898, Galt (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada; was buried , Mount View Cemetery, Cambridge, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada.