Waterloo Region Generations
A record of the people of Waterloo Region, Ontario.

Rev. Jacob Werth

Male Cal 1812 - 1890  (~ 78 years)


Personal Information    |    Notes    |    Sources    |    Event Map    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name Jacob Werth 
    Prefix Rev. 
    Born CALC 20 Jan 1812  [1
    Gender Male 
    Birth 19 Mar 1812  , Germany Find all individuals with events at this location  [1, 2, 3, 4
    Occupation 1871  Woolwich Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [3
    Farmer 
    Religion 1871  Woolwich Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [3
    Lutheran 
    Occupation 1881  Woolwich Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [2
    Farmer 
    Eby ID Number Waterloo-118392 
    Died 12 Mar 1890  Near St. Jacobs, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [1, 4, 5
    Buried St. James Lutheran Cemetery, Elmira, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [4
    Person ID I118392  Generations
    Last Modified 16 Jul 2019 

    Family Philipina "Phoebe" Schmidt,   b. 14 Mar 1829, Spesbach, Baiern, Germany Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 1 Jul 1916, Saginaw, Saginaw, Michigan, USA Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 87 years) 
    Children 
     1. Jacob Werth,   b. 1853, , Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown
     2. Charles Werth,   b. 1854, , Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown
     3. Henrietta Werth,   b. 1857, , Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown
     4. Matilda Werth,   b. 1858, , Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown
     5. Edward Werth,   b. 25 Aug 1860, St. Jacobs, Woolwich Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown
     6. Bertha Werth,   b. 1862, Woolwich Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown
     7. Julia Werth,   b. 1865, Woolwich Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown
     8. Laura Werth,   b. 1867, Woolwich Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown
     9. Susannah Werth,   b. 1867, Woolwich Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown
     10. Emma Werth,   b. Jun 1870, Woolwich Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown
    Last Modified 17 Jul 2019 
    Family ID F229429  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Event Map
    Link to Google MapsBirth - 19 Mar 1812 - , Germany Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsOccupation - Farmer - 1871 - Woolwich Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsReligion - Lutheran - 1871 - Woolwich Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsOccupation - Farmer - 1881 - Woolwich Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsDied - 12 Mar 1890 - Near St. Jacobs, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsBuried - - St. James Lutheran Cemetery, Elmira, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
     = Link to Google Earth 

  • Notes 
    • St. John's Wellesley Township Evangelical Lutheran Church

      A log church, located on Hesson Strasse or Hessian Road south-west of St. Clements and north of Bamberg (9 miles southeast of Linwood), was built in 1850 and dedicated in 1852 - one of a joint charge with St. Peter's, Heidelberg and First St. Paul's of Wellesley Village. Rev. F.A. Peifer (1852-1856), who organized the congregation in 1852, was the first pastor. He was followed by Revs. F.V. Wunderlich, F. Hildebrandt, Jacob Werth and Daniel Stahlschmidt (1860-1872). Destroyed by fire in early 1870, the church was replaced immediately with a new stone building across the road (on the south side) which was completed and dedicated in June, 1872. The church was associated with Heidelberg from 1860 until 1907 when it was joined with the Linwood Parish. In August 1991 the church appeared to be in good condition, with the grounds well kept. Four services are held each year. The marker above the front door reads: Deutsche Ev. Luth. Kirche 1872.

      Ambrose, Rosemary. Waterloo County Churches A Research Guide to Churches Established Before 1900. Kitchener, Ontario, Canada: Waterloo-Wellington Branch, Ontario Genealogical Society, 1993. [used the kind permission of Rosemary Ambrose 2011]

      ___________________________


      St. Peter's Evangelical Lutheran Church

      Begun: 1845

      The church is said to have been in existence by 1845 when early services were conducted by Rev. F.W. Bindemann. A log church, located approximately a mile outside Heidelberg, was built in 1851. Other early pastors are said to have been Revs. F.V. Wunderlich, C. Lorenz and Jacob Werth. However it was not until 1860 that the first full-time pastor arrived, in the person of Rev. Daniel Stahlschmidt (1860-1873).

      Construction of the present church was begun in 1867, although the date marker above the front door reads 1869 (Ev. Luth. St. Petrus Kirche 1869). The roof and steeple were replaced after a lightning strike in 1876. The church building was renovated c.1900 and a basement was added. A new parsonage was built in 1908.

      St. Paul's Lutheran Church in Erbsville, founded in 1852, was a branch of Heidelberg. The two congregations remain a joint parish..

      Ambrose, Rosemary. Waterloo County Churches A Research Guide to Churches Established Before 1900. Kitchener, Ontario, Canada: Waterloo-Wellington Branch, Ontario Genealogical Society, 1993. [used the kind permission of Rosemary Ambrose 2011]

      __________________________


      St. Matthew's Lutheran Church

      A congregation was organized c.1850 by Rev. F.W. Bindemann, and services were held in a schoolhouse until the first church, which was to be used for 39 years, was erected in 1853. Rev. Jacob Werth of St. Jacobs was the first pastor. He was followed by Rev. T. Huschman (1853) of Waterloo; Rev. Werth returned to Conestogo from 1857-1860. Rev. Daniel Stahlschmidt (1860-1871) from Heidelberg came next, followed by Rev. Salinger (1871-1875) from Elmira, and Rev. Schneider of Waterloo from 1876-1881. The congregation joined the Canada Synod in the 1860s. In 1866 the congregation adopted a new constitution in which the name designated for the church was St. Matthew's Evangelical Lutheran Church Congregation.

      Plans were begun in 1889 to build a new and larger church. Accordingly, in 1892, the old church was replaced with a new one which was built on the same site. The cornerstone was laid in early summer and dedication services were held on November 6, 1892. The pastor at the time was Rev. Goos. The interior of the church was enlarged in the years 1922-1925 to provide a chancel and sacristy; the interior of the church was also redecorated and new pews were installed. The church celebrated its 90th Anniversary on August 30, 1942, and its Centennial in 1953.

      Conestogo was joined in a parish with St. James Lutheran Church, St. Jacobs, in 1905, an association which is still in effect.

      Ambrose, Rosemary. Waterloo County Churches A Research Guide to Churches Established Before 1900. Kitchener, Ontario, Canada: Waterloo-Wellington Branch, Ontario Genealogical Society, 1993. [used the kind permission of Rosemary Ambrose 2011]

      ______________________

      St. James Evangelical Lutheran Church


      An Evangelical Lutheran congregation, known at first as the North Woolwich Evangelical Lutheran Congregation, was organized in 1850. Land was purchased in Elmira and a small log building, completed December 25, 1857, became the first church. The first sermon had been preached on Easter Sunday, 1852 by the Rev. Jacob Werth (1852-1859). He was followed by Revs H.W.H. Wichmann (1859-1860), C.F.A. Kaessmann (1861-1867) and J.L. Rau (1868-1870). Plans were made soon after the arrival of Rev. Rau on April 16, 1868 for a new and larger church. Construction of the new white brick church was begun in the Spring of 1869. The cornerstone was laid on July 1st and the church was completed and dedicated on December 19, 1869. A parsonage was purchased in 1879. Property was purchased for a cemetery on the Guelph Road in 1884; additional land was acquired in 1910.

      The congregation became self-supporting with its own full-time pastor in 1905. Rev. A.R. Schultz, who began his ministry to St. James on January 9, 1879, was pastor at that time and was to continue to serve the congregation until his death in November 1911. Two years after the arrival of Rev. J. Strempfer on March 17, 1912, discussions began regarding a newer and larger church. The final service was held in the old church on April 26, 1914 and the next day its removal began. The cornerstone for the new church was laid on July 12, 1914, services began in the basement on November 29th, and on May 9, 1915 the present church was dedicated. English services were held as early as 1917 but it was not until January, 1935 that they were preached on a regular basis - every other Sunday. In 1939 German language services were discontinued. Continued growth of the congregation and lack of sufficient space resulted in a large addition in 1962-1963 of the Christian Education wing and Parish Hall. Dedication of the new complex was in June 1963. (The datestone on the church reads: "St. Jacobus Ev. Luth. Kirche 1914".)

      Ambrose, Rosemary. Waterloo County Churches A Research Guide to Churches Established Before 1900. Kitchener, Ontario, Canada: Waterloo-Wellington Branch, Ontario Genealogical Society, 1993. [used the kind permission of Rosemary Ambrose 2011]

      _________________


      From 1850 until a small log structure was erected in 1857, local Lutherans met in homes and rented buildings. Among the mid-century pastors was Rev. Jacob Werth, who lived in St. Jacobs and supplemented his ministerial pay by making and selling his popular coffee extract.

      mills, r. (2017). Elmira's lively congregations move forward from 1912. TheSpec.com. Retrieved 8 December 2017, from https://www.thespec.com/living-story/7982303-elmira-s-lively-congregations-move-forward-from-1912/

      _______________________

      Jacob is reported to have been born in Hilden, Prussia, Germany, documentation needed.





  • Sources 
    1. [S7] News - ON, Waterloo, Kitchener - Berliner Journal (1859-1917), 20 Mar 1890.
      Mar 12 1890 Jakob Werth died near St. Jacobs at age of 78 years, 1 month & 21 days.

    2. [S130] Census - ON, Waterloo, Woolwich - 1881, Div. 1 Page 30.

    3. [S144] Census - ON, Waterloo, Woolwich - 1871, Div. 4, Pg.19.

    4. [S199] Cemetery - ON, Waterloo, Woolwich - St. James Lutheran Elmira CC#2800 Internet Link.
      In/ memory of/ Jacob Werth/ born Jan. 19, 1812/ died Mar. 12, 1890/ Phoebe Werth/ born Mar. 14, 1829/ died July 1, 1916/ rest in peace/ Werth

    5. [S1821] Census - ON, Waterloo, Woolwich - 1891, Section 3 Page 23.