1888 - 2011 (~ 123 years)
||Byron St. 0003 - church - St. George Anglican - Gothic Revival New Hamburg |
||3 Byron St, New Hamburg, Ontario
||St. George Anglican Church, New Hamburg, Ontario
||St. George Anglican Church New Hamburg |
||14 Dec 2011 |
- St. George's Anglican Church
Anglican services were held in homes and barns in the New Hamburg area as early as 1846, although not on a regular basis. A Parish was organized in 1852 and regular services were begun in an old schoolhouse on Jacob Street with Rev. Peter Van Linge as pastor. The congregation then accepted the offer of the Lutherans to worship in their church, which was used until c.1856 when a shoe store on Boulee Street was purchased and remodelled. This building was in use until 1882 when it was sold.
The congregation then rented, and later bought, the Presbyterian Church on Huron Street. Property was purchased on Byron St. in 1887 and on May 3, 1888 the cornerstone for the present church was laid. The first service was held on September 16, 1888. Construction began in 1957 on the Parish Hall which was dedicated on April 15, 1958. Of the three early Anglican churches in Wilmot Township, only St. George's remains in regular use. St. James ended regular services in 1931, and Christ Church, Haysville with which St. James then joined, closed in 1942.
Baptism dates: 1853-1973 Location of records: Diocese of Huron Archives
Marriage dates: 1853-1973 Location of records: Diocese of Huron Archives
Burial dates: 1853-1973 Location of records: Diocese of Huron Archives
Records for 1853-1916 are at the Diocese of Huron Archives. The Parish Register for 1917-1973, also at the Archives, includes St. James, Wilmot and Christ Church, Haysville.
[ADDRESS/LOCATION: 11 Byron St., New Hamburg, ON N0B 2G0; 662-3450.]
References: Cassel, WHS 1962(50):73-74; R. Taylor 1986; Wilmot 1967:70.
Church History: Jaegers, Mary. A History of Anglican Worship in Wilmot Township, 1838-1988, 1988.1a
1aAmbrose, Rosemary. Waterloo County Churches A Research Guide to Churches Established Before 1900. Kitchener, Ontario, Canada: Waterloo-Wellington Branch, Ontario Genealogical Society, 1993. [used the kind permission of Rosemary Ambrose 2011]