1908 - 1945 (37 years)
||Elmer Battler |
||11 Mar 1908
||Wilmot Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada [6, 7]
||murder, crime, story |
||New Dundee, Wilmot Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada 
|murdered by Henry Joseph Dietrich |
|Eby ID Number
||13 Jul 1945 [1, 7]
|Cause: auto accident |
||20 Aug 2020 |
||Thomas Ervin Hervy Battler, b. Feb 1876, Wilmot Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada , d. Yes, date unknown |
||Lucinda Bock, b. 20 Mar 1881, Wilmot Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada , d. 5 Nov 1985, Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada (Age 104 years) |
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
- Battler. - Elmer Battler, Kitchener, Ont., was born in Wilmot Twp., March 11, 1908; passed away suddenly as the result of an accident, July 13, 1945; aged 37 y. 4 m. 2 d. He is survived by his parents (Mr. and Mrs. Ervin Battler, of Kitchener), his wife (Ruby Viola Snider), one son (David), one daughter (Janice), 6 brothers (Ewart and Ross, of Kitchener; Manson, of Quebec; Lloyd and Ivan, overseas; and Reginald, at home), and 2 sisters (Ethel, of London; and Bertha - Mrs. Leo Scherrer, of Sunnyside). He was known for his quiet demeanor, his kindliness and good will. Funeral services were held at the First Mennonite Church, of which he was a member, in charge of the pastor, C. F. Derstine. Theme: "Preparation to Meet Our Maker."
Gospel Herald - Vol. XXXVIII, No . 20 - August 17, 1945, page 383, 384
Second Trial Convicts Man of 1945 Murder
Kitchener (CP) - Henry Joseph Dietrich, 45, of Kitchener has been found guilty of non-capital murder in the 1945 shooting death of taxi driver Elmer Battler.
Mr. Justice Haines of the Ontario Supreme Court sentenced Dietrich to life imprisonment but said he will recommend that Dietrich be transferred to a psychiatric hospital. It was Dietrich's second trial in connection with the death of the Kitchener taxi driver July 13, 1945. Mr. Justice Haines said that while evidence indicated that Dietrich was not insane, he had been mentally ill for a long time. Dietrich was first arrested Nov. 23, 1963, in London, Ont.
He pleaded guilty to a charge of non-capital murder on Sept. 7, 1966, but later was granted a new trial by the Ontario Court of appeal on grounds that he had pleaded guilty to the wrong charge and no jury was empaneled when the plea was taken.
Ottawa Citizen 20 Sep 1968
- [S2403] News - Unidentified Newspaper Obituary, Obituary of Ethel May Battler.
- [S2403] News - Unidentified Newspaper Obituary, Obituary of Ivan W. Battler - 2002.
- [S2403] News - Unidentified Newspaper Obituary, Obituary of Lloyd Ervin Battler.
- [S2403] News - Unidentified Newspaper Obituary, Obituary of Lucinda Bock - Battler.
- [S2403] News - Unidentified Newspaper Obituary, Obituary of Manson Battler.
- [S346] Census - ON, Waterloo, Wilmot - 1911, Div. 12 Page 13.
- [S8] News - Gospel Herald, Obituary of Elmer Battler - August 17, 1945, page 383, 384.