1860 - 1940 (80 years)
||Joseph K. Detweiler |
||8 Sep 1860
||, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada [4, 5]
||Woolwich Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada 
|Eby ID Number
||9 Nov 1940
||29 Sep 2019 |
||Abraham W. Detweiler, b. 1827, Woolwich Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada , d. Yes, date unknown |
||Barbara Koch, b. 19 Jul 1831, Woolwich Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada , d. Yes, date unknown |
||4 Mar 1851
||Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada 
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
- Dettwiler. - Joseph, son of Abraham and Barbara (Koch) Dettwiler, was born in Waterloo Co., Ont., Sept. 8, 1860; died Nov. 9, 1940; aged 80 y. 2 m. 1 d. He was blessed with good health, never having required the services of a physician during his lifetime, until about 10 months ago his health began to fail and about 4 months ago, after a doctor's examination it was discovered that cancer had developed. When a young man he joined the Mennonite Church and was faithful to the end. In 1882 he married Elizabeth Leinbach. This union was blessed with 5 children. One son preceded him to death in 1911. There remain to mourn his passing his widow and 4 children (Amanda Wilson of Kingman, Alta.; Noah of Limon, Colo.; Aaron of New Paris, Ind.; Malinda Dettwiler at home); also 1 brother (Abraham, of St. Jacobs, Ont.), and 1 sister (Elizabeth of Goshen, Ind.), 15 grandchildren, and 8 great-grandchildren. Three sisters and 2 brothers preceded him in death. At the age of 3 he moved to Michigan with his parents and lived there until 1910, when he moved to Youngstown, Alta., with his family. In 1924 he moved to Kingman, Alta., at which place he lived until his death. He had a deep desire for spiritual things, always attending the place of worship whenever it was possible to do so. Funeral services were conducted in the home and at the Salem Mennonite Church, Nov. 12. Services in charge of Bros. M. D. Stutzman and J. B. Stauffer. Texts, Rev. 14: 15; Psa.36: 9. Burial in near-by cemetery.
"Rest on, dear father, thy labors are o'er,
Those loving hands, will toil no more;
A faithful father, true and kind,
No friend on earth like you we'll find."
Gospel Herald - Vol. XXXIII, No 35 - November 28, 1940 ----page 751
- [S3] Book - Vol I A Biographical History of Waterloo Township and other townships of the county : being a history of the early settlers and their descendants, mostly all of Pennsylvania Dutch origin..., 854.
- [S173] Ancestry.com.
- [S3] Book - Vol I A Biographical History of Waterloo Township and other townships of the county : being a history of the early settlers and their descendants, mostly all of Pennsylvania Dutch origin..., 511.
- [S8] News - Gospel Herald, November 28, 1940 - Obituary of Joseph Detweiler.
- [S915] Census - ON, Waterloo, Woolwich - 1861, Township of Woolwich 1861 Div. 5 Page 47.
- [S13] Vit - - ON, Waterloo - Wellington District Marriage Register Part 1 1840-1852, Marriages By Rev'd Benjamin Eby, Minister of The Mennonist Society, Berlin report #194.
Abraham Dettweiler, to Barbara Koch, both of Woolwich. 4 Mar. 1851. Rev. Eby. Wit. Isaac Dettweiler and Jacob E. Reist.