1824 - Yes, date unknown
-
Name |
John Foreman |
Born |
1824 |
, Ontario, Canada [2] |
Gender |
Male |
Occupation |
1881 |
South Cayuga Township, Haldimand Co., Ontario [2] |
shoemaker |
Eby ID Number |
Waterloo-24303 |
Died |
Yes, date unknown |
Person ID |
I24303 |
Generations |
Last Modified |
3 Mar 2025 |
Family |
Christina Sherk, b. 1827, , Ontario, Canada , d. Yes, date unknown |
Children |
| 1. Julia Ann Foreman, b. 1847, , Haldimand Co., Ontario, Canada , d. Yes, date unknown |
| 2. Jacob Foreman, b. 1850, , Haldimand Co., Ontario, Canada , d. Yes, date unknown |
| 3. Henry Foreman, b. 10 Jan 1851, Rainham Twp., Haldimand Co., Ontario, Canada , d. 30 Sep 1934, Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada (Age 83 years) |
| 4. Veronica "Frances" Foreman, b. 22 Sep 1858, , Haldimand Co., Ontario, Canada , d. 1920 (Age 61 years) |
| 5. John Emanuel Foreman, b. 1860, South Cayuga Township, Haldimand Co., Ontario , d. Yes, date unknown |
|
Last Modified |
4 Mar 2025 |
Family ID |
F6043 |
Group Sheet | Family Chart |
-
Notes |
- Frederick Street, West Side.
On the site in front of the present Fire Hall, on the street line next to the St. Nicholas hotel, an unpainted frame shed, with an enclosed part at one end where the fireman's hook and ladder truck was kept. In case of fire this truck was generally rushed out by hand, a long rope attached to the pole and a double line of men. After the fire was out they would hire a team to draw the truck back.
An open space.
A small dark yellow frame school building erected in 1834 and later used to store the fire engine.
A wood shed later used as a two-cell lock-up for the village, 1857-60, and probably a little later.
Behind the school house stood an undenominational church erected in 1842. The church had a steeple with a railing around it. About ten years later the building was used for a school room, called the Advanced School. In 1856 it was used for the village council and known as the Town Hall. In 1874 it was used as an engine house, and so continued until the building known as the Market House was built in 1869. After 1874 it was again used as an engine house until the present Fire Hall was built on its site.
A two-story brick building with gable toward Frederick Street and a second story porch along the front erected by Justus Werner about 1850, or 51, still standing. Werner had a waggon shop on the first floor and lived with his family on the second. Later a Mr. Foreman bought the building and had a shoe shop on the first floor for a number of years.
A brick house later occupied by Dr. Mylius when he moved there from his King Street house.
A frame building the house of Henry Knell, the jeweller, later occupied by Mathias Riener, a tailor, who came from Vienna, Austria, and moved here from Breslau.
one-story red frame building a little back of the street line with gable toward Frederick Street, erected about 1838, occupied by Peter Rebscher Senior, the brewer's father.
A one and one-half story frame building, not painted, lengthwise with Frederick Street with ground floor a few steps above the sidewalk, occupied by Mrs. Krug, a widow, and next to it her barn.
A vacant space to Weber Street. The Court House was built in 1852, the registry office later, and still later the present Judge's chambers. Vacant space on Ahrens Street.
On the northerly corner of Ahrens a 1 ½ story brick dwelling parallel with Frederick Street built and occupied by Philip Reichert, a carpenter. His father was a pedler, vending tinware and china, rags and produce. A 1 1/2 story frame building with a small veranda over the front door, the dwelling of Otto Fleischauer, still standing and now on the corner of Otto Street.
Intersection of Lancaster, Frederick and Ellen Sts., long known as the five points. Next, on Frederick Street a double, white frame weather board dwelling, half occupied by Henry Otterbein, the other half by Balzar Schmalz.
Next, the farm house of John Eby with his dwelling directly opposite the House of Refuge. The county bought most of Eby's farm for this latter institution.
REMINISCENCES OF BERLIN (NOW KITCHENER) By JACOB STROH Contributed by Joseph M. Snyder.
Part I. Settlement - Early Villagers and Buildings, Waterloo Historical Society Annual Volume 1930
|
-
Sources |
- [S4] Vit - ON - Marriage Registration, 010879-77.
Henry FOREMAN, 26, shoemaker, Reinham Haldinaud County, New Dundee, s/o John & Adina FOREMAN, married Leah WING, 18, Wilmot Township, same, d/o I. WING & Christina WING, Wilmot Township, witn: Daniel BEAN of New Dundee & Elizabeth WING of Wilmot Township, 7 Feb 1877, New Hamburg
- [S491] Census - ON, Haldimand - 1881, Cayuga South, Haldimand, Ontario Film 1375891 District 146 Sub-district C Page Number 24 Household Number 111.
|
-
|