Waterloo Region Generations
A record of the people of Waterloo Region, Ontario.
Johann Jacob "Jacob" Hailer

Johann Jacob "Jacob" Hailer[1]

Male 1804 - 1882  (77 years)

Personal Information    |    Media    |    Notes    |    Sources    |    Event Map    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name Johann Jacob "Jacob" Hailer 
    Born 20 Dec 1804  Wilferdingen, Grossherzogthum Baden, Germany Find all individuals with events at this location  [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
    Gender Male 
    Immigration 1829  Baltimore, Baltimore (City), Maryland, USA Find all individuals with events at this location  [7
    Immigration 1830  , Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [7
    Occupation 1851  Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [8
    wheelwright 
    Occupation 1852  Waterloo Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [9
    wheel wright 
    Occupation 1871  Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [3
    Wheelwright 
    Occupation 1881  Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [5
    Wheelright 
    Residence 1881  Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [5
    Evangelical 
    Died 6 Mar 1882  Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [1, 4, 6
    Hall of Fame - Waterloo Region Bef 2012  , Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [10
    Interesting honoured, business, story, religion 
    Possesions Cane of John Jacob Hailer 
    John Jacob's cane in possession of Ian Hadden 2012
    John Jacob's cane in possession of Ian Hadden 2012
    Name Jacob Hailer  [11, 12, 13
    Name Jakob Hailer 
    Name John Jacob Hailer 
    Residence Evangelical Gemeinshaft Association, Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Eby ID Number Waterloo-24450 
    Buried Mount Hope Cemetery, Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [4, 6
    Person ID I24450  Generations
    Last Modified 22 Jan 2022 

    Family Margareth Riehl,   b. 13 Oct 1807, Muehlhausen, , Bayern, Germany Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 9 Jun 1885, Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 77 years) 
    Children 
     1. Margaret Hailer,   b. 30 May 1831, Chippewa, Welland Co., Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 7 Jul 1918, Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 87 years)
     2. Catharine Hailer,   b. 16 Aug 1834, Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 5 Jul 1910, Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 75 years)
     3. Harriet Hailer,   b. 1 Nov 1836, Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 30 Aug 1927, Sanger, Fresno, California, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 90 years)
     4. Marian Hailer,   b. 6 Nov 1838, Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 8 Apr 1932, Guelph City, Wellington Co., Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 93 years)
     5. Carolina H. Hailer,   b. 6 Sep 1843, Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 1923  (Age 79 years)
     6. Jacob Christian "Jake" Hailer,   b. 15 Feb 1846, Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 5 Nov 1886, Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 40 years)
    Last Modified 22 Jan 2022 
    Family ID F6108  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Photos
    Jacob Hailer
    Jacob Hailer
    source Waterloo Hall of Fame

  • Notes 
    • Breithaupt is a daughter of Jacob Hailer, a native of Baden, Germany. He left the old country in 1829, and after spending one year in Baltimore, Maryland, came to Canada, and settled where the town of Berlin now stands. That was just fifty years ago. He built the fifth or sixth house in the place, and followed the wheelwright business till a few years ago, his specialty being spinning wheels and reels. He is in his 76th year, and somewhat deaf and infirm. His wife is also living, and quite smart and active. Mr. Hailer is a prominent member of the Evangelical Association, and has long been an officer of the same.

      The Canadian Biographical Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Ontario Volume, 1880

      ______________________

      Zion United Church

      A Sunday School was established in Berlin in 1837, meeting in Jacob Hailer's carpenter shop which was located at the southeast corner of what is now King and Scott Streets. A mission was begun by Rev. Christian Holl shortly after his arrival in Berlin on May 9, 1839, and a class (or congregation) was organized several months later on August 29, 1839 by Bishop John Seybert of the Evangelical Association during a camp meeting held at David Erb's farm near Lexington. John Hoffman was the Berlin class leader; his brother, Jacob, was class leader for the Waterloo-Lexington congregation. The Berlin congregation met in the old Town Hall until their first church was built in 1841 on Queen Street South across from Church Street on land purchased as of August 24, 1841 from Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Schneider. The church was dedicated on September 25th of that year, with Rev. Christian Hummel of Buffalo, New York, officiating. Rev. Joseph Harlacher was pastor from 1840-1842. In 1842 the Waterloo Mission became a Circuit of the East Pennsylvania Conference. Two years later it was part of the New York Conference.

      The second church building was built of brick on the same site in 1866, and dedicated in 1867; Rev. C.A. Spies was pastor at the time. The old frame church was sold and moved to Elgin Street where it was used as a dwelling. In the same year Berlin became a station.

      The present church building was built in 1893 on Weber Street; dedication services were held on June 15, 16 and 17, 1894. This building was heavily damaged by fires in 1942 and 1965 but was renovated and restored each time.

      The union of the Evangelical Church and the United Brethren in Christ Church on November 16, 1946 created the Evangelical United Brethren Church. The name of the church was to change again, to Zion United Church when the Evangelical United Brethren Church joined the United Church of Canada on January 1, 1968.

      Of interest: some maps of early Berlin show this church as a German Methodist church.


      Waterloo County Churches A Research Guide To Churches Established Before 1900
      By Rosemary Ambrose

      ________________________


      Jacob Hailer was born in Wilferdingen, in the Grand Duchy of Baden, in 1804, came to Waterloo Township in 1832, bought his first acre of land in Berlin from Bishop Benjamin Eby in 1833 and at once established himself as proprietor of a chair and spinning wheel shop, in which he did a modest but flourishing business for well over forty years. He was instrumental in establishing in Canada the religious denomination known as the Evangelical Association, whose regular place of worship for some time, until a church was built, was in Hailer's shop. The first church of this denomination in Canada was built in 1841, on Queen street south, opposite the end of Church street, Berlin. This was a frame building, replaced in 1866 by one of brick and moved to Elgin street, where it still exists as a dwelling. The present church on Weber street is the third building of this denomination in Berlin. Jacob Hailer died in 1882

      First Annual Report of the Waterloo Historical Society, 1913

      _________________

      Jacob Hailer of Wilferdingen, Grand Duchy of Baden, bought an acre of land at the southeast corner of King and Scott Streets in 1832 from Bishop Ben Eby. A stretch of forest stood on the other side of King Street. Mr. Hailer built a home on his purchase and next a chair and spinning-wheel shop. At first he used a foot lathe to do his turning. Samples of his chairs and spinning-wheel may be seen in the Waterloo Historical Society's Museum. Mr. Hailer was the grandfather of a prominent city family, and actively engaged in business for more than forty years.

      A History of Kitchener, W. V. (Ben) Uttley, Kitchener, Ontario 1937, pp 33-34

      __________________

      King Street , North Side

      Frederick Street.

      Bishop Benjamin Eby's farm came to the corner of King and Frederick Streets. Next to Frederick Street, Frederick and William Miller erected a frame building and used it as a general store. After the grading operations spoken of this building had to undergo the same process as the St. Nicholas Hotel. It was considered a fine building in its day with large windows on each side of the centre door. Henry Stroh finally bought the building and tore it down in 1868. Jacob Stroh has some of the window sash, shutters, stairway, etc., still in his possession. Later the building was occupied by Jacob Eckstein cigar maker and tobacco dealer. Mrs. Warren with a family lived on the second story for a number of years.

      Vacant lot. Next a large brick building with double deck porch along the front, the Queen's Arms Hotel, built about 1840 and continued as a hotel until about 1860. A Mr. Butchard was the first landlord and later Levi Weber. From this hotel the first omnibus met the trains at the G.T.R. station in Berlin in 1856. Before that day it was a stopping place of stage coaches operating from Hamilton and Galt to Berlin and beyond. The old Queen's Arms long vacant and practically ruined as a building was sold finally and made room for the Market Building and Town Hall in 1869.*

      Next we come to the John Roos house. This also had a double-deck veranda with heavy posts as was the style 1840-50. The building was later turned into a hotel known as the Market Hotel and kept by Casper Heller.

      A lot with a log cabin in the rear, occupied by Jacob Sauer, who had come from Pennsylvania, father of Mrs. John Roat.

      * See 1922 Annual Report W. H. S., p. 210.

      A harness shop occupied by John Roat, then by his son John and later by John Haugh, a son-in-law of John Roat.

      A garden. A dwelling, 4 or 5 feet lower than the street which had been filled up, where lived the Susand family. Mrs. Susand had a reputation with juveniles for tarts and molasses taffy sold in lc. bars. Her children were in the habit of selling these wares to passengers at the G.T.R. station. After her husband's death about 1860, widow Susand moved her shop to Foundry Street North, and there continued until she died. Susand was an ex-slave. In 1857 at a nomination meeting for Council, he was nominated and stood a good chance of being elected, as a joke. However, the more thoughtful element among the voters prevailed.

      A two story, frame building, lengthwise with King Street, built in the '30's. After street grading this had to be raised so that what had before been the ground floor became the cellar or basement.

      A house occupied by Wm. Hawke,-known as Bill Hawke- a mason. A stout, easy-going man. His wife was in the habit of standing in the door way, with white lace cap, smoking a clay pipe. The east end of this building was occupied by Winters, a hatter, the first hat maker in Berlin. He made the old style, broad brim, Mennonite hats in fashion up to about 1845. At the corner of Scott stood a brick building of good size with gable toward King Street, used to stable the first fire teams for a number of years. Later John Wagner had a waggon shop above and George Ward a blacksmith shop underneath. Scott Street was, however, not opened until many years later.

      A one and one-half story building rough cast, gable facing King St., occupied by H. W. Peterson, who began publishing the "Canada Museum", in 1835 and so continued until 1840 when he went to Guelph as first Registrar of the County of Wellington. This was the first newspaper published in Waterloo County.

      Jacob Hailer's house, a one and one-half story, frame building with porch along the front partly enclosed by lattice work. In this house was born in 1834, Catherine Hailer, who married Louis Breithaupt. She is said to have been the first child born in Berlin of parents who came from Germany. Hailer's barn was some distance back from the street and next along on the street front was his shop where he manufactured spinning wheels, etc., and chairs which had a large distribution. Hailer was an expert wood turner. He had two foot-power lathes and a number of German assistants from time to time, continuing his shop for about 40 years.

      A two story frame building lengthwise with King Street, erected by Dr. John Scott. He had a drug store with two good-sized windows at the front. On the east gable of the building was a sign, "Med. Hall" in large letters. The sign was legible long after Dr. Scott's death. The doctor pursued his practice on horseback for which he used three horses. He was the first medical practitioner in Berlin, coming in 1834, at the time of the cholera epidemic. For a few years before he was married he boarded at the Gaukel Hotel. His later house, after the one described, is still standing on Weber Street at the rear of the Kitchener Public Library.

      The old Scott house on King Street was later occupied by Franz Martin who kept a saloon. Martin had a musical family, with the zither as their principal instrument, which all the children could play.

      A one and one-half story, frame building, painted, occupied by Anslm Wagner, a potter.

      A brick building 1 ½ story lengthwise with King Street, the west end of which was John Eby's drug store, the rest of the building being his dwelling. This was the first regular drug store in Berlin.

      A brick building with a frame extension in the rear used by David Eby as a pump shop. Part of the brick building is still standing, the rest having been cut olT for the opening of Eby Street North.

      A one story hip roof brick cottage occupied by Geo. Eby, a Notary, who came to Canada in 1804. He died in this house. A considerable fish story is told of how he followed a sturgeon in the Conestoga River, part of Grand River, and finally speared it.

      A one and one-half story building, probably rough cast, occupied by Hy. Wurm, a carpenter employed at the Simpson factory.

      A two story brick building painted red occupied by Henry S. Huber.'

      A handsome brick building, two story, with veranda along the front and ground floor considerably above the street level, with broad steps, the width of the building, leading to it, was built in 1850. Some time later it was occupied by Casper Heller and known as the Royal Exchange hotel. Following the old custom its swinging sign had "Last Chance" on the side toward the village and "First Chance" outward, referring to liquid refreshments. Heller kept a good hotel and had also a large shed and ham next east of the hotel.

      On the corner a steam grist mill was erected, about 1860. Louis Seyler, a German, was the miller. The custom was for farmers to bring in their wheat to have it ground, getting in return flour, bran and middlings, the miller retaining his toll. Later Lehnen & Shelly operated this mill.

      REMINISCENCES OF BERLIN (NOW KITCHENER) By JACOB STROH Contributed by Joseph M. Snyder.

      Part I. Settlement - Early Villagers and Buildings, Waterloo Historical Society Annual Volume 1930

  • Sources 
    1. [S7] News - ON, Waterloo, Kitchener - Berliner Journal (1859-1917), 9 Mar 1882.
      06 Mar 1882 Johann Jakob Hailer died in Berlin at age of 77 years, 2 months and 14 days, a native of Wilferdingen near Carlsruhe in Baden. He landed in Baltimore, Maryland on Sep 9, 1829, came here in 1831, 51 years ago and was the first European-German settler in Berlin.

    2. [S131] Census - ON, Waterloo, Waterloo Twp. - 1851, Div 4 Pg 8.
      Jacob HAILER Wheel Wright Germany 48 Evangelical Association b. 28-Dec M
      Margareth HAILER France 45 Evangelical Association b. 13-Oct F
      Katharine HAILER Canada 18 Evangelical Association b. 16-Aug F
      Heriata HAILER Canada 16 Evangelical Association b. 1-Nov F
      Mariana HAILER Canada 14 Evangelical Association b. 6-Nov F
      Carolina H. HAILER Canada 8 Evangelical Association b. 6-Sep F
      Jacob C. HAILER Canada 6 Evangelical Association b. 15-Feb M

    3. [S229] Census - ON, Waterloo, Berlin - 1871, Div 13, Page 23.

    4. [S166] Cemetery - ON, Waterloo, Kitchener - Mount Hope CC#4508 Internet Link .
      S.E. Hier ruhet in Gott / J. Jacob Hailer / geb. in Wilferdingen / Grossherzogthum Baden / 20 Dec. 1804 / gest. 6 Maerz 1882 / War Einwohner von Berlin seit 1831 / der erste Europseische Deutsche ansiedler / Liech. text Lukas 2: 29,30 / Hailer

      N.E. Margaretha Hailer / geb. Riehl geb. 13 Oct. / 1807 / in Muehlhausen Bei / Straszburg Elsasz / gest. 9th June 1885 / Alt. 77 Jahr 7 M. / u. 27 Ta. A. M.H. Fence

    5. [S158] Census - ON, Waterloo, Berlin - 1881, Div 1 Page 25.

    6. [S2173] Find A Grave, Cemetery, M., America, N., Municipality, W., & Cemetery, M. (1804). Johann "Jacob" Hailer (1804-1882) -... Retrieved 12 May 2020, from https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/154285300/johann-_jacob_-hailer.

    7. [S107] Book - The Canadian Biographical Dictionary and Portrait Gallery of Eminent and Self-Made Men, Ontario Volume, 1880.

    8. [S2070] Directory - Ontario Directory for 1851.

    9. [S131] Census - ON, Waterloo, Waterloo Twp. - 1851, Div 4 Pg 8.

    10. [S220] Waterloo Region Hall of Fame Waterloo Region Hall of Fame.

    11. [S5] Vit - - ON, Waterloo - 1858-1869 Marriage Register, marriage of daughter Margaret to Daniel Bean.

    12. [S116] Vit - ON - Death Registration.
      Catherine Breithaupt d. 5 Jul 1910 Berlin, b. 16 Aug 1834, aged 75y, 10m, 19d Berlin, d/o Jacob Hailer (b. Germany) & Margaret Riehl (b.. Germany) cause: dilation of the heart (12 weeks)

    13. [S7] News - ON, Waterloo, Kitchener - Berliner Journal (1859-1917), 19 Apr 1866.
      Emilie Goetze died 13 Apr 1866 in New York, daughter of William H. granddaughter of Jakob Hailer. 3 yrs.

  • Event Map
    Link to Google MapsBorn - 20 Dec 1804 - Wilferdingen, Grossherzogthum Baden, Germany Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsImmigration - 1829 - Baltimore, Baltimore (City), Maryland, USA Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsImmigration - 1830 - , Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsOccupation - wheelwright - 1851 - Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsOccupation - wheel wright - 1852 - Waterloo Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsOccupation - Wheelwright - 1871 - Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsOccupation - Wheelright - 1881 - Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsResidence - Evangelical - 1881 - Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsDied - 6 Mar 1882 - Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsHall of Fame - Waterloo Region - Bef 2012 - , Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsResidence - - Evangelical Gemeinshaft Association, Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsBuried - - Mount Hope Cemetery, Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
     = Link to Google Earth