1861 - 1940 (78 years)
||Lovina Hunsperger |
||26 Sep 1861
||New Dundee, Wilmot Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada 
|Eby ID Number
||28 May 1940
||Calgary, Alberta, Canada 
||Didsbury Cemetery, Didsbury, Alberta, Canada 
||26 Nov 2023 |
||Benjamin H. "Ben" Hunsperger, b. 16 Dec 1839, Wilmot Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada , d. 22 Dec 1927, Didsbury, Alberta, Canada (Age 88 years) |
||Esther D. "Hettie" Biehn, b. 8 Feb 1842, Wilmot Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada , d. 22 Mar 1937, Westcott, Alberta (Age 95 years) |
||29 Jul 1860
||Wilmot Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada [3, 4, 5]
||Group Sheet | Family Chart
- Mrs. Lovina Levagood, one of the oldest residents of the Didsbury district, died suddenly at the home of her grand-daughter, Mrs. Harry Steckley, in Calgary, where she was visiting, on Tuesday, May 28th. She went to lie down after lunch and quietly passed away. She was in her 79th year.
Lovina Hunsperger was born at New Dundee, Ontario, on September 26th, 1861, and was married to Isaac Levagood at Greenwood, Michigan, on September 10th, 1878. Two years after their marriage they moved to Kansas, where they lived until 1899, when they came to Alberta and were among the first to homestead in the Westcott district. They lived on the farm continuously until the death of Mr. Levagood in 1930, when Mrs. Levagood moved to Didsbury, where she had since resided.
The late Mrs. Levagood was one of the first members of the Zion Evangelical Church and was a regular attender at the services.
She leaves to mourn their loss, three sons, Harry and Ira, of Westcott, and Roy, of Lilliwaup, Wash. One son died at Wallace, Idaho, in 1924. There are also ten grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.
Excerpt from The Didsbury Pioneer, May 30, 1940, page 1
married Isaac H. Levagood b.Sept. 18, 1856 Greenwood Center, Michigan d.Sept. 26, 1930 (see Didsbury Cemetery transcript)
1.Wesley Oscar b.July 24, 1881 Kansas City, Missouri d.Nov. 25, 1924 married Dec. 11, 1906 to Tressie May Ryckman b.Jan. 4, 1890 d.March 1945; he buried Didsbury Cemetery; she buried Spokane, Wash.; had one daughter Thelma b.Jan. 5, 1908 Didsbury, Alta. Who married Harry Jason Steckly b.Apr. 8, 1932 Beaver Crossing, Seward Co., Nebraska (I have info. on their 2 children and descendants)
2. Harry Oliver Levagood b.Aug. 8, 1883 Marion, Kansas d.Aug. 27, 1968 married Ivy Maude Rinehart b.June 27, 1884, d.1973; both buried Westcott United Church Cemetery (near Didsbury, Alta.); 2 children: Mildred Lucille b.may 11, 1911 near Didsbury, d.Jan. 13, 2012 Kitchener (see her KW Record obit. of Tues., Jan. 17, 2012 (including photo) : "Toogood, Mildred 1911-2012 - Mildred Lucille (Levagood) Toogood passed away peacefully on Jan. 13, 2012 at the Sunshine Centre, Luther Village on the Park. Beloved wife of the late Arthur Frank Toogood (1995), she is dearly missed by her son Robert (Ardith), grandchildren John Toogood (Donna Duncan) and Ariane Watts (Christopher) and gr-grandchildren Ethan and Chalcedony Watts. Born on May 11, 1911 in Didsbury, Alberta, she taught in rural schools before partnering with her husband in their travel business, Alberta Recreational Tours. After moving to Unionville, Ontarion in 1939, she worked at the Scarborough war plant untikl their trips resumed in 1946, taking her across North America for decades and to destinations around the world. In her 100th year, she published her memoirs of their travels. Mildred taught gerontology courses for several years at Humber College in Toronto and served on many boards including the provincial Home and School, Markham and District Hospital, Unionville Library and Unionville Retirement Village. Music was alifelong passion. She organized and conducted Community orchestras, taught piano and violin, accompanied choirs, played organ at home and in church, and loved playing piano or piano-and-organ duets. She attended symphony concerts until her late nineties. Knitting, sewing, crocheting, tatting and other crafts and activities offered hours of enjoyment..."); and another daughter who may be still living
3. Ira Delbert Levagood b.Nov. 11, 1885, d.1972; married Sylvia ___ b.1891, d.1937 (see transcript of Didsbury Cemetery)
4. Roy Ervin Levagood b.Jul 19, 1888 d.1951, Benton City, Benton Co., Washington
- [S3] Book - Vol I A Biographical History of Waterloo Township and other townships of the county : being a history of the early settlers and their descendants, mostly all of Pennsylvania Dutch origin..., 812.
- [S3231] Find A Grave, https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/117849511/lovina-biehn-levagood.
- [S6] Church Records - ON, Waterloo - Bindeman, F. W. - Card Index Kitchener Public Library.
Benjamin Hunschberger aged 21 res. Wilmot Twp. born Wilmot Twp. son of William Hunschberger and Fanny Hallman to Esther Bean aged 17 res Wilmot Twp. born Wilmot Twp. daughter of Moses Bean and Mary M. Dettweiler. married 29 Jul 1860.
- [S7] News - ON, Waterloo, Kitchener - Berliner Journal (1859-1917), 16 Aug 1860.
29 Jul 1860 By Rev. Bindemann, Benjamin Hunschberger was married to Esther Bean, both of Wilmot.
- [S5] Vit - - ON, Waterloo - 1858-1869 Marriage Register.
Benjamin Hunchberger Birth Place: Wilmot Township Residence: Wilmot Township Age: 21 Estimated Birth Year: abt 1839 Father Name: William Mother Name: Fanny Hallman Spouse Name: Esther Bean Spouse's Age: 17 Spouse Estimated Birth Year: abt 1843 Spouse Birth Place: Wilmot Township Spouse residence: Wilmot Township Spouse Father Name: Morris Spouse Mother Name: Marg Dettweriler Marriage Date: 29 Jul 1860 Marriage County: Waterloo