Waterloo Region Generations
A record of the people of Waterloo Region, Ontario.

Rev. Immanuel "Im" Wurster

Male 1825 - 1893  (68 years)


Personal Information    |    Notes    |    Sources    |    Event Map    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name Immanuel "Im" Wurster 
    Prefix Rev. 
    Born 18 Feb 1825  Böblingen, Baden-Württemberg, Germany Find all individuals with events at this location  [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
    Gender Male 
    Occupation 1852  Waterloo Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [1
    minister 
    Church Membership 1860  Peace Lutheran Church, Breslau, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location 
    • Peace Lutheran Church

      Begun: c.1860 Closed: c.1927

      The Lutheran congregation in Breslau is reported to have been organized c.1860 by Pastor Immanuel Wurster of St. Peter's Lutheran Church in Preston, who served there from 1854-1881. Pastor Wurster also organized the Lutheran congregations in Hespeler and Shantz Station at about the same time. A church, which was built in 1885, was located on the south side of Mill Street in Breslau. The building was still there in 1969, in use as a residence.1a

      1aAmbrose, Rosemary. Waterloo County Churches A Research Guide to Churches Established Before 1900. Kitchener, Ontario, Canada: Waterloo-Wellington Branch, Ontario Genealogical Society, 1993. [used the kind permission of Rosemary Ambrose 2011]
    Name Immanuel Wurster 
    Occupation 1861  Preston (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [5
    Minister 
    Residence 1861  Preston (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [5
    Lutheran 
    Occupation 1871  Preston (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [2
    Minister 
    Occupation 1881  Preston (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [4
    Minister 
    Occupation 1891  Preston (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [6
    Minister 
    Residence 1891  Preston (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [6
    Lutheran 
    Eby ID Number Waterloo-351088 
    Died 24 Apr 1893  Preston (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [3, 8
    Cause: Cause: Cancer of Liver (9 months) 
    Buried Preston Cemetery, Cambridge, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [3, 7
    Person ID I351088  Generations
    Last Modified 24 Sep 2022 

    Father Christian H. Wurster,   b. 1758,   d. 5 Jun 1845  (Age 87 years) 
    Mother Christiana Huttner,   b. CALC 6 Aug 1806,   d. 20 Feb 1879  (Age ~ 72 years) 
    Family ID F251602  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family 1 Barbara C. Huether,   b. 1831, , Germany Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown 
    Children 
     1. Caroline Salome Wurster,   b. 1862, , Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown
     2. Emmanuel John Wurster,   b. 1867, , Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown
    Last Modified 24 Sep 2022 
    Family ID F250203  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family 2 Carolina Huttner,   b. 20 May 1832, , France Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 27 Sep 1908, Preston (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 76 years) 
    Children 
     1. Jacob Wurster,   b. CALC 5 Oct 1852, Waterloo City, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 28 Sep 1923, Preston (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age ~ 70 years)
     2. Frederick George Wurster,   b. CALC 11 Nov 1854, Waterloo City, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 11 Oct 1918, Galt (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age ~ 63 years)
     3. Christian Wurster,   b. 1857, Waterloo Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown
     4. Charles Wurster,   b. 1860, , Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown
     5. Caroline "Carrie" Wurster,   b. CALC 8 Sep 1862, Preston (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 23 Dec 1929, Galt (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age ~ 67 years)
     6. Emmanuel Wurster,   b. 24 Sep 1867, Waterloo Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown
    Last Modified 24 Sep 2022 
    Family ID F251603  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Notes 
    • Peace Lutheran Church

      The Lutheran congregation in Breslau is reported to have been organized c.1860 by Pastor Immanuel Wurster of St. Peter's Lutheran Church in Preston, who served there from 1854-1881. Pastor Wurster also organized the Lutheran congregations in Hespeler and Shantz Station at about the same time. A church, which was built in 1885, was located on the south side of Mill Street in Breslau. The building was still there in 1969, in use as a residence.

      Waterloo County Churches A Research Guide To Churches Established Before 1900 By Rosemary Ambrose

      ___________________________________

      St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church

      It is believed that a congregation was formed in the 1850s and that services were held in the Free Church, Bridgeport (built in 1848) prior to 1861 when the congregation's first pastor, the Rev. Jacob Hoelsche (1861-1873), began his ministry. The congregation was regularly organized at that time. Services and Sunday School continued to be held in the Free Church. Rev. Hoelsche was followed by Revs. J.L. Rau (1876-1878) and A.R. Schultz (1878-1882) who were from Elmira, and by Rev. Immanuel Wurster from Preston, 1882-1887.

      A church was built at 606 Lancaster Street in 1889; consecration of the new building was held on July 22, 1889. The congregation was on the Conestogo-Breslau Circuit at the time. The church was enlarged considerably in 1939 with basement renovations and the construction of an addition to the back of the church. Dedication for this major task was on October 1, 1939.

      The 80th Anniversary of the founding of the organization of the congregation was celebrated on October 19, 1941 with the dedication of a new entrance to the church. Land on Waterloo Road (now Bridgeport Road) was purchased in 1949, with plans to build a newer and larger church. It was not until May 27, 1956 that a ground-breaking ceremony was held to signal the beginning of construction of the new church. The cornerstone was laid July 15, 1956, and on March 31, 1957 the new church was offically opened and consecrated by Dr. A.G. Jacobi, President of the Canada Synod. Final services had been held in the old church one week before, on March 24, 1957. (The old church building had been advertised for sale on February 9, 1957.)

      According to Eylands (1945: 92) the church at one time was joined in a parish with St. James in St. Jacobs, and St. Matthew's, Conestogo. Of interest: The hand which was on the steeple of the old church is now on the former Freeport United Church which was relocated in 1962 to Doon Heritage Crossroads.

      Waterloo County Churches A Research Guide To Churches Established Before 1900 By Rosemary Ambrose

      _______________________________

      St. James Evangelical Lutheran Church

      A first Lutheran service was held by Rev. Jacob Hoelsche from St. Peter's Lutheran Church, Preston in 1854 in a non-denominational community meeting house located on Cooper Street. Rev. Hoelsche resigned in the same year. Services were held over the following years by various pastors, sometimes those from other denominations. The congregation was formally organized in 1860 by the Rev. Immanuel Wurster, also from Preston, who became the first pastor, serving St. James in a joint Parish with the Preston church. He continued in this capacity for the next twenty-one years, until his resignation on December 1, 1881.

      Continuing growth of the congregation made necessary a building with more space. A decision was made on July 26, 1866 at a congregational meeting held in the community meeting house to build a church. The congregation met to choose a building plan for the new stone church on July 15, 1867. Rev. Wurster officiated at the laying of the cornerstone for the church on August 25, 1867. The building was completed in October 1868 and dedicated on November 1, 1868. It was a plain structure at first - the wooden spire was added in 1884.

      The congregation, known at first as St. Jacobs German Lutheran Evangelical Church of Hespeler and Vicinity, was served from Preston until December 4, 1886 when the first pastor, Rev. E. Littwien, was called. At that time, the connection with Preston was severed; the parish then was made up of St. James, and the churches at Shantz Station and Breslau. A parsonage was built on Harvey Street in 1892, to be replaced in 1965 by a new one on Elizabeth Street. In 1912 Hespeler became a parish on its own, and in 1913 English-language services were begun. German services were discontinued entirely in 1934. The Church Hall was built in the newly excavated basement of the church in 1947; dedication services for this major task were held on December 14, 1947. The congregation celebrated the 125th Anniversary of the present church building on Sunday, October 18, 1992.

      Waterloo County Churches A Research Guide To Churches Established Before 1900 By Rosemary Ambrose

      _______________________________

      St. Peter's Evangelical Lutheran Church

      The congregation was organized on December 1, 1834 by the Rev. F.W. Bindemann (1834-1838). Worship services were held in homes and barns until the Lutheran Rudel brothers erected a stone building for this purpose at the corner of what is now Queenston Road and Montrose Street. The premises were also made available to other congregations when they were first established in Preston. Land for a Lutheran church was purchased in 1837 and a frame church was built in 1839 on King Street on the site of the present St. Peter's. This fifty foot by forty foot church with its sixty foot tower was Preston's first church, called Christ Church, and was free for the use of all denominations. The building was used until replaced by the present-day stone church. The cornerstone for the new church was laid on August 21, 1887. The old frame church had been relocated before then to a lot on the corner of Queen and Church Streets where the congregation worshipped until the new stone church was ready for consecration in 1889. Weekly evening services in the English language began at that time.

      A new parsonage was built in 1913 on land behind the church, and renovations and improvements have been made to the interior of the church over the years. A new Christian Education wing was built in 1957 (cornerstone: January 27, 1957) and dedicated in 1958. Pastors who followed F.W. Bindemann were Revs. J. Huettner (1838-1849) who was the first regular pastor, F. Hildebrandt (1849-1850), Jacob Hoelsche (1850-1854), and Rev. Immanuel Wurster who served the congregation from 1854-1881. Rev. Wurster also ministered to St. James Evangelical Lutheran Church in Hespeler.

      Waterloo County Churches A Research Guide To Churches Established Before 1900 By Rosemary Ambrose

      ___________________________

      Shantz Station Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church

      As the congregation was not organized until 1860, Lutherans from the area worshipped at the Lutheran Church in Preston from c.1855. Rev. Immanuel Wurster of St. Peter's Lutheran Church, Preston, conducted the first service in Shantz Station on February 5, 1860 in a school about one mile west of the community. Formal organization of the congregation was on March 25, 1860 by Rev. Wurster. A church was built two years later in 1862 on a half acre of land (German Company Tract, part lot 85) donated by John Galt of the Canada Company. There were 58 charter members listed as of 1862. Of interest is the fact that the church once had a steeple. It was demolished in an electrical storm in 1904 and was rebuilt only to be destroyed again in 1930 by lightning. It was not rebuilt after that.

      In 1885 the congregation split from the Canada Synod and joined the Missouri Synod, only to return to the Canada Synod in the spring of 1891. From 1912-1934 Trinity was served by pastors and students from Waterloo College. Rev. Otto Lincke of the College was pastor from 1912-1919, students preached from 1919-1922, and Rev. Professor Henry L. Henkel also from Waterloo College was pastor from 1922-1934. The congregation was joined in a parish with St. Paul's Lutheran Church in Guelph from 1937-1981, and has been on its own since that association ended in 1981.

      Pastors who followed Rev. Wurster (1860-1869) were Revs. C.F.A. Kaessmann (February 1869 to October 1869), Hermann Sagehorn (1869-1872), Immanuel Wurster, for the second time (1872-1885), and Peter Andres (1885-1890)..

      Waterloo County Churches A Research Guide To Churches Established Before 1900 By Rosemary Ambrose


      ________________________

      German Evangelical Lutheran Church

      A congregation, to be known as the German Evangelical Lutheran Congregation in Strasburg, was formed in 1844 by Rev. Wendlin Schuler. The first church (of logs) was built in 1847 or 1848 just south of the Bleams Road intersection. A cemetery adjacent to the church was first used in 1850.

      The congregation was formally organized by Rev. Immanuel Wurster in April, 1857. It was part of a Parish with St. James in Mannheim, St. James in New Dundee, St. Matthew's in Plattsville and St. John's in Berlin, as each was established; the congregation later, on April 1, 1893 became affiliated with only St. James, Mannheim. The old church building was dismantled and removed in 1905.

      Waterloo County Churches A Research Guide To Churches Established Before 1900 By Rosemary Ambrose

      _________________________

      St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church

      The congregation was founded in 1837 by Rev. F.W. Bindemann, pastor of St. Paul's Lutheran Church, Kitchener; early services were held in homes or other suitable meeting places. Property for the first church building was purchased from Jacob C. Snider for 5 shillings (approximately $1.25). The cornerstone was laid in the spring of 1838 and dedication services in the new church at 72 King Street North in Waterloo were held in the fall of the same year. Rev. Bindemann was pastor. He was replaced in 1841 by Rev. Jacob Huettner of Preston who then ministered to both congregations. When the church's first membership list was compiled on October 24, 1841, the congregation numbered sixteen persons.

      The frame church was destroyed by fire and replaced by a new, larger one in 1883. This, too, was destroyed by fire - on October 31, 1959. The congregation then built a new stone church at a new location on Willow Street, with dedication taking place on October 14, 1962.

      Early pastors except for Rev. Bindemann (1837-1841), who was asked to resign in 1841, were Revs. J. Huettner (1841-1849), F.A. Peifer, Immanuel Wurster (1851-1855), and Jacob Hoelsche who began his ministry in 1855. Rev. Wurster ministered to St. Peter's Lutheran Church in Preston jointly with St. John's for one year until assuming charge of only Preston in 1855.

      Waterloo County Churches A Research Guide To Churches Established Before 1900 By Rosemary Ambrose

  • Sources 
    1. [S131] Census - ON, Waterloo, Waterloo Twp. - 1851, Div 3 pg 139.

    2. [S105] Census - ON, Waterloo, Preston - 1871, Pg 29.

    3. [S239] Cemetery - ON, Waterloo, Cambridge - Preston CC#6335 Cemetery Internet Link .
      Hier ruhet in Frieden/ Pastor/ im WURSTER/ geb. 18 Febr. 1825/ in Boblingen Wurtenberg/ Deuschland/ gest. 24 April 1893/ un Alter von/ 68 Jahren 2 Mon./ und 6 Tagr./ Verse/ His wife/ Carolina HUTTNER/ died Sept 27, 1908/ in her 77th year.

    4. [S297] Census - ON, Waterloo, Preston - 1881, Page 57.

    5. [S1473] Census - ON, Waterloo, Preston - 1861, Div. 2 Page 26.

    6. [S2441] Census - ON, Waterloo, Preston - 1891, Section 1 Page 21.

    7. [S239] Cemetery - ON, Waterloo, Cambridge - Preston CC#6335 Cemetery Internet Link .
      [Footstone] Christian/ [Left Side] Hier Ruhet In Frieden/ Pastor/ Im Wurster/ Geb. 18 Febr. 1825/ In Boblingen Wurtenberg/ Deuschland/ Gest. 24 April 1893/ Un Alter Von/ 68 Jahren 2 Mon./ Und 6 Tagr./ Verse/ His Wife/ Carolina Huttner/ Died Sept 27, 1908/ In Her 77th Year.

    8. [S116] Vit - ON - Death Registration.
      Name:Reed Immanuel Wurster Gender:Male Birth Year:abt 1825 Birth Place:Boblington Wurtemburg, Deu Age at Death:68 Death Date:24 Apr 1893 Death Place:Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

  • Event Map
    Link to Google MapsBorn - 18 Feb 1825 - Böblingen, Baden-Württemberg, Germany Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsOccupation - minister - 1852 - Waterloo Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsOccupation - Minister - 1861 - Preston (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsResidence - Lutheran - 1861 - Preston (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsOccupation - Minister - 1871 - Preston (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsOccupation - Minister - 1881 - Preston (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsOccupation - Minister - 1891 - Preston (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsResidence - Lutheran - 1891 - Preston (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsDied - Cause: Cause: Cancer of Liver (9 months) - 24 Apr 1893 - Preston (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsBuried - - Preston Cemetery, Cambridge, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
     = Link to Google Earth