Waterloo Region Generations
A record of the people of Waterloo Region, Ontario.
Sheriff George Davidson, Esq.

Sheriff George Davidson, Esq.[1, 2, 3]

Male 1814 - 1881  (66 years)

Personal Information    |    Media    |    Notes    |    Sources    |    Event Map    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name George Davidson 
    Prefix Sheriff 
    Suffix Esq. 
    Born 14 May 1814  , Aberdeen, Scotland Find all individuals with events at this location  [4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
    Gender Male 
    Immigration 1835  , Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [11
    Residence 1836  Woolwich Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [12
    Occupation 1842  Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [13
    Postmaster 
    Elected Office 1850  Waterloo Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location 
    councillor - Waterloo Township 
    Occupation 1852  Waterloo Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [14
    Mill & General Merchant 
    Occupation 1856  Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [15
    sheriff 
    Occupation 1861  Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [16
    sheriff 
    Occupation 1871  Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [8
    Sheriff 
    Residence 1871  Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [8
    Presbyterian 
    Residence 1873  Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [2
    Occupation 1881  , Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [10
    Sherif of Waterloo County 
    Occupation 1881  Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [7
    Sheriff 
    Residence 1881  Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [7
    Presbyterian 
    Died 27 Apr 1881  Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [9, 10
    Cause: Bronchitis 2 weeks 
    Hall of Fame - Waterloo Region Bef 2012  , Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [17
    Land Waterloo Township - Biehn's Tract Lot 10, Waterloo County, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Land Waterloo Township - Biehn's Tract Lot 12, Waterloo County, Ontario Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Residence 97 Frederick St., Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location 
    • Reminiscences of Berlin by Jacob Stroh, an article published by the Waterloo Historical Society in its 1930 volume, says this:

      "On the corner, now occupied by Dr. Honsberger's residence, (there was) a two story brick building, for some time the residence of Sheriff (George) Davidson. Before that, 1840 -1860, Jacob Kramer occupied the building as a tavern."1a

      1aJon Fear 30 Mar 2012. The Waterloo Region Record
    Residence New Aberdeen (Kitchener), Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Residence 301 Charles St. E., Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Home of Sheriff George Davidson, Cameron Heights Collegiate Institute was built on this site in 1967.
    Home of Sheriff George Davidson, Cameron Heights Collegiate Institute was built on this site in 1967.
    Forest Hill, home of Sheriff George Davidson, Berlin, Ontario. (2019). Vitacollections.ca. Retrieved 20 April 2019, from https://vitacollections.ca/kpl-gsr/3509121/data?n=52
    Eby ID Number Waterloo-75381 
    Buried Mount Hope Cemetery, Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [9
    Person ID I75381  Generations
    Last Modified 16 Oct 2021 

    Father Davidson,   b. Abt 1775, Of, Aberdeen, , Aberdeen, Scotland Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown 
    Mother Margaret,   b. 1776, Of, Aberdeen, , Aberdeen, Scotland Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 24 Jun 1866, Aberdeen, , Aberdeen, Scotland Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 90 years) 
    Family ID F23702  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family Margaret Garden,   b. 31 Aug 1811, Aberdeen, , Aberdeen, Scotland Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 24 Jan 1894, Toronto, York Co., Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 82 years) 
    Married 27 Jun 1836  Hamilton, Wentworth Co., Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [12, 16
    Children 
     1. John Bayne Davidson,   d. 7 Sep 1848
     2. Margaret Davidson,   b. 26 Nov 1839, Bridgeport (Kitchener), Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 17 Jan 1900, Glasgow, , Lanark, Scotland Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 60 years)
     3. Elizabeth Davidson,   b. 5 Dec 1843, Waterloo Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 31 Jan 1928  (Age 84 years)
     4. George Davidson, Jr.,   b. 25 Jan 1844, New Aberdeen (Kitchener), Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 24 Oct 1916, Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 72 years)
     5. William Davidson,   b. 1845, Waterloo Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown
     6. Robert Gordon Davidson,   b. 1851, Waterloo Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown
     7. Alexander Davidson,   b. 1854, Waterloo Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown
     8. Davidson,   b. 30 Jun 1856, Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 30 Jun 1856, Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 0 years)
    Last Modified 16 Oct 2021 
    Family ID F19748  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Photos
    https://www.region.waterloo.on.ca/web/region.nsf/0/B5D7AA89B6C49CEF85256B06004AEEF5?OpenDocument
    https://www.region.waterloo.on.ca/web/region.nsf/0/B5D7AA89B6C49CEF85256B06004AEEF5?OpenDocument

  • Notes 
    • The Free Church branch, having no church building, held their services in the stone schoolhouse, now part of the residence of Mrs. Andrew Brown. The summer services were conducted largely by students of Knox College. Probably the winter services were carried on by themselves. I am told that Mr. Wm. Gerrie, Sr., was a good preacher and Mr. George (Sheriff) Davidson also belonged to that party. The Free Church building, known latterly as "the lecture room", was built in 1848 by William Mitchell as carpenter and George Cummings as mason. The deed for the lot was given by G. Davidson to William Mitchell, George Cummings, and Jas. Adamson, as trustees for the congregation, on the eighth day of March, 1852, for the sum of five shillings currency (about one dollar of our money). This was the first piece of real estate that became the possession of either congregation.

      A Few Notes on the Early History of Chalmers' Church, Winterbourne" by Rev. A. M. Hamilton, M. A.

      ________________________

      About the year 1854 an effort was made in connection with a new congregation started in Berlin, largely through the influence of Sheriff Davidson, he had removed there about the year 1843 to obtain a pastor over the two congregations During 1855 and part of 1856 ministers of the Presbytery gave supply, and from October 1856 Rev. A. Constable Geikie preached to the two congregations. A call was prepared for him June 28th, 1857, but the Woolwich people were not satisfied with the arrangements for services, so the union was dissolved and Woolwich stood alone again. Both congregations got up a call for Mr. Geikie, but being invited by the celebrated Dr. Bayne, of Galt, to be his helper and successor in Knox Church of that town, he accepted and had just removed and got settled there when one Sabbath morning Dr. Bayne died very suddenly, and the congregation of Knox Church, Galt, refused to carry out the arrangements, so Mr. Geikie removed to Australia and became one of the great leaders of the church there and passed away a few years ago. Returning to the other branch of the church, St. Andrew's, Woolwich, we have the Session Records to guide us in tracing the history. On Oct. 17th, 1854, the Presbytery of Hamilton met in the church, composed of Rev. J. C. Gibson (Galt), Rev. Kenneth MacLennan and Rev. Cohn Gregor (Guelph), for the purpose of inducting the Rev. James Shour. The elders present were George Loggie, James Burnett and William Smith, all belonging to St. Andrew's, Woolwich, of whom George Loggie and James Burnett were new members of the Session and had been chosen and ordained during the vacancy. The Rev Mr. Gibson preached from 1 Cor. 3: 9 'Ye are gods', and after the usual vows had been accepted by the Rev. Mr. Shour he was addressed by the Rev. Mr. Gregor and the people by Rev. Mr. MacLennan. The Rev. Mr. Shour was a man of short stature and thick set build, kindly and quiet in his manner. He was educated in Glasgow, Scotland, was ordained and inducted into the charge of Three Rivers, Quebec, in 1844 and in 1854 into the charge of St. Andrew's, Woolwich. At his settlement the families connected with the congregation were 40, the communicants 56, scholars in Sabbath school 100, teachers 11 and one bible class. Half the families that supported and attended the services of the church were Episcopalians. The arrangement for services were Sabbath school to be held at ten on Sabbath morning, public service at eleven with occasional evening services, prayer meetings in private houses each week alternately on each side of the Grand River.

      A Few Notes on the Early History of Chalmers' Church, Winterbourne" by Rev. A. M. Hamilton, M. A.

      _______________

      George Davidson, who came to Canada in 1835 and bought and improved 200 acres of partially cleared land at Winterbourne, had several claims to distinction. He became the first sheriff of Waterloo County (1853-1881), the first postmaster of Berlin (1842) and was one of three men who, in the old schoolhouse adjacent to the village hall, organized St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church in Berlin.

      At New Aberdeen, six miles to the southwest of Berlin, he bought a farm of 500 acres, built a sawmill and a grist mill, and opened a store. He later returned to Berlin where he performed his duties as sheriff. He was also a township and County councillor and a school trustee.

      Davidson's church interests led to the organization of Chalmers Church, Winterbourne, in 1837, and the holding of mission services in Berlin. He was also Lieutenant-Colonel of the 2nd Battery, Waterloo Militia

      The Waterloo Region Hall of Fame

      ________________

      King Street, Kitchener


      Next easterly were the foundry buildings of Huber & Ahrens, operated from 1840 to 1853. There were four separate buildings, 30 or 40 feet back from the King Street line. In the moulding shop, Mr. Stroh remembers seeing the glittering metal run out from the cupola, at casting time, when he was a boy. The woodworking and power building was a two-storey brick structure with a smoke stack about 50 feet high. The second floor of the building was used for painting and finishing. On the Foundry Street side there was an outside stairway and incline to let down finished machinery. A third building was used for making agricultural machines, threshing cylinders and ploughs. Separators were not made at that time. Near Foundry Street there was a two-storey building with gable toward King Street, used also for woodworking and for the office. In this building three pianos, the first to be made in Berlin, were turned out in 1852. These were upright pianos, hand-made all except the keyboard. The artisan was J. Maas and he made the pianos, one for Charles Ahrens, one for Henry S. Huber and one for Charles Hendry of Conestoga. This latter building was later moved alongside of Winger's pump shop and used as a cigar factory for a time; eventually it was converted into a dwelling. The moulding shop of the foundry was later used as an ashery. After Mr. Ahrens died in 1853 the foundry buildings were sold by auction to Sheriff Davidson who owned them for a number of years.

      REMINISCENCES OF BERLIN (NOW KITCHENER) By JACOB STROH Contributed by Joseph M. Snyder.

      Part I. Settlement - Early Villagers and Buildings, Waterloo Historical Society Annual Volume 1930

      _____________________

      King Street, Kitchener

      Cameron Street eastward.-A fine large holding extending along King Street to almost opposite the Mennonite Church, was Sheriff Davidson's place, Forest Hill, with square Colonial brick house, still standing, although materially changed, on a commanding hill.

      Benjamin Eby's farm, occupied and owned later by his son, Elias Eby. J. Y. Shantz's farm, originally the Eby farm, with a large dam and saw mill. The pond was westerly of the present Doon Twines factory, was of good size, was fed by two creeks and gave water power for Shantz's saw mill for many years. There was no steam power. The ice supply for Berlin was largely taken from this pond in the earlier years.


      REMINISCENCES OF BERLIN (NOW KITCHENER)
      By JACOB STROH Contributed by Joseph M. Snyder.

      Part I. Settlement - Early Villagers and Buildings, Waterloo Historical Society Annual Volume 1930

      ________________

      King Street , North Side

      Queen St. North.

      On the corner there was a frame building lengthwise with King Street, occupied by J. U. Tyson, dealer in groceries, wines, liquors and meats, erected about 1833. In 1841 Sheriff George Davidson bought this building and in it opened the first Post Office in 1842. His brother William was associated with him. Probably during 1845 Doering & Ahrens occupied the premises as a general store. A little later the firm was Huber & Ahrens. Mr. Huber acted as magistrate for a number of years, in which occupation he was popular and had much to do, people coming from small surrounding villages to Mr. Huber for fair trial. He was the second reeve in Berlin.

      Next came a barber shop occupied by George A. Fischer who also served as dentist and as fruit dealer.

      A house erected by C. A. Ahrens of Huber and Ahrens. Mr. Ahrens had a brick vault at the back of his kitchen, lined with an iron chest and considered fire proof. He was the first treasurer of Waterloo County and had this vault for safe keeping of his books and papers. The house was later occupied by Dr. Mylius.

      Louis Breithaupt, who came from Buffalo in 1861 after having started his tanning business in Berlin in 1857, previously bought the corner of King and Queen Streets, and erected there the first section of the American Block in 1862.

      Next to the Dr. Mylius house there was a two story brick building erected about 1855. It was occupied by Baedeker and Steubing who had a considerable business as book sellers and stationers, also as dealers in wallpaper, etc., besides doing some publishing. This business, moved later to the corner of King and Frederick Streets, continued until Mr. Steubing's death.

      In his younger years Mr. Baedeker was a carpenter and had cut his knee with an adze, necessitating amputation and substitution of a cork leg.

      On the site of the present Steel's store, George Davidson, later sheriff, erected a building in 1845 and moved the Post Office there when Doering and Ahrens occupied the corner store. Mr. Davidson also had a general store in this new building. About 1855 Kranz & Stroh occupied the building as a general store.

      Next came a building occupied at first by George Klein and later the site of Henry Knell's jewelery shop.

      John Winger's pump shop. Wooden pipe called pump logs were of about ten-inch timber, tamarack or pine logs with a bore of about 3". The pumps were mostly finished square and surmounted with turned tops.

      A two story frame building painted white. John Winger's house. Eby's history mentions John Winger as having come from Pennsylvania in 1836.

      A ten-foot lane leading back to the Public School grounds and into Winger's yard. The highest ground in this vicinity was in Winger's yard. Children were in the habit of sliding down the hill in winter to King Street. In 1840 Mr. Bentler erected a building and occupied the second floor as dwelling and shoe shop. Martin Messner had a music store on the ground floor which was a few steps above the street level. In 1855-6 Andrew Nicolaus took over the Winger house and changed it to a hotel. The first considerable street grading operation in Berlin was the lowering of the corner of King and Frederick and vicinity 8 to 10 feet. This put the St. Nicholas Hotel, as it was called, under the necessity of being extended downward one story and this lower part became the hotel office and bar room. At the westerly end of the hotel there was a shed and stable for horses. Over the shed, approached by a stairway, there was a hall known as St. Nicholas Hall used for concerts, balls and entertainments generally. At the rear of the adjoining St. Nicholas Hall there was a building on the high ground known as the Turner Hall and used as German Turnverein.

      REMINISCENCES OF BERLIN (NOW KITCHENER) By JACOB STROH Contributed by Joseph M. Snyder.

      Part I. Settlement - Early Villagers and Buildings, Waterloo Historical Society Annual Volume 1930

      _______________________________

      Frederick Street, East Side.

      On the corner Millar's store and at its rear a warehouse belonging to it, a two story building with gable toward Frederick Street.

      A vacant lot, site of the present Market Building, surrounded by a six foot hoard fence, customary in those days to keep out cattle, which had the freedom of the streets. A one and one-half story frame building with porch in front occupied by Mr. Yeck who died of being bled by a layman when he was Dr. Scott's patient. A man Geiger married the widow and lived in the building.

      A small frame building occupied by Geo. Schmidt.

      A small frame building occupied by Wm. Stein.

      A two story frame building with a small portico painted white over the front door, the house occupied by Thomas Pierce, then Principal of the Central School and later by Herman Rathman.

      On the corner [97 Frederick St.], now occupied by Dr. Honsberger's residence, a two story brick building for some time the residence of Sheriff Davidson. Before that, 1840-1860, Jacob Kramer occupied the building as a tavern. Kramer was known as Strumpf Weber (stocking weaver) from a former occupation in a shop on Oueen Street S.

      Weber Street. On the corner a large brick building erected by Christian Enslin about 1855 with veranda along the entire Frederick Street front and on it a narrow gallery at the second floor. The building is still in use for stores with the veranda removed. At one time it was occupied as a tavern.

      A one and one-half story frame building lengthwise with Frederick St. On the easterly corner of what is now Spetz St., a two story brick building, set back somewhat from the street, the house of Peter Rebscher. It had a large sign, "Peter Rebscher Brewer"; in the rear was the brewery, a two story frame building, and a large barn. A later brewer was Jacob Summer and after him, in 1862, Joseph Spetz had the house and brewery until he died.

      A vacant lot belonging to John Roth and later to Simon Roy who used it as a nursery for shrubs and rare trees.

      The old Central School and grounds, the school now remodelled and greatly enlarged to the present handsome Suddaby School. The Central School building had a belfry on top with at first a small bell and later a larger one. Jacob Stroh rang this bell as long as he attended the Central School, later W. H. Breithaupt had this charge for a time.

      A frame building occupied by Yost Kimmel, a carpenter.

      REMINISCENCES OF BERLIN (NOW KITCHENER)
      By JACOB STROH Contributed by Joseph M. Snyder.

      Part I. Settlement - Early Villagers and Buildings, Waterloo Historical Society Annual Volume 1930

      ___________________

      Queen to Benton Street.-A few feet back of King Street and about 15 feet from South Queen Street was a vaulted cellar built of field stone by Peter Rebscher [William?] in 1838-39. In 1855 Sheriff Davidson [George Davison] bought this cellar from Paul Schmidt [Paul Schmitt 1808-1862]. He erected a frame building extending from the corner, partly using material brought from a former building at New Aberdeen, a village about five and one-half miles southwest of Berlin, where he had also a store business. Jacob Stroh helped to lath the building, receiving 75c as a day's wage. The new building was called The California Block and contained several stores. George Davidson, son of the Sheriff, occupied the corner store as a Grocery and Dry Goods business. Next there was a shed with outside stairway leading to a dance hall above it. The shed was used by the guests of Schmidt's Tavern known as the banners Inn. In the rear of the shed there was a brewery operated William Rebscher, who started to brew about 1830. The process of the Rebscher brewery was to soak the grain for 24 hours, then spread it on the cellar floor and shift it around until it commenced to sprout, after which it was carried upstairs again and put into a dry-kiln about 20 x 20 feet in size, the grain being on screens exposed to the heat coming from below. The dry malt was crushed and ground between iron rollers turned by hand. Later on a steam engine supplied the required power. Mr. Rebscher had this brewery until about 1855, when he moved to Frederick Street on Spetz Street.

      Sheriff Davidson bought the shed and converted it into two stores. One of these was occupied by Conrad Schmidt who sold wines, liquors, groceries and hardware. Yost Kimmel had a meat shop under the stores.

      Next came an open space and a well and next to that a building which was used 1830 to 1835 as a church by a body known as Mifferites whose main article of belief was that the world was coming to an end in 1835. Many of the Millerites, faithful to their belief, sold their properties and household effects. The building was about 1840 occupied by Paul Schmidt, as the Farmer's Inn already spoken of.

      Next came an alleyway and next to that William Moore's general store. Mr. Moore's residence was next to his store. Later on it had a clock factory on the second floor for a short time Next came a three-story building erected in 1860 and next to that no building for a long time until the Boehmer Block was erected. This had a clock factory on the second floor for a short time. Next came a building occupied by Mr. Hymmen, erected between 1850 and 1855. The building was painted a buff color and occupied as a bakery. In 1860, E. R. Hayne had a bakery and confectionery store in the Hymmen building. Next came a two-story frame building located on the site of the westerly half of the present Post Office and occupied by William, David and Frederick Miller as the first general store in Berlin. The location was opposite the end of Frederick Street. J. F. Kannengieser had a tailor shop and was also dealer in fancy goods in this building at one time. In 1860 Mr. and Mrs. John Albright occupied part of the building as a dressmaking and millinery shop. Later on Mr. Rooke had a lock and gunsmith shop on the street floor while his family lived above. There was a high board fence on the Benton Street line with balsam trees planted along the inside.

      REMINISCENCES OF BERLIN (NOW KITCHENER) By JACOB STROH Contributed by Joseph M. Snyder.

      Part I. Settlement - Early Villagers and Buildings, Waterloo Historical Society Annual Volume 1930

  • Sources 
    1. [S4] Vit - ON - Marriage Registration.
      Rosina Roos Born: Preston Waterloo Tp Age: 25 Father: Michael Roos Mother: Catherine Roos Born: abt 1846 Spouse: George Davidson Jr JR Age: 27 born: Canada Father: George Davidson Mother: Margaret Davidson married 20 Sep 1871

    2. [S7] News - ON, Waterloo, Kitchener - Berliner Journal (1859-1917), 23 Jan 1873.
      15 Jan 1873 By Reverend J. F. Dickie in Berlin, William Roos, of the Firm Geo. Randall and Co., Waterloo Village, was married to Elisabeth, youngest daughter of George Davidson, Esquire of Berlin, Upper Canada.

    3. [S4] Vit - ON - Marriage Registration, 012952-73.
      William Roos, 30, occ. Merchant, b. Canada, res. Waterloo Village, Widower, son of Michael Roos and Catharine Barnhardt married Elizabeth Davidson, 25, b. Canada, res. Berlin, daughter of George Davidson and Margaret Garden, witnessed by: Louise Beck of Baden and Robert Davidson of Guelph, 15 January 1873 in Berlin

    4. [S123] Census - ON, Waterloo, Berlin - 1861, Div 4 Pg 40.
      George Davidson Sheriff Scotland 47 FC
      Margaret, Mrs. Davidson Scotland 48 FC
      Margaret Davidson UC 22 FC
      George Davidson UC 17 FC
      William Davidson UC 15 FC
      Elizabeth Davidson UC 11 FC
      Robert Garden Davidson UC 9 FC
      Alexander Davidson UC 6 FC
      John, Mrs. Watson Scotland 50 FC resident of Toronto
      Lucretia Wait UC 25 FC resident of Toronto
      Elizabeth Burns House Servant Ireland 21 RC
      Mary Wagenhaust House Servant Germany 20 EV

    5. [S123] Census - ON, Waterloo, Berlin - 1861, Div 4 Pg 40.
      George Davidson Sheriff Scotland FC 47
      Margaret, Mrs. Davidson Scotland FC 48
      Margaret Davidson UC FC 22
      George Davidson UC FC 17
      William Davidson UC FC 15
      Elizabeth Davidson UC FC 11
      Robert Garden Davidson UC FC 9
      Alexander Davidson UC FC 6

      2 males absent, married in 1836

    6. [S131] Census - ON, Waterloo, Waterloo Twp. - 1851, Div 5 Pg 1.
      George DAVIDSON Mill & Gen. Merch Birthplace: Scotland Age 38
      G. Mrs. DAVIDSON Birthplace: Scotland Age 40
      Margaret DAVIDSON Birthplace: Canada Age 15
      George DAVIDSON Birthplace: Canada Age 8
      William DAVIDSON Birthplace: Canada Age 6
      Elizabeth DAVIDSON Birthplace: Canada Age 3
      Robert Gordon DAVIDSON Birthplace: Canada Age 1
      John DAVIDSON store clerk Birthplace: Scotland Age 22
      James ELMSLIE store clerk Birthplace: Canada Age 15
      Norah TURK Dom. Servant Birthplace: Ireland Age 19 Roman Catholic
      Margaret MCCLEU Dom. Servant Birthplace: Scotland Age 31

    7. [S158] Census - ON, Waterloo, Berlin - 1881, Div 1 Page 41.

    8. [S229] Census - ON, Waterloo, Berlin - 1871, Div. 2, Pg. 33.

    9. [S166] Cemetery - ON, Waterloo, Kitchener - Mount Hope CC#4508 Internet Link .
      In memory/ of/ George Davidson/ the first sheriff of the/ County of Waterloo/ born Aberdeen, Scotland/ May 14th 1814/ died Berlin, Ontario/ April 27th 1881/ Blessed are the pure in heart for they shall/ see God Matt. v:8/ and of/ his beloved wife/ Margaret Garden/ born Aberdeen Scotland/ August 31st 1811/ died Toronto Ontario/ January 24th 1894/ Arise, shine for thy light is come, and the glory/ of the Lord is risen upon thee Isa. 60: 1

    10. [S7] News - ON, Waterloo, Kitchener - Berliner Journal (1859-1917), 5 May 1881.
      27 Apr 1881 George Davidson, Sherif of Waterloo County, died in Berlin at age of 67 years. (longer obit.-p.4)

    11. [S527] Atlas - ON, Waterloo - 1881 - Illustrated Atlas of the County of Waterloo.
      Davidson, George, sheriff of the county. Is a native of Aberdeen, Scotland. Born, 1814. Came here, 1835.

    12. [S1193] Church Records - ON, Wentworth, Hamilton- Knox Presbyterian Church including St. Andrew's.
      Geo. Davidson of Woolwich to Margret Garden, (newly from Scotland Aberdeen) 27 Jun 1836 by banns, Wit. Honary Daniel, of Hamilton and Alexander Watt, of Nichol.

    13. [S1802] Post Offices and Postmasters - Waterloo Region Entries.
      Davidson, George Date of appointment: 1842-10-06 Place: Berlin, Ontario

    14. [S131] Census - ON, Waterloo, Waterloo Twp. - 1851, Div 5 Pg 1.

    15. [S14] News - ON, Waterloo, Kitchener - Berlin Chronicle (1856-1860), July 9, 1856.
      At Berlin, on the 30th June, Mrs. Sheriff Davidson, of a son, still-born

    16. [S123] Census - ON, Waterloo, Berlin - 1861, Div 4 Pg 40.

    17. [S220] Waterloo Region Hall of Fame Waterloo Region Hall of Fame.

  • Event Map
    Link to Google MapsBorn - 14 May 1814 - , Aberdeen, Scotland Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsImmigration - 1835 - , Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsResidence - 1836 - Woolwich Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsMarried - 27 Jun 1836 - Hamilton, Wentworth Co., Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsOccupation - Postmaster - 1842 - Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsElected Office - councillor - Waterloo Township - 1850 - Waterloo Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsOccupation - Mill & General Merchant - 1852 - Waterloo Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsOccupation - sheriff - 1856 - Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsOccupation - sheriff - 1861 - Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsOccupation - Sheriff - 1871 - Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsResidence - Presbyterian - 1871 - Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsResidence - 1873 - Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsOccupation - Sherif of Waterloo County - 1881 - , Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsOccupation - Sheriff - 1881 - Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsResidence - Presbyterian - 1881 - Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsDied - Cause: Bronchitis 2 weeks - 27 Apr 1881 - Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsHall of Fame - Waterloo Region - Bef 2012 - , Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsLand - - Waterloo Township - Biehn's Tract Lot 12, Waterloo County, Ontario Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsResidence - - 97 Frederick St., Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsResidence - - New Aberdeen (Kitchener), Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsBuried - - Mount Hope Cemetery, Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
     = Link to Google Earth