Waterloo Region Generations
A record of the people of Waterloo Region, Ontario.
Reinhold Lang

Reinhold Lang[1, 2, 3]

Male 1818 - 1883  (65 years)

Personal Information    |    Media    |    Notes    |    Sources    |    Event Map    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name Reinhold Lang 
    Born 3 Sep 1818  Waibstadt, , Baden-Württemberg, Germany Find all individuals with events at this location  [4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
    Gender Male 
    Immigration 1847  , Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [7
    Occupation 1852  Waterloo Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [12
    tanner 
    Elected Office 1859  Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location 
    councillor - Kitchener 
    • Years Served: 1859-61, 1865, 1874, 1877
    Occupation 1861  Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [6
    Tanner 
    Residence 1861  Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [6
    Roman Catholic 
    Occupation 1871  Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [10
    Tanner 
    Residence 1871  Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [10
    Roman Catholic 
    Possessions 1880  410 King St. W., Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [13
    • Sold to Bruno Schmidt
    Occupation 1881  Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [5
    Tanner 
    Residence 1881  Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [5
    Roman Catholic 
    Died 13 Oct 1883  Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [2, 7, 8, 11
    Cause: bladder infection 
    Historic Building 2006  151 Charles St. W., Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Lang Tannery redevelopment 
    Lang Tannery Redevelopment Proposal 2006
    Lang Tannery Redevelopment Proposal 2006
    www.thetannery.ca 2011
    Hall of Fame - Waterloo Region Bef 2012  , Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [14
    tanner 
    Eby ID Number Waterloo-75939P 
    Buried Mount Hope Cemetery, Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [11
    Person ID I75939  Generations
    Last Modified 9 Jan 2022 

    Father John Lang,   b. 1791, , Germany Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown 
    Mother Magaretha Wittman,   b. 1795, of, Waitstadt, Baden, Germany Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown 
    Family ID F38323  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family Barbara Vogt,   b. 10 Mar 1822, , Germany Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 29 Jan 1890, Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 67 years) 
    Married 9 Jun 1846  Mosbach, , Baden-Württemberg, Germany Find all individuals with events at this location  [15
    Children 
     1. Mary Margaret Lang,   b. 18 Jul 1849, Waterloo Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 25 Dec 1928, Berlin, , Berlin, Germany Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 79 years)
     2. William H. Lang,   b. 1851, Waterloo Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown
     3. George Charles Henry Lang,   b. 13 Aug 1851, Waterloo Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 15 Jul 1936, Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 84 years)
     4. Frederick F. Lang,   b. 1855, , Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. Yes, date unknown
     5. John Adolph Lang,   b. 1 Feb 1855, Waterloo Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 27 Aug 1926, Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 71 years)
     6. August Reinhold Lang,   b. 4 May 1857, Waterloo Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 1944  (Age 86 years)
     7. Joseph F. Lang,   b. CALC 25 Mar 1859, Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 28 Nov 1880, Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age ~ 21 years)
     8. ? Lang,   b. 1860, Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 1860, Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 0 years)
     9. Ida Lang,   b. CALC 30 May 1861, Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 9 Sep 1861, Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age ~ 0 years)
    Last Modified 10 Jan 2022 
    Family ID F21085  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Photos
    Reinhold Lang
    Reinhold Lang
    Reinhold Lang
    Reinhold Lang
    from Waterloo Region Hall of Fame

  • Notes 
    • The founder of The Lang Tanning Company Limited, Reinhold Lang, came to Berlin (now Kitchener) from a small village in the German Rhineland with his eldest son George, and established a small tannery in 1849. The tannery was located on Foundry (now Ontario) Street in Berlin, and was moved to an area between Wilmot (now Victoria) and Francis Streets after fire destroyed the original plant. This area was chosen because there was a natural spring there that could be used as water supply for the tannery. The Lang Tanning Company then went on to become the largest sole leather producer in the British Empire, and Reinhold Lang, who was also a member of the Berlin Council in 1859, became a prominent local citizen. During the First World War, Lang Tanning produced huge amounts of saddle material, and in the Second World War it supplied sole leather and leather linings for aircraft gasoline tanks. The company discontinued operations as a tannery in 1954 due to competition from synthetic materials, but kept its five-acre downtown site and complex of 35 buildings until 1974, when the property was sold to Ball Brothers Limited (a Kitchener contracting firm). In 1954, at the time that the Lang Tanning Company ceased operations, Jerome Lang was president, and Reinhold (Bun) Lang was Chairman of the Board. In 1974, at which time the President of the company was Reinhold (Bun) Lang, the company held a final meeting where they wound up business: the payment of bills, the disposition of assets, and the surrender of the 1917 charter to the Federal Government.

      University of Waterloo website rarebook collection (2009) https://www.lib.uwaterloo.ca/discipline/SpecColl/archives/LangTanning.html

      ________________________________-

      Digital hub to set up shop in Tannery building

      March 02, 2010 By Rose Simone, Record staff

      KITCHENER - It's official. The new centre that is being created to foster the development of the digital media economy in Waterloo Region will make its home in the redeveloped historic Lang Tannery building in downtown Kitchener. After months of speculation the centre would be a tenant in the Tannery building, it was officially announced today that The Communitech Hub: Digital Media and Mobile Accelerator, more commonly known as The Hub, will lease 30,000 square feet of space in the building at Victoria and Joseph streets.
      The building, owned by Toronto-based developer Candan, has been undergoing a massive $30-million redevelopment. The digital hub is expected to move in this summer.

      The centre will partly be an incubator to grow early stage companies that are developing new digital media products, said Kevin Tuer, vice-president of digital media for Communitech, a technology association in Waterloo Region. In addition to the 5,700 square feet of space devoted to the new enterprises, the centre will also have 3,000 square feet of "partner lab space" for large established technology companies, such as Christie Digital, Open Text, Agfa Healthcare and Research in Motion, Tuer said. They will use the space to showcase technologies and foster potential partnerships with the startups.

      "It is all about spurring innovation," said Tuer, also director of the Canadian Digital Medial Network. "The larger, established companies might give them a platform from which they can build out and roll out their products." "There is a lot of excitement building around the creation of an environment where some of these relationships can take hold," he said. "We are already getting interest in terms of companies willing to move in." Digital media is being broadly defined to include not just computer games and social media, but also digital tools that can help health care, finance, mineral exploration and other sectors collect, organize and visualize data.

      The centre will also be used for events. There will be space for speakers and meetings, state-of-the-art videoconferencing capabilities and experts on hand to help the new businesses grow. The digital media centre will open sometime this summer, Tuer said. It will operate using a similar model as the Accelerator Centre in the University of Waterloo Research and Development Park, Tuer said. The centre in Kitchener is part of a larger digital media hub that includes the University of Waterloo Stratford Institute in Stratford, which will graduate students who will work in digital media.

      The centre in Kitchener represents an investment of more than $100 million, Tuer said, with money and in-kind donations being pledged over the next five years by the Ontario and federal governments, the City of Kitchener and industry partners. Businesses will also pay a fee to have a space in the hub, Tuer said. "Our intent is to have it be self-sustaining." With the global digital media market expected to grow into a $2.2 trillion industry, the various levels of government are keen to have Canada and Ontario primed to grab part of that market. "I think this is the next step in our evolution," Tuer said.


      The Waterloo Record 2 Mar 2010

      _________________________________


      REINHOLD LANG, one of the oldest and most respected German inhabitants of the city of Berlin, died quite unexpectedly at 7 a.m. on Saturday morning of a bladder infection, from which he had been suffering for about a week. A native of Waibstadt, Baden, he emigrated to America with his wife in 1847, arrived in Berlin after a short stay in the United States, and began here the tanning business, on a small scale, on the spot where the Canadian Block now stands. After several years, he founded the present large tannery, which he has managed in recent times, together with his eldest son. A large number of friends and acquaintances, who had, in part, come from great distances, followed his funeral procession Tuesday, to the church and the graveside.

      BERLINER JOURNAL- October 18,1883. (p.4 - col. 1), translated by the Kitchener Public Library

      ____________________

      King Street , North Side

      From Francis to Water Street.

      The ground was used by H. F. J. Jackson for stabling, etc., on his contract for building the Grand Trunk Railway through a large part of Waterloo County. Later he built his residence on this plot.

      The plot east of Water Street was used as a drill ground by the Berlin Volunteer Company of the Waterloo Battalion, 1864-67. They mostly drilled in the evenings and had some quite young volunteers, Jacob Stroh, 16 years, one of them. The trustees of the New Jerusalem Church bought the corner in 1869 and in 1870 erected the present Church. This had the first pipe organ in Berlin, built by Claus Maas of Preston.

      Haller's hat and felt-working shop. He made the first felt boots and shoes, worn largely by the farmers, in winter, in this vicinity.

      Open space up to Henry Brickner's house.

      A frame building one and one-half story high and located a little back of the street. Later a brick building was erected on the open space. At the westerly corner of Young Street Mr. Bricker built a cooperage in 1860.

      At the easterly corner of Young and King Streets was Wendell Brunner's blacksmith shop, a rough frame building. Behind it, on Young Street, was another frame building used as a waggon shop by Christian Huinbrecht.

      Vacant place and next a three story brick building, lengthwise with King Street, divided into two parts, used as stores for a short time. Later it was a paint shop and still later a warehouse for the Simpson factory across the road. The third floor of this building was the first habitat of the Berlin Militia, organized in 1864 at the time of the American Civil War. Colonel Pickering was the first drill master. He was sent from England to drill the Canadian Militia. The local company had at first no rifles and had to use Wooden substitutes for their drills.

      A three story brick building erected by C. Schneucker and used as a hotel. The third floor was a large hall used for a number of years, for balls and concerts. Paul Schmidt moved into the building in 1860. It was then called the Schneucker and Schmidt Hotel. A later landlord was Mr. Zinger and the name was changed to The North American Hotel. Toward the rear and just east of the Hotel was a barn and horse shed, with wide approach from King Street.

      A one and one-half story frame house 15 or 20 feet back from the street line with gable and veranda facing King Street, occupied by Paul Schmidt and later by his widow.

      A very early building one and one-half story, rough cast; the dwelling of Sam Trout, a blacksmith. A later occupant was James Godbold, son of Godbold who lived on the corner of Wellington and King Streets. Jacob, son of James, brakeman on the Grand Trunk, was killed while on top of a freight car in St. Mary's, the train passing under a low bridge which Godbold did not see as he was looking at a circus beside the track.

      A tailor shop was also in this building which stood originally at the corner of Foundry and King Streets.

      A two story brick building with gable toward King Street and occupied by Henry Gauntley. On the second floor there was a paint shop and at the rear a wagon shop.

      A brick building, the blacksmith shop, for many years, of Sam Trout.

      A vacant lot.

      At the Foundry St. corner a frame building, Reinhold Lang's tannery with his house, alongside, one and one-half story with frame porch. Later Mr. Lang moved his business to Charles Street, the site of the present Lang Tanning Co. plant. Jacob Y. Shantz erected the Canadian Block, three story brick, corner of King and Foundry Streets, in 1856. The front was set back from the street line and had a verandah extending to the edge of the sidewalk. There were three stores, the corner, Cole and Graf, druggists; then Wm. Young, groceries and liquors; and next H. S. Huber, general store. The old blacksmith shop was used as a warehouse by Huber.

      The Canadian Block while still fairly new, burned down about 1862 in the Spring. The fire started in the corner drug store, during the night. The walls remained standing after the fire was out but were considered dangerous and were pulled down by the firemen. One wall, in this operation, fell on H. S. Huber's warehouse, which had not been burned and in which he had large quantities of supplies. The firemen were blamed for not having notified Huber so that he could have removed his goods before the wall was thrown over.


      REMINISCENCES OF BERLIN (NOW KITCHENER) By JACOB STROH Contributed by Joseph M. Snyder.

      Part I. Settlement - Early Villagers and Buildings, Waterloo Historical Society Annual Volume 1930

      ___________________

      QUEEN STREET SOUTH, EAST SIDE.

      On the corner of King Street Rehscher's vaulted cellar already spoken of.

      An open space.

      A two-story rough-cast building with two-story veranda along the Queen Street front built by Martin Anthes (father of John S. Anthes) in 1835 when it was considered one of the best houses in the village. Henry Stroh purchased this house from Mr. Anthes about 1837. Jacob Stroh was born in this house. Behind it there was a garden of about an acre of land. There were 31 pine stumps on the property when Mr. Stroh took possession and these stumps had to be laboriously removed as stump- pulling machines, which came later, were not then available. The well on the lot was only nine feet deep. Henry Stroh carried on a shoe shop in his house until he entered into partnership with Carl Kranz, on King Street.

      In 1857, after he had dissolved partnership with Kranz, Henry Stroh built a one and one-half story frame building next to his house and used it as a shoe store. Mr. Stroh continued in this shoe business until 1863 when he went into partnership with Mr. Reinhold Lang, the tanner. The Queen Street shoe shop was changed to a dwelling. Later Mr. Vanderhart, a tailor, had his shop in this building and after him Carl Englehart had it as photographer. Henry Stroh sold his house to George King. Later Charles Ahrens owned it and had it moved to the corner of Shanley and Braun Streets about 1880.

      A one and one-half story frame building erected about 1837 by Jacob Kraemer, later on Frederick Street, as spoken of. Later an addition was added to the front and the building used as the local post office, with William Davidson in charge. Later George Seip purchased the building and used it as a saloon, with a bowling alley in the rear, the first bowling alley in Berlin. William Jaffray lived in the house for a time and later William Knell, son-in-law of Mr. Seip.

      A one and one-half story frame building, originally a cooper shop, later the dwelling of Mr. Seip, after he sold the other building. In 1860 he built a brewery, known as Seip's brewery. Under the whole building he had a vaulted cellar built of field stone. Power for the brewery was supplied by a horse-power contained in an attached shed, shelter for the horses. Seip had a high reputation for good beer. He at first made his own malt, but later purchased it. After George Seip's death his son Louis continued the business until about 1880. The building was finally torn down to make room for the present auditorium.

      The cooper shop, a small one story building, with brick chimney such as coopers used to heat staves for their barrel making, operated by Henry Brickner who later had his shop at the corner of Young and King Streets. Later Adam Stein had the Queen Street cooper shop. The Berlin coopers were experts in the making of what was called tight-wear,that is water-tight barrels, in large tuns which they made for the brewers.

      A very early building, occupied by John Peters, a cabinet maker in Hoffman's factory, about 1860. The building had an outside stairway at the back. Peters was a bird lover and expert in trapping native song birds, mocking birds, cat birds, finches, etc., which he hung under his veranda roof in public display.

      On the corner of Church Street a frame house occupied by Mr. Knechtel, a weaver, about 1842-1850. Knechtel moved to a farm in Mannheim where later he was injured in the spine by a falling tree to such an extent that he was bedfast for fourteen or fifteen years. He lived to about 1871. Conrad Doering occupied the Queen Street house for a time. He also was a weaver and made coverlets, etc. The house was torn down to make room for the present one of brick built by Dr. Clemens and later occupied by the late Dr. Walters.

      Church Street.

      On the south side St. Paul's Lutheran Church.

      A one and one-half story unpainted frame building with gable towards the street, the dwelling, about 1860, of John Fleischauer, a laborer, a native of Hessen, Germany.

      A one and one-half story house occupied by E. Kern, cabinet maker, about 1860 and later by John Ansted.

      A vacant lot.

      George Street.

      Joseph Schneider originally owned all the land between George Street and Mill Street, mostly woods at that time, and extending to Benton and Eby Streets.


      REMINISCENCES OF BERLIN (NOW KITCHENER) By JACOB STROH Contributed by Joseph M. Snyder.

      Part I. Settlement - Early Villagers and Buildings, Waterloo Historical Society Annual Volume 1930

      _______________

      Between Wilmot and Francis Streets there were no buildings until 1850 when Reinhold Lang moved his tannery there from Foundry Street, now Ontario Street. Mr. Lang built for himself a two- story brick house with verandah the entire length of the building on the southerly corner of Francis and King Streets in 1855. The ground between Wilmot and Francis Streets was springy and so desirable for a tannery. The water supply was good, keeping filled a sump or water-hole dug out twelve feet square.

      About half way in the block from Francis to Water Street was a dwelling occupied by Frederick Lake, mason, about 1855.

      REMINISCENCES OF BERLIN (NOW KITCHENER) By JACOB STROH Contributed by Joseph M. Snyder.

      Part I. Settlement - Early Villagers and Buildings, Waterloo Historical Society Annual Volume 1930

  • Sources 
    1. [S7] News - ON, Waterloo, Kitchener - Berliner Journal (1859-1917), 2 Dec 1880.
      Nov. 28, 1880 Joseph Lang, son of Reinhold Lang, died in Berlin of consumption at age of 21 years, 8 months & 3 days. (Long poem follows)

    2. [S7] News - ON, Waterloo, Kitchener - Berliner Journal (1859-1917), 6 Feb 1890.
      Jan29, 1890 Barbara Lang, née Vogt, widow of Reinhold Lang who died 6 years ago, died in Berlin at age of 67 years & 10 months. (poem follows)

    3. [S3002] Vit - ON - Marriage Registration, 12249-92.
      George Lang, 41, Widower, occ. Tanner, b. Canada, res. Berlin, son of Reinhold and Barbara Vogt Lang, Married Elenora Foley, 27, b. Canada, res. Berlin, daughter of John and Margaret O'Connor Foley, Witn: George Hesse and Mary Hallett, Both of Berlin, 15 July 1892 at Berlin

    4. [S131] Census - ON, Waterloo, Waterloo Twp. - 1851, Div 4 Pg 12.
      Reinhold LANG Tanner Germany 34 Roman Catholic b. 3-Sep
      Barbara LANG Germany 30 Roman Catholic b. 10-Mar
      Margareth LANG Canada 3 Roman Catholic b. 18-Jul
      George H. LANG Canada 1 Roman Catholic b. 13-Apr

    5. [S158] Census - ON, Waterloo, Berlin - 1881, Div. 2 Pg. 73.

    6. [S123] Census - ON, Waterloo, Berlin - 1861, Div. 3 Page 23.

    7. [S7] News - ON, Waterloo, Kitchener - Berliner Journal (1859-1917), Obituary of Reinhold Lang - October 18,1883.

    8. [S7] News - ON, Waterloo, Kitchener - Berliner Journal (1859-1917), 18 Oct 1883.
      13 Oct 1883 Reinhold Lang died in Berlin at age of 65 years, 1 month & 10 days

    9. [S2676] Deutschland, Baden, Erzbistum Freiburg, katholische Kirchenbücher, 1678-1930.
      Reinold Lang
      Event Type:Baptism
      Event Place:Waibstadt, Sinsheim, Baden, Deutschland
      Event Place (Original): Waibstadt (A. Sinsheim), Baden, Deutschland
      Gender:Male
      Birth Date:3 Sep 1818
      Father's Name:Joannes Lang
      Mother's Name:Margaretha Weittmann

    10. [S229] Census - ON, Waterloo, Berlin - 1871, Sect. 2 Page 21.

    11. [S2173] Find A Grave, https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/10129401/reinhold-lang.

    12. [S131] Census - ON, Waterloo, Waterloo Twp. - 1851, Div 4 Pg 12.

    13. [S1535] Report - An Inventory of Industrial Buildings of Architectural/Historical Significance in the City of Kitchener, p. pg 12 - report of 410 King St. W.

    14. [S220] Waterloo Region Hall of Fame Waterloo Region Hall of Fame.

    15. [S2676] Deutschland, Baden, Erzbistum Freiburg, katholische Kirchenbücher, 1678-1930.
      Reinhold Lang
      Event Type:Marriage
      Event Date:9 Jun 1846
      Event Place:Mosbach, Baden, Deutschland
      Event Place (Original): Mosbach (A. Mosbach), Baden, Deutschland
      Gender:Male
      Father's Name:Johannes Lang
      Mother's Name:Margaretha Wittmann
      Spouse's Name:Barbara Vogt
      Spouse's Gender:Female
      Spouse's Father's Name:Peter Vogt
      Spouse's Mother's Name:Maria Anna Naber

  • Event Map
    Link to Google MapsBorn - 3 Sep 1818 - Waibstadt, , Baden-Württemberg, Germany Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsMarried - 9 Jun 1846 - Mosbach, , Baden-Württemberg, Germany Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsImmigration - 1847 - , Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsOccupation - tanner - 1852 - Waterloo Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsElected Office - councillor - Kitchener - 1859 - Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsOccupation - Tanner - 1861 - Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsResidence - Roman Catholic - 1861 - Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsOccupation - Tanner - 1871 - Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsResidence - Roman Catholic - 1871 - Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsPossessions - 1880 - 410 King St. W., Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsOccupation - Tanner - 1881 - Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsResidence - Roman Catholic - 1881 - Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsDied - Cause: bladder infection - 13 Oct 1883 - Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsHistoric Building - Lang Tannery redevelopment - 2006 - 151 Charles St. W., Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsHall of Fame - Waterloo Region - tanner - Bef 2012 - , Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsBuried - - Mount Hope Cemetery, Kitchener, Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
     = Link to Google Earth