Waterloo Region Generations
A record of the people of Waterloo Region, Ontario.

David Lehnen

Male 1829 - Yes, date unknown


Personal Information    |    Notes    |    Sources    |    Event Map    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name David Lehnen 
    Born 10 Sep 1829  , Germany Find all individuals with events at this location  [1
    Gender Male 
    Occupation 1852  Waterloo Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  [1
    tinsmith 
    • Lived with Jacob J. Lehnen.
    Eby ID Number Waterloo-79281 
    Died Yes, date unknown 
    Person ID I79281  Generations
    Last Modified 25 Apr 2024 

    Father Lehnen,   b. Abt 1790,   d. Yes, date unknown 
    Mother Caroline,   b. CA 1800,   d. Yes, date unknown 
    Family ID F20637  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Notes 
    • King Street Kitchener

      Benton to Eby Etreet.-Successive occupation was as follows: From Benton Street easterward, before 1855, a one-story brick building with gable facing King Street was erected at the corner and used by Jacob Benner as blacksmith shop. Later Benner moved to West Montrose and the next occupant was Valentine Gildner and after him his son John Gildner. This blacksmith shop continued until comparatively recent years. A frame building painted white, with veranda in front, was Gildner s residence..

      Vacant lot.

      A tinsmith shop owned by Mr. Lehnen. This had a nice front with two good-sized glass windows on either side of the door.

      A dwelling house built by Henry Rothaermel 1848-9. He was a carpenter and later was market clerk and tax collector.

      A lane.

      A one and one-half story building, with gable facing King Street and a verandah extending over the sidewalk, occupied by a Mr. Coleman 1855-1860. Adjoining it was a warehouse. 1 he store passed to Coleman's son and then to John Kegel. Later John George Schmidt, shoemaker, occupied the building.

      . A lane.

      A double, frame building about 50 feet along King St.; the east half used as a dwelling had a veranda; the west half was occupied by Charles Koehn, shoemaker.

      Open space.

      Dwelling of Gabriel Bowman, carpenter, who built the house.

      A one and one-half story building occupied by Balzar Allendorf, a coverlet weaver, about 1840. Allendorf later moved to New Hamburg. There was a veranda at the front of the house and under it a well. Cattle ran at large in the streets at this time and one Sunday afternoon a steer got on the veranda floor, which was partly rotted, broke through, fell into the well and had to be pulled out by means of a windlass. The building was torn down later.
      frame building ocupied by Henry Sippel, former employee of Allendorf, as a weaver's shop.

      In 1855 there was a frame building one and one-half story high along Kmg Street divided into two parts, one part a dwelling and the other part a hat shop, owned by John Kidder, who made felt hats and old-fashioned bonnets. The shop was a few steps above the sidewalk level.

      A dwelling.

      A one and one-half story frame building lengthwise with King street occupied by a widow, Mrs. Caroline Lehnen.

      A driveway.

      A two story brick building with gable toward King Street, occupied by J. J. Lehnen, son of the widow Lehnen, as a copper and tinsmith shop and a store. Lehnen made his own tinware. Later Jacob Doebler occupied this building as a bakery.

      A one and one-half story frame building with gable toward King Street occupied by George Yantz, a cabinet maker. He had a tavern in this same building for a time, and lived there.

      In the early years a garden.

      A small shop with sloping roof used by Christian Enslin as a book store and book-bindery, the first book-bindery in Berlin Enslm arrived in Berlin about 1830. Jacob Stroh remembers going with his father to the store to buy school supplies. Enslin later was editor, for Henry Eby, the publisher, of the Deutsche Canadier which began publication in 1840.

      Enslin's House, one-half story, frame, standing lengthwise with King Street and having a veranda over the door, was on the site of Dr. Hetts present office and house. At the rear there was an orchard.

      About 60 feet back of King Street there was a house built by Henry Eby. Shubel Randall, brother of George Randall, lived in it later. In 1860 the building was destroyed by fire and a servant girl Dina Hertz, perished in the flames. The walls remaining standing, the house was re-built, and is still in use.

      A brick building, abutting on King Street with gable facing the street, was Henry Eby's printing office. The main floor was she or seven feet above the sidewalk level. In 1860 this building was changed to a church and was the first Anglican Church in Berlin.

      A frame building, one end of which was used by Henry Bowman as a general store; he lived in the other end. This was known as the Bowman building. Later William Stein had a tailor shop in it and after him William Thoms used it as a shoe repair shop.

      REMINISCENCES OF BERLIN (NOW KITCHENER) By JACOB STROH Contributed by Joseph M. Snyder.

      Part I. Settlement - Early Villagers and Buildings, Waterloo Historical Society Annual Volume 1930

      __________________

      King Street - Foundry [Ontario Street] to Queen Street

      The members of the first Berlin band, organized in 1855, had rooms on the third floor of the building and met there for practice, Next to Spiers Block there was for many years a vacant lot and next to that a small, one-storey frame building with gable toward King Street, ten feet back from the street line, used by Wm. Brown, the first stone cutter and tombstone maker in Berlin. He was also painter, paper-hanger, glazer, and dealer in marble and stone. Next to this, about 1856, Lehnen Brothers had a frame building one storey and a half high, occupied as tinsmith shop and store for tinware, the shop being at the rear. In 1860 this building was replaced by the Snyder Block, a narrow, three-story brick building. Frederick Snyder, who had been apprentice at Lehnen Bros., had this building. He was very industrious and in the habit of working until one and two o'clock in the morning when he came to own the business.

      REMINISCENCES OF BERLIN (NOW KITCHENER) By JACOB STROH Contributed by Joseph M. Snyder.

      Part I. Settlement - Early Villagers and Buildings, Waterloo Historical Society Annual Volume 1930

  • Sources 
    1. [S131] Census - ON, Waterloo, Waterloo Twp. - 1851, Div 4 Pg 2.

  • Event Map
    Link to Google MapsBorn - 10 Sep 1829 - , Germany Link to Google Earth
    Link to Google MapsOccupation - tinsmith - 1852 - Waterloo Twp., Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada Link to Google Earth
     = Link to Google Earth