1848 - Yes, date unknown
||Alexander McDonald |
||21 Sep 1848
||, Ontario, Canada 
||Hespeler (Cambridge), Waterloo Region, Ontario, Canada 
|Eby ID Number
||Yes, date unknown
||2 Nov 2020 |
- Hespeler Baptist Church
The congregation was organized by South Water Street Baptist Church, Galt, and a first meeting was held on July 16, 1889 at the home of Mr. and Mrs. William Wingfield. Regular services began on July 28, 1889 in Glick's Hall with Pastor Frank Beattie from Galt as preacher; there were 30 people present. When the weather became too cool to meet in Glick's Hall, services were held as of October 27, 1889 in the Mechanics' Institute Hall above James Salt's blacksmith shop. Pastor Beattie preached for the last time on November 6th and on November 24, 1889 Rev. John M. McQuarrie, who had been called to Hespeler, preached his first sermon. Formal organization of the congregation as the Hespeler Regular Baptist Church had taken place on October 11th, but the special service to officially transfer membership of the 19 charter members to the new church was not held until December 25, 1889. A Sunday School was organized on January 15, 1890 and opened on January 26th.
Services continued in the Mechanics' Institute Hall until 1892 when plans were made to build a church. On June 12, 1892 a building lot on King Street (now Tannery Street) was purchased for $150; the contract for the building which was signed on October 14th was for $1400. A service of dedication was held on Saturday evening, February 11, 1893 at 7: 30 p.m., and the new brick church was officially opened the next day, on February 12, 1893 at 10: 30 a.m. with Rev. S.S. Bates of College Street Baptist Church in Toronto as guest speaker. The Preston Baptist Church was organized on May 7, 1895 and for most of the next decade its congregation was ministered to by the pastor from Hespeler.
Electric lights were installed in the Hespeler church in 1902 and on December 18, 1904 the first service was held in the newly enlarged and remodelled church. In 1927 the congregation joined the newly organized Union of Regular Baptist Churches of Ontario and Quebec.
Arrangements were made in February 1951 for the construction of a new church at the corner of Adam and David Streets and on April 4th the Salvation Army's offer to purchase the old church (for $8,500) was accepted. The sod-turning ceremony was held on May 1, 1951, the corner stone was laid on June 29, and on November 4, 1951, at 9: 45 a.m., the door opening service was held at the new church. The church was again enlarged with the construction of an addition in 1960. The church celebrated its 75th Anniversary in 1964.
Early pastors who followed Rev. McQuarrie (1889-1892) were Revs. William Freed (1892-1895), William Peer (1895-1896) and A.R. McDonald (1896-1901).1
1Waterloo County Churches A Research Guide To Churches Established Before 1900 By Rosemary Ambrose
King Street Baptist Church
A Baptist congregation was organized in Preston on May 7, 1895; a Sunday School was begun two years later, in 1897. Early church services were held in Ziemann Hall for Baptists from Preston and the surrounding area. Ministered to by pastors from the Hespeler Baptist Church, the congregation remained in this location for one and a half years until Knox Presbyterian Church offered use of their church building. Regular Sunday afternoon services then began. Rev. William Peer from Hespeler was the first pastor and he was followed by Rev. A.R. McDonald (1896-1901), also from Hespeler. Services were discontinued in October 1900 for a brief time until April 21, 1901 when Rev. Judson J. Whyte arrived in Hespeler, to serve as pastor to both that community and to Preston. Student ministers also conducted services until one of their number, C.R. Jones, arrived on May 15, 1904. He was ordained pastor to the congregation on November 1, 1904.
Land was purchased in 1905 at the corner of King and Dover Streets for a church which was built in 1906. A parsonage was bought in 1912 and in 1920 the church was renovated. Further improvements were made: in 1934 a basement was excavated to provide space for the Sunday School, and in 1949 the interior of the church was renovated. In 1958-1959 an addition was built for an auditorium, classrooms, kitchen, and parlour. The cornerstone laying for the addition was on December 15, 1958; dedication of the new complex was on June 1, 1959. The name of the church was changed in 1966 from Preston Baptist Church to the present name of King Street Baptist Church.2
2Waterloo County Churches A Research Guide To Churches Established Before 1900 By Rosemary Ambrose
- [S143] Census - ON, Waterloo, Hespeler - 1901, Hespeler (Village) D-2 Page 14.